Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Toronto?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Prob not the right place to ask but said id throw it up anyway. Group of us heading to Toronto for UFC 129 at the end of april so just askign to see fi anyone had any advice on good places to go/not to go, food, at night etc etc, staying at The Westin :)
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Tones69 wrote: »
    Prob not the right place to ask but said id throw it up anyway. Group of us heading to Toronto for UFC 129 at the end of april so just askign to see fi anyone had any advice on good places to go/not to go, food, at night etc etc, staying at The Westin :)
    Any advice appreciated

If it's good food your looking for in Canada hit The Keg...best fecking steak, chicken anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

you're in luck one of the mods here lives in/near toronto (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Thats probably me. Unfortunately, I will have left Toronto before April as I am sure it will be an awesome event. I assume you are staying at the Westin Harbour Castle, which is close to the Rogers Centre. Its also close to the entertainment district, which is the main area for clubs in the city. Personally I prefer the bars up around College-Bathurst for a more chilled atmosphere. Do check out Toronto Island, and Kensington market if you get a chance. Do you plan on training in Toronto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

dunkamania wrote: »
    Thats probably me. Unfortunately, I will have left Toronto before April as I am sure it will be an awesome event. I assume you are staying at the Westin Harbour Castle, which is close to the Rogers Centre. Its also close to the entertainment district, which is the main area for clubs in the city. Personally I prefer the bars up around College-Bathurst for a more chilled atmosphere. Do check out Toronto Island, and Kensington market if you get a chance. Do you plan on training in Toronto?

Cheers thats good to know,and yep its The Westin harboru castle. Sounds like i picked a good spot and hotel so :). Ah wont get much of a chance to do any training there dude apart from a bit in the gym in the hotel, id love to but fri sat and sun gonna be hectic days really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Toronto is my favourite city in the world - I love the place!

Check out Fight Club (http://www.fight-club.ca/) - well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Do you plan on training in Toronto?

Dunkamania,

Any suggestions on good training spots ?

Toronto is very large and very sprawly, so it depends on where your staying.

Let me know where you are staying, and what your interested in (MMA, bjj, muay thai) ,and I will give you some recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭deisedelight

hey i currently live in toronto. loads of good spots here. feel free to PM if you wanna know more. myself and a mate will also be going to the same event plus magee v bute.

deisedelight,

I am training in Mecca, where are you training?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Randy couture has Extremcouture in Toronto,couldnt think of a better place to tryout training.Might be a bit pricey but if u can afford it id give it shot,pay for a week and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Toronto is very large and very sprawly, so it depends on where your staying.

Let me know where you are staying, and what your interested in (MMA, bjj, muay thai) ,and I will give you some recommendations

Dunk,

Will be over to TTO soon for a month, but mates moved from Bathhurst area ... awaiting his new address !!

BJJ clubs, or any recs you have

davmol wrote: »
    Randy couture has Extremcouture in Toronto,couldn't think of a better place to tryout training.Might be a bit pricey but if u can afford it id give it shot,pay for a week and see how it goes.

Extreme is definitely one of the better places to train in Toronto, but its a bit out of the way. About 15km, so fine if you have a car, but difficult otherwise.

I train at MECCA, which is on Queen and Bathurst, very close to downtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭deisedelight

deisedelight,

I am training in Mecca, where are you training?

Hey dunkamania ,

dont train mma .

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

hi dunk,
    i heard you were in toronto from theshane - hope you are enjoying it - lol , you train at queen an bathhurst ? - i was a doorman at 'the bigbop' on queen and bathhurst ! - mma of a kind i suppose - i go back most summers -in my humble opinion if you can train with mark bocek - he is great - best jits in the ufc - he moves around - i trained with him at kombat arts - stevelinmartialarts.com is very techncal - 2 different locations and omar salvaso is also great.Did not go to xtremecouture - short classes , a bit corporate in feel , only heard that though. There are some good openmat days where all bjj lads get together, all the bjj community are very welcoming - you will feel at home anywhere.
    For the original poster - toronto is a great city - take in a hockey game , for food try chinatown or greektown on bloor east. i agree with dunk - the live music scene around college st is good - but for general clubbing 'the entertainment district' is all you would need - i worked in many of the clubs there - safe,fun, lively - check out the stripbars also - house of lancaster on yonge st. comes to mind !, your hotel is very good - really good make your own omelletes there, and a gym as well.

enjoy toronto,

bill mccann

Cool, il check out these spots, il have to make a little planner out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tony, who did you book your flights with? Did you book the hotel directly or as part of a package?

Phil

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Tony, who did you book your flights with? Did you book the hotel directly or as part of a package?

Phil

Booked both at once dude yeah, Hotel and flights with americanholidays.com

Advertisement