Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline trouble

Options
  • 03-12-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

My dad is elderly and his landline has very low volume. When I ring for a line check -/they say the line is fine. I have checked the connections and the phone and I can barely hear incoming calls.

I am just wondering - what could the problem be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    My dad is elderly and his landline has very low volume. When I ring for a line check -/they say the line is fine. I have checked the connections and the phone and I can barely hear incoming calls.

I am just wondering - what could the problem be?

Could be the phone ...... have you tried an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I tried another phone.

The phone company say the line is ok - but I can hardly hear calls.

It must be the line

It is unclear if this is a VOIP phone 'line' or a legacy copper line.

If it is VOIP then it is possible a change of router would help. (it is posted in VOIP section :))

Please clarify which type of phone line is provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

It is just a traditional copper line - phone company believes line is grand but I have tried various phones and the quality is pretty bad.

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    It is just a traditional copper line - phone company believes line is grand but I have tried various phones and the quality is pretty bad.

OK, check the connections are secure where the phone wires coming in are terminated.
    If there are extensions wired in, then those should be temporarily disconnected while testing the line again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement