Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are farmers ever happy?

Options

Comments

Take the farmer’s “beef” with the meat processors, it’s quite clear to everyone that the processors and the supermarkets are making a tidy profit.

How are City folk supposed to show their support for the farmers there? If we stop buying meat products the farmers are still going to get a “raw” deal.
    There is nothing that Irish consumers of beef can do, or are really expected to do, because over 90 per-cent of our beef is exported anyway.

The Government could do lots of things. They are trying to get EU protected status for Irish beef, ideally suckler beef, which will shore up a lot of farms in the West and in the border counties, these are guys that are typically not running viable farms and are the worst-affected by factory prices.

There also needs to be legislation to prevent sharp practices in the beef industry, mainly between producers and processors, like unilaterally amending contracts and punitive clauses in contracts and all sorts of dodgy stuff that goes on -- I don't know a lot of detail about that, but that's apparently an important source of revenue loss.

And finally and most importantly, everyone needs to open the books and offer more transparency, such as how much retailers are paying processors. They don't have to show the farmers or their competitors this information, but some kind of third party, like a regulator. There is currently no such overseeing authority in this country, which is leaving farmers wide open for manipulation or dare I say collusion.

There are probably many more things that I haven;t thought of, but this isn't something that farmers, or consumers, by protesting will resolve. It has to have political will, and it didn't have enough of that under the last Government.

Every one million revenue earned in beef farming raises 2 million for the economy, much of which is generated in the regions. Its importance for the regions, but also the economy as a whole, is hard to overestimate and something must be done by a small but influential cabal of middlemen.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I live in an area with plenty of dairy farmers. There is no shortage of money between them. Of course, they don't admit to this and they constantly go on about how broke they are, but the huge mansions and new jeeps
    What do you want them to do, ride a bike with a calf slung over their shoulders?

At least dairy is one system where yes it is possible to make a living. But it's also the most labour intensive. If you're working from 6am to 9pm, you deserve to have an averagely comfortable income, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

This thread kinda didn't go the way the OP expected I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

893bet wrote: »
    7 days a week.

365 days a year

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

5% of farmers are under 35
    50% of farmers are over 55
    30% of which are over 65

Are farmers ever happy? Thats a tough question but someday there won't be any farmers and then this country is absolutely F'd. Farmers way over retirement age with sons and daughters not wanting or able to take over cause of how bad the money and future is paints a dire picture of Ireland full of abandoned farms.

When we buy all our beef in from the ashes of the Amazon cause we didn't support farming in Ireland nobody will be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NINTCHDBPICT000444099509.jpg

Depends who's milking them at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Angus2018 wrote: »
    30% of which are over 65

Are farmers ever happy? Thats a tough question but someday there won't be any farmers and then this country is absolutely F'd. Farmers way over retirement age with sons and daughters not wanting or able to take over cause of how bad the money and future is paints a dire picture of Ireland full of abandoned farms.

When we buy all our beef in from the ashes of the Amazon cause we didn't support farming in Ireland nobody will be happy.

So....that's.. a ..yes then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

30% of which are over 65

I'm very surprised that 50% of farmers are 55 or under, that's a nice statistic to read.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I live in Germany, and I can assure you that farmers over here are a very vocal group, have strong representation in Government, and still have the power to influence policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hi, ye Jackeens! Farmers have shotguns, JCBs and acres and acres of land out woop-woop. Just sayin', like... :D

You left out the inbred part woop woop

• Advertisement

The jackeen has very little understanding of the role that agriculture and farming plays in the food chain. Yes, even their 'legendary' batter burger has Irish beef in them.

It would appear they also have very little understanding of the role of subsidies in making that food affordable.

I wonder what Brazilian beef will taste like at McDonald's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Ah jayus, your some rascal starting this one op.

We are at our happiest when we're moaning and groaning. (i am anyway)

ruwithme wrote: »
    Ah jayus, your some rascal starting this one op.

We are at our happiest when we're moaning and groaning. (i am anyway)

I'm happiest when giving and getting stick, moaning and groaning is for the weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I live in an area with plenty of dairy farmers. There is no shortage of money between them. Of course, they don't admit to this and they constantly go on about how broke they are, but the huge mansions and new jeeps both themselves and their spouse/children all have tell a different story.

Are they even happy? The ones I know seem pretty content anyway!

They can build huge mansions because they generally own the site they’ve built on.. most farmers do an awful lot of the build work themselves, before ever looking for a mortgage... it’s well known in banks that by the time a farmer come in for a mortgage the house will be already at the first floor. And they will have got it there themselves with very little money ...
    Most of those Jeep’s will be on finance, They drive big jeeps because they are practical for farming and hence double job with work that needs doing, including driving over land.

There is money to be made in dairy, but I’d never begrudge them it.. it’s an absolute calling of a job, 24/7 352 days of the year....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Most farmers are happy when their children do very well in school, go to university, and get a decent job that doesn't involve farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

In the quiet words of the Lord Weird Slough Feg, "Awake, you ghouls! Drink their ichor! Feast on their giblets!" :D

"Kiss my axe!" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id imagine food safety and having our own food supply is an absolultley fantastic thing to have in this country, seeing as we are not very industrialised as regards steel, car or other heavy industry. the world is going in to a dangerous age , we really have to watch out not to sully the one decent homogenous industry we have which is irish food. you only need to look at america and its food industry to see that if we lose family farm models we are really in the shhit, leaving our golden goose in the hands of big corporations. the dairy sector seems to be doing ok but its our beef industry we as the ordinary irish person should all cheerlead and support, Larry Goodman and co are doing there utmost to break small family farms this would be disastrous. I think the likes of our tech industry like intel and HP are probably on borrowed time before they slink off into the night to somewhere in south east Asia. same with pharma companies. we need to hold onto our food industry and its green image for all its worth and keep it in the hands of ordinary irish people as best we can. Wasnt this what we wanted for the whole of 15th to 20th century? for irish land to be in hands of the ordinary working class irish person?

gogo wrote: »
    There is money to be made in dairy, but I’d never begrudge them it.. it’s an absolute calling of a job, 24/7 352 days of the year....
    And just in case anyone thinks it's big bucks, the average dairy-farm income is 60k per year.

I think beef is somewhere around half that, and less again for sucklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I know a few farmers, ruddy country folk. Based on a small sample size, the answer is yes. 4 out of 4 are happy. 3 out of 4 are gamblers, 1 out of 4 are successful gamblers, the 2 that are not lost in order of most successful first, 5 million quid and 22 million quid. They are still happily gambling away, but probably won't win back their few quid, they seem to be on the back foot consistently, and are probably betting money that has been in the mattress for years. So in summary, 4 happy farmers, 2 successful ones and 2 unsuccessful. In fact the only unhappy farmer I ever heard about was the farmer who applied for membership of the big smelly farmers association. He was turned down twice for not being smelly enough, so decided to apply a third time. He jumped into a slurry bath, didn't wash himself for 3 months, and wiped his arse with the application form. One day a letter arrived from the big smelly farmers association, and he opened it up, confident that he would be accepted. The letter began with "Dear Sir" but the next word was unfortunately. He could not believe that he had been rejected for a third time, the reason given was, "In the big smelly farmers association, we don't wipe our arses".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Their grievances are genuine.

Unlike overpaid, underworked leeches who call themselves teachers.

Teacher here. No grievances at all. Not a single one. Happy out here halfway through a three month holiday. Hey, I didn’t make the rules. I just benefit from them. ;)

I presume you pay taxes? Nice one. You’re funding my holiday. And my awesome pension! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm 45 and I predict that if I live to full life expectancy that in my lifetime I will see significant corporate involvement in Irish farming, land ownership, management - the lot. Coca Cola are already sniffing around Munster dairy as part of their diversification strategy.
    I also predict corporate investment in tech on farmland that will making present day farming look like the middle ages. The human element will be pushed out essentially.

If the factories/processors of today represent an unhealthy concentrated bottleneck in the Irish food industry, wait until you see what happens with big corporations control EVERYTHING from field to shelf. Now you already had disastrous collective farms under communism, but if the profit motive is added it will get mean. Consumer will lose big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I wrote a little poem this morning for the craic, feel free to expand or amend:

The townies gathered for an afternoon chat,
    Avocado cappuccinos all round, the chatter began,
    "Farmers owning land, we'll have none of that"
    Time for action, every townie woman, child and man

So out of town they strode,
    The nearest farmer beware,
    An army of angry chinos, scarfs and manbags marched the road,
    They want to be heard, because "life is not fair"

They gathered at his gate to roar and shout,
    Unfazed the farmer filled his tank full of slurry,
    Backed it up to the gate and opened the spout,
    Which moved the townies on in a hurry

Robert Frost quality that :-)

I wrote a little poem this morning...

Are you the farmer?

WIb.jpg

topper75 wrote: »
    Are you the farmer?

WIb.jpg

Haha yes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wrote a little poem this morning for the craic...

Oh for fuck sake - we'll have to offset that with a shot of Paddy Kavanagh:

They laughed at one I loved —
    The triangular hill that hung
    Under the Big Forth. They said
    That I was bounded by the whitethorn hedges
    Of the little farm and did not know the world.
    But I knew that love’s doorway to life
    Is the same doorway everywhere.

Ashamed of what I loved
    I flung her from me and called her a ditch
    Although she was smiling at me with violets.

But now I am back in her briary arms
    The dew of an Indian Summer morning lies
    On bleached potato-stalks—
    What age am I?

I do not know what age I am,
    I am no mortal age;
    I know nothing of women,
    Nothing of cities,
    I cannot die
    Unless I walk outside these whitethorn hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

I'm 45 and I predict that if I live to full life expectancy that in my lifetime I will see significant corporate involvement in Irish farming, land ownership, management - the lot. Coca Cola are already sniffing around Munster dairy as part of their diversification strategy.
    I also predict corporate investment in tech on farmland that will making present day farming look like the middle ages. The human element will be pushed out essentially.

If the factories/processors of today represent an unhealthy concentrated bottleneck in the Irish food industry, wait until you see what happens with big corporations control EVERYTHING from field to shelf. Now you already had disastrous collective farms under communism, but if the profit motive is added it will get mean. Consumer will lose big time.

Yep! The only way farming will survive in 20-30 years is if the country moves towards mega farms owned by businesses with huge feedlots and dairy parlours that could handle 1000+ cattle. On the bright side it would mean a liveable income with holidays and workers rights but it would also mean the death of the family owned farm in Ireland.

Example - When Jim passes on with no children to take over the farm gets divided. All the children live away and have good jobs so the land is rented to a neighbouring farm. Say then that farmer passes away so his farm gets split until there's nobody to take over. Thousands of acres of farmland unused. The only solution is for a mega farm to move in and take over all of it.

Its a depressing thought but a reality unfortunately.

Oh for fuck sake - we'll have to offset that with a shot of Paddy Kavanagh:

They laughed at one I loved —
    The triangular hill that hung
    Under the Big Forth. They said
    That I was bounded by the whitethorn hedges
    Of the little farm and did not know the world.
    But I knew that love’s doorway to life
    Is the same doorway everywhere.

Ashamed of what I loved
    I flung her from me and called her a ditch
    Although she was smiling at me with violets.

But now I am back in her briary arms
    The dew of an Indian Summer morning lies
    On bleached potato-stalks—
    What age am I?

I do not know what age I am,
    I am no mortal age;
    I know nothing of women,
    Nothing of cities,
    I cannot die
    Unless I walk outside these whitethorn hedges.

Haha Paddy who? If he tries real hard he might be as good as me some day

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Yep! The only way farming will survive in 20-30 years is if the country moves towards mega farms owned by businesses with huge feedlots and dairy parlours that could handle 1000+ cattle. On the bright side it would mean a liveable income with holidays and workers rights but it would also mean the death of the family owned farm in Ireland.

Example - When Jim passes on with no children to take over the farm gets divided. All the children live away and have good jobs so the land is rented to a neighbouring farm. Say then that farmer passes away so his farm gets split until there's nobody to take over. Thousands of acres of farmland unused. The only solution is for a mega farm to move in and take over all of it.

Its a depressing thought but a reality unfortunately.

Farms have been around forever and now we're 20-30 years away from this happening? Why hasn't this already happened?

Farms have been around forever and now we're 20-30 years away from this happening? Why hasn't this already happened?

A whole range of things today vary from 'already'. E.g.:

Because farm incomes are no match for most industrial jobs, where you clock out in the evening.
    Because commodity markets are globalised and Ireland is small.
    Because all other industries have seen much concentration over the last century, including primary sector ones such as forestry and mining.
    Because Ireland is chiefly a services economy and the democratic will to focus on supporting an individual small farmer is not what it was.
    Because farming is no longer labour intensive and based on a considerably large and difficult to admin workforce.
    Because financiers will see corps as a more diversified entity and therefore lower risk. Turnips rotten? Paddy 50 acres goes down. Corp still has maize, cocoa, dairy - whatever. This last point will be the big driver.

I'm sure there are other factors too not occurring to me in this instant. The changes I am predicting (consolidation and corporatisation) will play out over decades and won't be apparent overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A whole range of things today vary from 'already'. E.g.:

Because farm incomes are no match for most industrial jobs, where you clock out in the evening.
    Because commodity markets are globalised and Ireland is small.
    Because all other industries have seen much concentration over the last century, including primary sector ones such as forestry and mining.
    Because Ireland is chiefly a services economy and the democratic will to focus on supporting an individual small farmer is not what it was.
    Because farming is no longer labour intensive and based on a considerably large and difficult to admin workforce.

I'm sure there are other factors too not occurring to me in this instant. The changes I am predicting (consolidation and corporatisation) will play out over decades and won't be apparent overnight.

Yep. In fact, there's been corporate involvement in big farms here for quite some time, and it has to increase.

Advertisement