Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall crisis

Options
  • 20-11-2018 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I took tiles off of my kitchen walls and some of the second coat of plaster has come off the walls in random areas.
    Another thing is that where my new tiles start the plaster isn’t straight and is right on a corner edge. The plaster actually dips back meeting a 90 degree corner but as my new tile are a large format, about quarter of the tile doesn’t make contact with the wall and would be sticking out by about 1.5cm after been put up.
    So my question is that should I get it replastered to fix all the patches that have came away and to fix the edge of the wall where it dips back?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

You are going to be tiling over it anyway, so I would say no, dont plaster, or just do it yourself and roughly/but flatly smooth over it.

OR just tile over it without plastering.
    As for the surface not being perfectly flat, you could try lower the high points by knocking some plaster off OR if the overall vertical level doesnt change, work around it by adding extra tile adhesive.
    Is it really 1.5cms? sounds like a lot, you could get a piece of string, pin it at one end and pull it out to the far end of where tiles are to go and pin it and measure what the differences are and then do that for increasing heights to see if it's as bad as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Stef, definately don't plaster it, if you're going to tile.

IMO unless the holes are huge the tile cement will fill them.

All that aside though, you've posted in the kitchen wizard sponsored forum. It will only be used where the company makes an announcement or someone posts about its products. You'll get more response from the general DIY forum.

Advertisement