Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The MMA Coahing Credentials of Ido Portal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

WarZ wrote: »
    Why was he in Conor's corner barking instructions on Saturday?

Maybe he was hypnotised to be a dog? :confused:

If not he really needs to see a doctor if he barks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I'm sorry but something just doesn't add up. If he only spends 2 weeks downtime with McGregor then he wouldn't be in McGregor's corner alongside Kavanagh and Roddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm sorry but something just doesn't add up. If he only spends 2 weeks downtime with McGregor then he wouldn't be in McGregor's corner alongside Kavanagh and Roddy.

Hardly matters who's the 3rd man in the corner. Often it's just someone to hold the stool and the sponge. Often another fighter from the same camp. The coach and the trainer will be the ones inside the cage in between rounds giving advice.

Hardly matters who's the 3rd man in the corner. Often it's just someone to hold the stool and the sponge. Often another fighter from the same camp. The coach and the trainer will be the ones inside the cage in between rounds giving advice.

He was shouting instructions to Conor during the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

He was shouting instructions to Conor during the fight.

ffs I was there & there were about 10k+ people shouting instructions at both fighters during the fight

do you consider me 1 of McGregor's trainers now too? :pac:

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    ffs I was there & there were about 10k+ people shouting instructions at both fighters during the fight

do you consider me 1 of McGregor's trainers now too? :pac:

Were you in Conor's corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I think he needs to go, but what do I know.

One thing I do know is that when a fight is changed from someone like RDA to a lanky boxer like Nate, you should probably be putting the hippy stuff aside and start preparing for a completely different fight. As far as I'm aware, Conor wasn't training with JK and Roddy during much of the time since the opponent was changed, but was training with Ido.

I also personally think it's cringey, and reflects poorly on Conor, for this guy to be posting about "busting heads" during weigh ins, or posting videos of him teaching Conor a kick as if he has a clue. Gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Here's his last contribution to the rugby forum.

Hopefully the mods do similar here.
    Wit, great grammar and topical jokes. You truly are a beacon of the rugby forum connachta :)

Mod: Banned for persistent trolling

floorpie wrote: »
    I think he needs to go, but what do I know.

One thing I do know is that when a fight is changed from someone like RDA to a lanky boxer like Nate, you should probably be putting the hippy stuff aside and start preparing for a completely different fight. As far as I'm aware, Conor wasn't training with JK and Roddy during much of the time since the opponent was changed, but was training with Ido.

I also personally think it's cringey, and reflects poorly on Conor, for this guy to be posting about "busting heads" during weigh ins, or posting videos of him teaching Conor a kick as if he has a clue. Gtfo.

That's actually a very valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I think your underestimating his role in the camp. Read his own quotes, he is very much involved in all aspects of Conor's training and was in his corner on Saturday night!

Apparently Ido chooses Conor's steaks for him too. If you needed any further proof he's too involved...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Warz, your posting in this thread reminds me of this......

tumblr_nlol4mSY5n1qzox0ro1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think your underestimating his role in the camp. Read his own quotes, he is very much involved in all aspects of Conor's training and was in his corner on Saturday night!
    I think you are overestimating his role tbh.
    His quotes are vague philosophical waffle.

Ido has developed excellant high level movement and flexibility training protocols. He is also very expensive, and the same stuff can be gotten for free, or for a fraction of the cost.

Cost aside, he is very good at what he does.
    He isn't an MMA coach, and he isn't coaching Conor.
    Ido Portal describes himself as a movement expert. From what I can gather he has never trained a top level MMA athlete before yet here he is leading a training session.
    That's not a MMA training session. It looks like a mobility warm up.
    I believe the first time that was sen was actually John Kavanagh recording it from the house. :cool:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/_DLSLOAqP-/

He also said;

https://twitter.com/john_kavanagh/status/675218576291315712

He himself has stated that;

But that's not all, he goes into more depth regarding his role;
    The movement teacher must be a dancer. The movement teacher must be a strength and conditioning coach. The movement teacher must be an acrobat. The movement teacher must be a therapist.
    Which part do you disagree with? Have you done much mobility/flexibility training?
    It involves a huge amount of strength tbh, flexibility is not have long or stretch muscles, its having muscle that are strengthed in end range. I would have thought the link with dancing, acrobatics and gymnastics was obvious.
    Ditto therapy, that sort of protocol is very tough on the body, and even a casual practitioner would have at least a basic manual therapy knowledge.

Conor was into manual therapy, foam rolling, flexibilty etc long before Ido showed up.

He also spars with Connor using a big stick. Apparently this is more useful than actually sparring with actual training partners.
    Do you think Conor is doing that to replace stand up sparring?
    Why do you think that?
    Last weekend Ido Portal cornered Conor McGregor, barking out instructions as Conor began to lose.
    Why was he in Conor's corner barking instructions on Saturday?
    What instructions did he give?
    What instructions did John give?

Bump

Axel doesn't want discussion of the Ido Pothole in other threads so please direct all your posts here.

Mod Edit:

Its Axwell not Axel and you are banned for a week for ignoring what I said and your persistent trolling. Keep it up and the next one will be much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

This is a random comment but Ido saying our rise to the top of the food chain is down to our movement is in my opinion wrong. Our movement will never be as good as other animals. Our brain however is the deciding factor. Back to the topic. I think Ido is a new trend that was used to bring more publicity. on top of that fighting is pretty much entirely movement based so having someone who looks at movement in many different ways can be helpful.

Also i doubt Ido was allowed have any major say in connors fight training. . if he did than connors couch is to blame for not monitoring the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Nathan G wrote: »
    Also i doubt Ido was allowed have any major say in connors fight training. . if he did than connors couch is to blame for not monitoring the situation.

I think a lot of it came off the back of the Embedded episode where Ido is seen (on the 26th of Feb) helping motivate Conor to do muscle-ups on rings, which was later called out by at least one mma sports scientist as being inappropriate so close to the fight giving how taxing they are (according to him anyway).

Not a fan of this Ido movement bollox myself either (think Nick Diaz sums the guy up well here) but I'd agree that if something takes place in training which isn't appropriate then it's Kavanagh's fault not really anyone's elses given that at the end of the day he is the coach. I thought it was interesting to note that in the Win or Learn interview Conor said (when emphasizing how on point he now is compared to 196):
    "I'm very fight orientated now, I'm not swinging out of gymnastic rings and I certainly won't be on fight week.

"Everything is specific to the fight.

"John is overlooking every session and managing every session".

That last line to me is very telling as it implies the contrary was the case for 196.

Its going to be an interesting fight, I still think diaz will take it but it will prove to be a hard fought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Not a fan of this Ido bollox myself either (think Nick Diaz sums the guy up well here) but I'd agree that if something takes place in training which isn't appropriate then it's Kavanagh's fault not really anyone's elses given that at the end of the day he is the coach.

I remember thinking at the time how strange it was that Kavanagh and Roddy traveled over to the US only a few days before the fight while Conor had been in LA and Vegas for a few weeks training with Ido and doing his own thing. I'm pretty sure I arrived in Vegas as a fan going to the fight and the build up before Kavanagh and Roddy arrived in Vegas!

I wonder was it just a case that everyone in the SBG camp was taking Diaz lightly? I can't imagine that they all genuinely thought Ido was the best man for the job of training Conor the week before the fight. I personally have no issue with Ido helping Conor out on movement but his involvement should be limited to just that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I remember thinking at the time how strange it was that Kavanagh and Roddy traveled over to the US only a few days before the fight while Conor had been in LA and Vegas for a few weeks training with Ido and doing his own thing. I'm pretty sure I arrived in Vegas as a fan going to the fight and the build up before Kavanagh and Roddy arrived in Vegas!

I wonder was it just a case that everyone in the SBG camp was taking Diaz lightly? I can't imagine that they all genuinely thought Ido was the best man for the job of training Conor the week before the fight. I personally have no issue with Ido helping Conor out on movement but his involvement should be limited to just that.

Kavanagh had a heap of fighters on Bamma If I remember correctly so thats why he was still in Dublin.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Kavanagh had a heap of fighters on Bamma If I remember correctly so thats why he was still in Dublin.

It's a strange dilemma alright. What do you do? Go supervise the training of your biggest star in the build up to his UFC fight or supervise the training of most of the rest of the gym in the build up to their fights and be there to corner them on the night? Not a decision I would want to be faced with.

• Advertisement

I think helping connor should have been his main goal. Reason being it generates interest in your gym and makes a good profit. This in turn helps the other up and coming fighters as they can now ride on the back of the fact that their gym has an MMA champion. Still hard choice but I think its worth taking a few months for.

Nathan G wrote: »
    I think helping connor should have been his main goal. Reason being it generates interest in your gym and makes a good profit. This in turn helps the other up and coming fighters as they can now ride on the back of the fact that their gym has an MMA champion. Still hard choice but I think its worth taking a few months for.

I would be inclined to agree with that logic as well. That's what makes me think that Conor and team collectively took Diaz a bit lightly. As in, the attitude seems to have been that Conor has this covered so we don't need to be there for the full lead up and can focus on the other fighters in Bamma.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Has anybody ever looked at his videos or looked into movement training a little more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Has anybody ever looked at his videos or looked into movement training a little more ?

seen a good few of his videos and i dont really know enough to criticize his credentials but to an outsider looking in, some of the stuff he can do is cool as fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Depp wrote: »
    seen a good few of his videos and i dont really know enough to criticize his credentials but to an outsider looking in, some of the stuff he can do is cool as fcuk

That's a valid observation but..........and this is important......a cat playing a piano is also cool as ****..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Conor seems to enjoy his company. If it helps him stay loose during fight week it's no bad thing.

Wonder is he the 4th man in the corner this time. Conor Wallace will be in stands watching so it's John, Roddy, Dillon and one other. I'd have to lean towards Sergey as he's been a huge part of the camp but it'd be cool to see Ido back :)

Conor seems to enjoy his company. If it helps him stay loose during fight week it's no bad thing.

Wonder is he the 4th man in the corner this time. Conor Wallace will be in stands watching so it's John, Roddy, Dillon and one other. I'd have to lean towards Sergey as he's been a huge part of the camp but it'd be cool to see Ido back :)

Ido Portal training with Michael 'Venom' Page !!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=In4j5rdECHQ

He does seem a bit of a prat but some of his stuff is very impressive

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZkv8u32g4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭MichaelScarn

Portal markets himself well, can do some incredible things with his body and he was lucky that McGregor found him.

In saying that he is a bit of a hipster prat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depp wrote: »
    This.

He's not an MMA coach. And hasn't ever claimed to be afaik (despite what some people like to say ;) ) He's clearly is fantastic shape, and is probably a amazing resource on flexibility, movement and the like.

He also, is very protective of big brand and his IP. He charges a lot money, and is a bit cult with his "group". There are guys out there with similar knowledge, who'll part with it for cheaper.
    That said, this is rather specific stuff. Id always going to be more expensive than a 60 min session with a random PT.
    Portal markets himself well, can do some incredible things with his body and he was lucky that McGregor found him.

In saying that he is a bit of a hipster prat

Why do you think he was lucky that McGregor found him?
    He was just as-famous before McGregor, and I doubt many people have come his way due to McGregor.

Advertisement