Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I know the Jones farce is a black eye for the sport but realistically it's never going to stop happening in combat sports. There's just too much money to be made (or lost) for these incidents not to keep happening. Its not exclusive to mma either, look at Canelo only last weekend, and even Anthony Joshua is fighting a drugs cheat this weekend in Povetkin. Two wrongs don't make a right but it's just the reality of combat sports tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Alot more uproar about Jones coming back than Brock. Strange that.

I know, and I somewhat agree but how many times has Jones been caught now, 3? Fool me once and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Most people were the same with Brock, but he also will have served 12 months by the time he fights again after his first offence. (the same as JJ)

It's Jones second time getting caught on the juice, and USADA guidelines say your second ban has to be double the first one at a minimum, yet he barely gets 15 months. Doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

from a fans view i think it will be good having jones back as he makes good fights.

however as i stated earlier him been giving 15 months is an absolute disgrace. Jones is a tramp of a man who wouldnt lie straight in his bed. he just keeps lying. swore to ariel that he didnt have a coke issue and only tried it once then admits to USADA that he was doing it before and after his last fight with DC.

anyone saying he deserves a third fight with DC straight away deserves to be shot at with balls of their own sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

i hope Jones comes back and slaps DC around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dana has just said that Jones definitively won't be on the 230 card at MSG.

Put the house on it happening, eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Hunt vs Saki for UFC Adelaide in the works.

JUST LET THEM BANG BRO!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thats a great co-main fight and farewell for Hunt, hopefully it gets signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

**** it, give them gloves and put then in a ring. UFC K1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Joanna v Shevchenko set for 231.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1042956041204449280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Fantastic news! Although not officially announced yet, Holloway v Ortega is expected to be the main event for that card too. War Everybody!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Glenn Robinson has died of a heart attack

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

cletus wrote: »
    Glenn Robinson has died of a heart attack

Ah Jesus.

I really liked him on TUF on the season that Usman won.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The ufc are really bossing it with the fights being put together for the latter half of this year.

Great time to be a fan.

I wonder what odds on Montaño ever fighting in the UFC again.

Think you have to favour Shevchenko in that. Too big, too strong. JJ KOed and comfortably decisioned by Namajunas and hasn't stopped anybody in over three years.

Shevchenko has also beaten Joanna a few times in kickboxing I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,083 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJ KOed and comfortably decisioned by Namajunas and hasn't stopped anybody in over three years.

I doubt be 115ers will ever be know for their finishes, KOs at least. JJ has the record for most SW KOs with 2. Rose has the finishes record, 4.

Agree that Shevchenko will be too much for JJ. They were two divisions apart not long ago. Much harder for a female to make up that kind of mass deficit in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

These cross division fights and fighters moving up to more natural weights are really adding some bit of magic to bookings again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Paully D wrote: »
    Shevchenko has also beaten Joanna a few times in kickboxing I believe?

3 times. Shes one of the greatest fighters of all time. 18-3 in MMA, 58-2 in kickboxing, 2-0 in boxing. Combined thats 78-5 across all 3 disciplines! And shes only 30. :eek:

Brock will have served his suspension. No different to any fighter who has popped.

Or to look at it another way.
    Brock and Jones both popped at UFC200.
    Jones came back, at 213, popped a second time. And is now cleared to fight from November, a few months before Brock.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mellor wrote: »
    Brock will have served his suspension. No different to any fighter who has popped.

Or to look at it another way.
    Brock and Jones both popped at UFC200.
    Jones came back, at 213, popped a second time. And is now cleared to fight from November, a few months before Brock.

That's because Brock retired and his ban was put on hold. If Brock didn't retire he would have been eligible to fight over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,544 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

cliggg wrote: »

Fantastic news! Although not officially announced yet, Holloway v Ortega is expected to be the main event for that card too. War Everybody!!!
    They need a great back up, no way in hell Holloway makes weight .

That's because Brock retired and his ban was put on hold. If Brock didn't retire he would have been eligible to fight over a year ago.

I'm aware. But I don't think that's relevant in this context.
    The question was why people are more put out by
    Jones than Brock returning. The point is that Brock will serve his full ban (plus an 18 month "retirement"). Jones popped twice and isn't serving a full ban.

If they gave Jones 18 months at the start. I'd be ok with it. But giving him 15 after more or less 15minths is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm aware. But I don't think that's relevant in this context.
    The question was why people are more put out by
    Jones than Brock returning. The point is that Brock will serve his full ban (plus an 18 month "retirement"). Jones popped twice and isn't serving a full ban.

If they gave Jones 18 months at the start. I'd be ok with it. But giving him 15 after more or less 15minths is farcical.

The majority of these cases are farcical too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Doping_cases_in_mixed_martial_arts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Barao nearly 6lbs over for his fight tomorrow. Disgrace

ASOT wrote: »

Can't be too far away from getting cut. He's finished anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Can't be too far away from getting cut. He's finished anyway.

Yeah a combination of TJ and USADA ended him to be fair. I'd say if he loses he's getting his p45.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »

USADA isn't perfect but atleast it's weeded out the likes of that fraud.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement