Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake Irish names.

• 20-07-2020 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Made up first names never before heard, 'as Gaeilge'
    English sounding surnames being 'translated' to sound Irish. (ex. walker / shiúlaí........ King / an Rí)
    Is this a thing now or am I getting it wrong?
    Are people really that sad and desperate for a gaelic identity?
    I dont really speak Irish so its hard to tell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Maybe the ingerlish way was a translation from gaelic and now it’s going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I have a French name... hugenot name, in primary school they just stuck a Ní between my first and last name, My 8 year old self was always raging I didn’t get a translation for my name..
    maybe that’s how they do it now, translate as best they can so little jonnie is not missing out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

gogo wrote: »
    I have a French name... hugenot name, in primary school they just stuck a Ní between my first and last name, My 8 year old self was always raging I didn’t get a translation for my name..
    maybe that’s how they do it now, translate as best they can so little jonnie is not missing out?

Seánín ?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

English sounding surnames being 'translated' to sound Irish. (ex. walker / shiúlaí........ King / an Rí)

What do they do to the Polish and West African names?

a big aul mangled gallige name on social media seems to be a decent indicator of pbp loon types ive noticed

• Advertisement

Fritzbox wrote: »
    What do they do to the Polish and West African names?

Most names have an English version.

Sean - John - Jan - yohana

Irish - English - polish - Swahili

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Ah, this thread is about first names only?

But in any case, many foreign first names don't have an Irish form anyway - and any Pole living in England called Krzysztof remains a Krzysztof surely? why would anyone in Ireland try to change it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Ah, this thread is about first names only?

But in any case, many foreign first names don't have an Irish form anyway - and any Pole living in England called Krzysztof remains a Krzysztof surely? why would anyone in Ireland try to change it?

Christy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

In the Irish surname context that's actually the anglicized version of Conroy or O' Conry or in Irish, MacConraio, O' Conraio then leading into Mac an Righ (son of King).

Interestingly, O'Cionga now seems to be the standard as that is how I was referred to in Primary school, in my fathers time it was the aforementioned Mac an Righ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Always found some place names translation back to Irish as strange.

Leixlip was named by the Norse originally as Laux hlaup which means salmon leap and became anglisised to Leixlip. The Irish name was translated from this to be Leim an Bradain.

Surely there was an Irish name for the area before the Norsemen arrived which would be more authentic than this direct translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Sure those very surnames were probably butchered when they were Anglicised which is why they sound so strange when you hear the original Irish version.

Sure those very surnames were probably butchered when they were Anglicised which is why they sound so strange when you hear the original Irish version.

Not really, the English Ordnance Survey actually did a good job of keeping the essential Irish meaning in placenames most of the time direct translations into english.

Irish civilians were even employed to help with their research, most famous of which was John O' Donovan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Is that really a thing? I doubt it. The closest I ever heard was people calling Nigel/Niall. Just because they sound similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Not really, the English Ordnance Survey actually did a good job of keeping the essential Irish meaning in placenames most of the time direct translations into english.

Irish civilians were even employed to help with their research, most famous of which was John O' Donovan.

Surnames is a different story through with many having very little resemblance to their original Irish origin form phonetically.

Surnames is a different story through with many having very little resemblance to their original Irish origin form phonetically.

Depends on the surname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They shouldnt be translating it though.

If your name is Jan, its not sean and vice versa.

Cant see many Irish people called Sean going abroad and just agreeing to be called John now.

Advertisement