Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic funeral

Options
  • 01-12-2019 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am facing the bereavement of a family member and of course am going to the funeral. It's been a long time since I've been at a funeral so not sure of how it goes.
    Basically there will be people there, extended family, aunts, uncles and so on that I haven't seen in decades. Some it's a case of time passing and no reason to stay in touch, others we don't get along at all and are not in contact for that reason.
    Is there any way I can avoid having to deal with them? Knowing some of them they will use the situation to try and force me to talk to them and make it as awkward for me as possible as that is what they are like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Sorry to hear about the death of your family member.

You can minimise contact with them by just keeping it to sympathising and fleeting small talk.

I'm sure there will be other people there who you can stick to talk to and try to avoid much talking with the relations you're avoiding.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Depending on how close the deceased is to you, it may or may not be possible to avoid those you don't want to meet. FWIW, I've been to funerals where there were known family rifts, but all behaved properly over the few days, out of respect for the deceased, and for the occasion.

I hope that all goes well.

Advertisement