Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump constantly turning on and off

Options
  • 03-07-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

Hoping someone can help me here, basically my water pump will constantly turn on-off after I flush a toilet.

I live in an apartment and the water pump (stuart turner M330N) is hooked up to the 2 toilets and sink taps.

I had the motor replaced on the pump last year as it went dead, at the time the engineer said that it was a leak in one of the toilets that was causing the on/off activity.

So I've replaced the ballcocks in both toilets, no luck, and now I've replaced the syphons in both toilets as one was definitely leaking. It seemed ok initially (no more leaks) but 5 mins after the plumber left the pump turned on itself for 5 seconds. Then another couple of mins it went again.
    However now when I flush either toilet it just goes on/off constantly.

I have to turn off the water pump when not using the toilets/taps as its doing my head in, I've also noticed that I can no longer get any water in the sink taps too (this wasn't the case when the plumber was here, we tested the taps and water flowed even when the pump was off).

So I'm not sure what to do now, the plumber didn't really want to touch the pump and the water pump guy might just say the issue isn't with the pump again.

Any ideas what is causing this? I've googled the issue and could it be that there is a problem with a clogged water filter? Are these easy to change?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Water pumps turn on to replace lost water.

You have water loss somewhere.

e.g The Tap dripping, the dishwasher on, the shower leaky, the bath tap leaky. The toilets still leaking into the bowl.

Id start with whatever work you did on the cisterns. Check there is no leaks around the back on to the floor. and then sit and watch to see if there is water flowing into the bowl itself. If there is youve adjusted the syphons incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jerry Fireball Mudflap

listermint wrote: »
    Water pumps turn on to replace lost water.

You have water loss somewhere.

e.g The Tap dripping, the dishwasher on, the shower leaky, the bath tap leaky. The toilets still leaking into the bowl.

Id start with whatever work you did on the cisterns. Check there is no leaks around the back on to the floor. and then sit and watch to see if there is water flowing into the bowl itself. If there is youve adjusted the syphons incorrectly.

Thanks for the reply listermint.

Yeah I've checked the cisterns for leaks, checked the floors etc, but all looks ok. Which is why I started to think it could be the pump itself.

One thing I can't understand is why the taps no longer get water when the pump is off? Previously they got water (but obviously not as strong as when the pump is on) and when the plumber was here we tested it. But now they just get a small drip.

Is that related to the piping? The plumber said the taps should get water regardless of whether the pump is on or off.

Thanks for the reply listermint.

Yeah I've checked the cisterns for leaks, checked the floors etc, but all looks ok. Which is why I started to think it could be the pump itself.

One thing I can't understand is why the taps no longer get water when the pump is off? Previously they got water (but obviously not as strong as when the pump is on) and when the plumber was here we tested it. But now they just get a small drip.

Is that related to the piping? The plumber said the taps should get water regardless of whether the pump is on or off.

Most apartments have none or have a very small water tank. If your apartment has none then the water pump will have to come on to supply you with water. This is how its designed to be.

IF you have a tank then you will have a supply that would work for the bathroom taps and toilet only.

Your kitchen tap is off the pump always.

Most apartments have none or have a very small water tank. If your apartment has none then the water pump will have to come on to supply you with water. This is how its designed to be.

IF you have a tank then you will have a supply that would work for the bathroom taps and toilet only.

Your kitchen tap is off the pump always.

Yes I have a water tank which is why it should supply the taps and toilets regardless of the pump being on/off? This used to happen but only recently stopped, so that's why I'm starting to think something else is wrong beyond a possible leak.

And yes you are correct, the kitchen taps are off the pump so they are working fine along with the washing machine.

Yes I have a water tank which is why it should supply the taps and toilets regardless of the pump being on/off? This used to happen but only recently stopped, so that's why I'm starting to think something else is wrong beyond a possible leak.

And yes you are correct, the kitchen taps are off the pump so they are working fine along with the washing machine.

You will have to check if the tank is full, if its not the pump will activate until it is.

• Advertisement

You will have to check if the tank is full, if its not the pump will activate until it is.

Just checked it there and it is full, I even turned back on the pump and held the ballcock in the tank as far up as it would go and the pump still kept on going on/off.

So the tank is full yet no water flows through the taps when the pump is off. And previously it did allow water through (at a slower rate obviously).

Although the motor on the pump got replaced last year, the pump itself is probably 9 or 10 years old I think so do filters or other parts need to be replaced every so often on them? Would that block the water coming through when its off?

Advertisement