Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairdressers not great at listening

• 26-10-2015 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Am I the only one who finds this an issue? Ask them for a small trim and they get out the no. 1 razor. Or they try some hip teen ****e hair cut that makes you look like a complete tool. Any time I go to the hairdressers Dublin in particular I feel like they should pierce my ear and put a diamond earring in to finish the look they gave me that I didn't ask for.

Might just go bald.

And ****ing barbers tend to just stick to a style for the week and give anyone who walks in that haircut. Nightmare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Teach yourself to cut your own hair and problem solved. You can shape it to your own liking happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah, mate. Been on your holidays yet?

They're daydreaming about buying that Rav4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

MadsL wrote: »
    Yeah, mate. Been on your holidays yet?

Can't afford to go on holiday :(

Teach yourself to cut Grow your own hair and problem solved.

Haven't had a hair cut in four years. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Haven't cut mine in ten years.

Don't go to hairdressers. Nobody ever comes out happy.

MadsL wrote: »
    Haven't had a hair cut in four years. ;)

I've not been to one in at least 6 months. But it's getting a little irate having hair in my face. I look like a cnut.

A bit of a hippy myself, I only barely remember what a scissors is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I get exactly what I ask for. Then again, I have connections to some lovely hairdressers.;)

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I've not been to one in at least 6 months. But it's getting a little irate having hair in my face. I look like a cnut.

Just shave it all off, I done that once and I had long hair, but was constantly told that I looked like tweety pie from the cartoon so I desperately had to grow it again. Be careful what you wish for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Haven't gone to a hairdresser in 15 years. The wife cuts it.

mad muffin wrote: »

Mine is too afraid she'll do it wrong. I mean she has real ears to listen to what I want so it's not like she can. I wonder if hairdressers just have awful hearing with all the **** they listen to from aul ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

3 on the sides, 4 on top. In and out in 10 minutes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Do men go to hairdressers?

I see. so after so long of your wife cutting it it would seem you like the style . But how would you feel now to go to the hair-dressers and have it cut by them ? would it be up to par do you think compared to your wife's haircut job ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hair, la de dah!

Baldness doesn't run in the family or generations before that so I will never go bald... But, The problem I have is that it's all gone grey so ye can never win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

This might sounds sexist. But IMO the only person who can cuts male hair is a barber doing it on a daily basis. My friends get his hair by a top female hairdresser. But she cant cut his hair for ****. There is no fade into the cut and it looks off.

There is a reason why male barbers are doing so well. Men have finally realise the best people to cut their hair isnt a hairdresser but a Barbers. You never a man with an excellent cut who got it done in a hairdressers.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    This might sounds sexist. But IMO the only person who can cuts male hair is a barber doing it on a daily basis. My friends get his hair by a top female hairdresser. But she cant cut his hair for ****. There is no fade into the cut and it looks off.

There is a reason why male barbers are doing so well. Men have finally realise the best people to cut their hair isnt a hairdresser but a Barbers. You never a man with an excellent cut who got it done in a hairdressers.

It is sexist. Plenty of women who only cut men's hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Mine is too afraid she'll do it wrong. I mean she has real ears to listen to what I want so it's not like she can. I wonder if hairdressers just have awful hearing with all the **** they listen to from aul ones.

Maybe you've a weird shaped head?

I do know hairdressers who complain on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My husband has'nt been to the barber in years, i do it, takes about 10 mins

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

newacc2015 wrote: »

Loads of hairdressers are also barbers.

Anyway, the reason men end up with haircuts different to what they want is because they are too afraid to articulate what they actually want in case someone might think they care or something.

"Ah sure a bit off the sides and just tidy it up on top" and they are confused as to why it doesn't look exactly like they imagined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yeah OP, happens to me. When my hair grew quite long one time, I went to the barber and just wanted a trim to sort of make it more neat and tiny, and the guy ended up cutting it too short for my liking. It wasn't what I wanted, but the job had already been done. Funny thing is, I still go to the same barber every couple of months. It's ok now though because I ended up shaving it eventually, so he can perform the most basic task. But I wouldn't trust him to cut it to a particular style.

I know another person who had a problem, where a barber from the same place, completely botched his haircut and had to shave it. Needless to say my friend wasn't too happy about it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yeah OP, happens to me. When my hair grew quite long one time, I went to the barber and just wanted a trim to sort of make it more neat and tiny, and the guy ended up cutting it too short for my liking. It wasn't what I wanted, but the job had already been done. Funny thing is, I still go to the same barber every couple of months. It's ok now though because I ended up shaving it eventually, so he can perform the most basic task. But I wouldn't trust him to cut it to a particular style.

I know another person who had a problem, where a barber from the same place, completely botched his haircut and had to shave it. Needless to say my friend wasn't too happy about it.

But you realise that "just a trim to tidy it up" is really vague, right?

It's like going into McDonalds and asking for meat in a bap, and then moaning because they gave you a McChicken Sandwich when what you wanted was a Big Mac.

I see. so after so long of your wife cutting it it would seem you like the style . But how would you feel now to go to the hair-dressers and have it cut by them ? would it be up to par do you think compared to your wife's haircut job ?.

Yeah, my wife does a great job. Everyone complements me on it. I would never go back. My wife does a much better job than any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It depends on the shape of a persons head. Let us evaluate the egg-shaped head for hair cutting shall we...

We will evaluate the cone-head hair-cut later, and then onto triangular shaped heads.

It depends on the shape of a persons head. Let us evaluate the egg-shaped head for hair cutting shall we...

We will evaluate the cone-head hair-cut later, and then onto triangular shaped heads.

What about the pin head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I just say i want it short ,but not too short .
    Short all round ,
    Thats it. i never had a bad haircut.

• Advertisement

What about the pin head?

I never heard of a pin-head all the same. Must be a new head shape that entered itself into the chain of different shaped heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I got the wife to cut mine once. Met the brother that evening and asked him what he thought of it ........he said, "it'll be nice when it's finished!" :)

biko wrote: »

I always knew Sarah Jessica Parker was a man. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

You're most likely a ride of a man and she only does that so she can give you a haircut that'll keep other women away from ya.

May not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

I went to the barbers the other day. He asked me how I would like my hair cut and I replied, "In complete silence!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I went into a butcher's shop the other day and asked him if he had a sheeps head and he said, "no, it's just the way the wife cuts me hair"

(you're not in the meat trade by any chance?) :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I pay a fiver for my haircut, so I don't expect some magnificent perm. Number 2 all over, bobs your uncle.

I pay a fiver for my haircut, so I don't expect some magnificent perm. Number 2 all over, bobs your uncle.

Bob isn't my uncle. What are you saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I shave and cut my hair generally 4 times a year. I get buzzed as much as is tolerated by the OH (I'd have a 2 blade left to my own devices). 3 months of the year I look like a teenager, 6 I look scruffy and the last 3 I enter full blown homeless mode.
    My hairdresser doesn't speak much English so I just point to the shearers. System works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

awec wrote: »
    But you realise that "just a trim to tidy it up" is really vague, right?

It's like going into McDonalds and asking for meat in a bap, and then moaning because they gave you a McChicken Sandwich when what you wanted was a Big Mac.
    This.

If you can't articulate what it is you want your barber to do for you then bring a picture of the style you want. If at that point the barber ****s it up you've got a crappy barber. If all you ask for is "a small trim" then you'll never get a consistent haircut.

Like any other trade there are terms words and concepts that apply to barbering. If you use them your barber will know precisely what you want and won't have to read your mind. Talking to your barber about your haircut will teach you what you want and don't want. He just might appreciate the chance to show off his trade rather that chat about your recent holiday.

If and when you do find the barber that gives you the haircut you like then stick with him/her. At that point you can go in and ask for the usual and he'll know what you mean...and then you can talk about your recent holiday.

Here's a link to a magazine piece explaining some of the barbering terms. It's not comprehensive but it'll get you started.
    http://www.ties.com/blog/hair-terminology-tell-barber-exactly-want

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I just run an electric razor over the head once a month and avoid this problem altogether. But then I'm handsome enough to pull it off. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement