Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crossfit & MMA

• 26-01-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Do you think crossfit is a good strenght & conditioning program for MMA?

Comments

I wouldn't say that it's a good strength and condidioning program for mma in it's own right, but its workouts or other metcons definitely have a place in a program.
    Personally, I use a combination of traditional strength/power training with metcons and crossfit wods and find it works quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Do any successful mma fighters use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

_oveless wrote: »
    Do any successful mma fighters use it?

Bj Penn did, not sure if he does anymore. Jason McDonald has a Crossfit box in Canada.
    John Hackleman is involved in the Crosspit stuff so I'd assume he incorporated into Chucks training.
    All MMA fighters do WO's similar to what you'd find in Crossfit, it varies so much you'll find similarities/crossover in loads of systems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was going to mention BJ too
    He is in one of their videos on the mainsite, but you can tell its a few years back

The guys all train in mma gyms which are unlikely to be crossfit also.
    But crossfit is just a brand, they all likely do CF style metcons as part of a larger program. Maybe Barry from IP might give a more knowledgeable opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

CF's biggest weakness is the lack of planned progression.

The workouts are pretty much 100% random, despite what they'll try to tell you.

Crossfit "style" workouts, which used to just been known as high intensity circuits..., are good for general conditioning. But if you go into a fight having only trained CF mainsite workouts, you're gonna get murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 shinobi academy

anyone know of any places in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

google crossfit dublin like :confused::confused::confused:

There are are a few crossfit affiliates in ireland, two are in dublin.
    google will give you the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

For a high level athlete Crossfit will lack the specificity required for the particular sport. This is across the board not just MMA. So I think the original question has to be phrased in the context of what level a fighter is at.

At the very start of MMA training I think that the training itself will drive enough adaptation. From that point where competitive performance can be more greatly improved by the development of attributes than more mat time then I think Crossfit is great. The diveristy and general improvement in a wide range of skills linked together is excellent up to a high intermediate stage. At which point I think that the methods are still valid but require a more focused approach to programming, occasionally focusing on the individual components of fitness to shore up weaknesses.

Shane, The

• Advertisement
Advertisement