Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT contracting and tax advice

Options
  • 30-05-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I’m starting contracting soon as an IT resource. Not amazing money like some I have heard about but it’s all I can get and I’m happy.

I need to get an accountant or contractor company to assist with everything. That I know.

In the meantime, I have some general questions I hope someone who fully knows how it works can help.

1. If my company calendar year is July to June. Do I need to have the company accounts empty by June to avoid paying tax on anything in the account?
    2. Do I need to pay myself as much as possible and keep as little as possible in the company account.
    3. What tax is payable on moneys left in the business account at the end of June?
    4. Once moneys are left in the account at the end of June and untouched, can they just be transferred into the next year to pay my salary in year two.
    5. Can I leave as much as I want in the business account year after year.

In general, I’d like to keep the business account healthy with as much as I can, then when the rainy day comes, keep paying myself from the business account.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

its all here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/corporation-tax-for-companies/corporation-tax/close-companies.aspx and the underlying pdfs
    Are you working from home or commuting to the same location

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Prussell2

Many thanks Calahonda52.

Wow those tax documents are a minefield. Hard to know where to begin. My head is heavy.

I think I will need to sit down with an accountant.

Prussell2 wrote: »
    Many thanks Calahonda52.

Wow those tax documents are a minefield. Hard to know where to begin. My head is heavy.

I think I will need to sit down with an accountant.

I use an accountancy firm. They handle all the tax for me.

All i do is get my timesheet approved and they do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Use an umbrella company, they charge so much a month and look after everything so you are pretty much an employee..
    https://www.iconaccounting.ie/

I’m hoping to go down the road of my own company and not an umbrella.

I’m told everyone else I’ll be working with is exactly the same.

I do appreciate the advice though

• Advertisement

I’m hoping to go down the road of my own company and not an umbrella.

I’m told everyone else I’ll be working with is exactly the same.

I do appreciate the advice though

Why your own company?

Why your own company?

I’m hoping to do something a little different in the long run so set it up now and no excuses then.

I’m hoping to do something a little different in the long run so set it up now and no excuses then.

You can do that, you'll just have slightly more initial costs. Id still recommend using an accountants. I use Fenero.

Use an umbrella company, they charge so much a month and look after everything so you are pretty much an employee..
    https://www.iconaccounting.ie/

OP
    whats the answer to this
    Are you working from home or commuting to the same location.

re
    so you are pretty much an employee

pretty much does not do it

OP
    whats the answer to this
    Are you working from home or commuting to the same location.

re
    so you are pretty much an employee

pretty much does not do it

I will be working in an office 3 days a week and home 2 days. May have to travel from time to time abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I will be working in an office 3 days a week and home 2 days. May have to travel from time to time abroad.

In the office of the company you are contracting to?

Will they supply you with stuff like a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Any of the posts I've seen about IT contractors in the main seem to indicate they are employees not self employed.

Stheno wrote: »
    In the office of the company you are contracting to?

Will they supply you with stuff like a laptop?

The company supply me with anything I need to do my job, including hardware, pay for occasion long distance travel.

I obviously will need to get to work myself, etc.

My main question I really want an answer to is as follows:
    If my calendar year is July-June. I invoice and bring in for example and I’m round to the nearest 100k!!!! So I invoice for 100k plus vat. I pay myself a salary for the 12 months, vat and All employee taxes are removed, I have 10k left in the account on 30june. Is that 10k taxable as corp tax or can I leave it there and carry it forward to the next year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The company supply me with anything I need to do my job, including hardware, pay for occasion long distance travel.

If my calendar year is July-June. I invoice and bring in for example and I’m round to the nearest 100k!!!! So I invoice for 100k plus vat. I pay myself a salary for the 12 months, vat and All employee taxes are removed, I have 10k left in the account on 30june. Is that 10k taxable as corp tax or can I leave it there and carry it forward to the next year.

Ask an accountant as you've been advised?

Technically if the Revenue audit you, youd be classed as an employee for tax purposes and be in a bit of bother with under payments as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Stheno wrote: »
    Ask an accountant as you've been advised?

Technically if the Revenue audit you, youd be classed as an employee for tax purposes and be in a bit of bother with under payments as a result

The OP is talking about trading through a Ltd company, and they certainly are an employee alright, of their own company and drawing a taxed salary, so I’m not sure where you’re seeing the issue?

The company paying for the OP’s services, has a contract with the OP’s company, not with the OP. Revenue have not and do not attempt to look through such arrangements. It’s different in the UK where they have IR35 legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

I can recommend Fenero, they make it VERY easy
    https://www.fenero.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I use ContractingPlus. They offer a similar service and look after invoices, tax returns etc. Uploading timesheets & expenses is very easy using their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I use ContractingPlus. They offer a similar service and look after invoices, tax returns etc. Uploading timesheets & expenses is very easy using their app.

What sort of expenses are the norm these days?

The OP is talking about trading through a Ltd company, and they certainly are an employee alright, of their own company and drawing a taxed salary, so I’m not sure where you’re seeing the issue?

Thats exactly what I do and Fenero take care of all the tax stuff with the exception of my end of year tax return, which is a form I fill out.

He needs to go and talk to one of these such companies but i think he's way over thinking things.

Edit: Fenero even remind me when to do it and provide me with the link to the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You said you are starting contracting but its not amazing money, in that sense do not set up your own company - use an umbrella service for a few months and feel it out. Initial setup costs can be high and the benefits of your own company vs umbrella are negligible if youre on a low rate and are unsure on security, contract lengths etc.
    Afaik any money left in the company at the end of the tax year is subject to corporation tax (12.5%), hence i max out my pension/pay myself as much as possible each year, and leave as little as possible in the business acc. Some ppl do it then other way, its a personal thing.
    Look at any of the options listed already and contact them for more correct financial advice - i would not recommend diving straight into a ltd company immediately.

(Full disclosure : contracting 7yrs - 2 as umbrella employee, 2 as umbrella director, 3 with ltd co)

• Advertisement

yes, and if you leave it in the company for 18 months you pay another skelp of tax. the detail ins in the pdfs in the first link I sent you
    http://www.taxfind.ie/binaryDocument//pdfs/http___www_revenue_ie_en_about_foi_s16_income_tax_capital_gains_tax_corporation_tax_part_13_13_02_05_pdf.pdf

the other concern I have is that you might start charging mileage to/from the office as you are not an employee of the office.

In passing I disagree with the notion that the Ltd is expensive to set up etc.
    I see these umbrella companies as leeches sucking the rewards of the sweet of your brow, same as outfits like CPL and agency workers, again naked exploitation of the labouring man, or similar.

Whats the take, 15% of gross?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

yes, and if you leave it in the company for 18 months you pay another skelp of tax. the detail ins in the pdfs in the first link I sent you
    http://www.taxfind.ie/binaryDocument//pdfs/http___www_revenue_ie_en_about_foi_s16_income_tax_capital_gains_tax_corporation_tax_part_13_13_02_05_pdf.pdf

the other concern I have is that you might start charging mileage to/from the office as you are not an employee of the office.

In passing I disagree with the notion that the Ltd is expensive to set up etc.
    I see these umbrella companies as leeches sucking the rewards of the sweet of your brow, same as outfits like CPL and agency workers, again naked exploitation of the labouring man, or similar.

Whats the take, 15% of gross?

That’s two different markets; Fenero, ContractingPlus etc each charge fixed fees which will range from €150-250 per month depending on whether umbrella or own ltd company including invoicing, payroll, VAT returns, financial Statements, CRO returns and personal income tax. It’s an effective outsourcing arrangement and need not be excessively costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

Set yourself up with a company like icon accounting. I no longer contract but when I did, icon had me setup as a director, which meant I could expense any items that I could deem necessary for my role, mobile phones, bills, internet if working from home etc. you can even expense the fee that the firm charge. It’s very straight forward to setup and requires very little of your time month on month, just submit timesheets and expense receipts and you’re good to go

icanmunch wrote: »
    Set yourself up with a company like icon accounting. I no longer contract but when I did, icon had me setup as a director, which meant I could expense any items that I could deem necessary for my role, mobile phones, bills, internet if working from home etc. you can even expense the fee that the firm charge. It’s very straight forward to setup and requires very little of your time month on month, just submit timesheets and expense receipts and you’re good to go

Lets explode this expensing bs
    Yes you can expense, but at 12.5% tax its hardly a must have, when looked at in terms of the onerous requirements of being a director of a close company.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

It generally makes no sense leaving any money in the company. You will need to pay corporation tax of 12.5% plus the professional surcharge of 20% and even then if you take the money out as wages the next year pay normal paye on top of that. The most tax efficient way is to lump it into a pension.

Lets explode this expensing bs
    Yes you can expense, but at 12.5% tax its hardly a must have, when looked at in terms of the onerous requirements of being a director of a close company.

I think the point would be that you would usually settle the mobile phone and internet bills out of your post tax PAYE income whereas this way you would pay from gross receiptsof the company and seert that there's no BIK as any personal use is merely incidental. it's not an approach which I take . but it is common for contractors.

Funny thing sos that 20-30 years ago there was a standard BUIK charge on an employer provided mobile phone but it is all gone by the wayside provided the phone is provided primarily for use in the employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

Marcusm wrote: »
    That’s two different markets; Fenero, ContractingPlus etc each charge fixed fees which will range from €150-250 per month depending on whether umbrella or own ltd company including invoicing, payroll, VAT returns, financial Statements, CRO returns and personal income tax. It’s an effective outsourcing arrangement and need not be excessively costly.

For that level of work, its over charging

J.Ryan wrote: »
    For that level of work, its over charging

My sentiment entirely as expressed earlier in this
    thread

My sentiment entirely as expressed earlier in this
    thread

Actually, what you suggested earlier was that they took 15% of the gross. The actual monthly charges are a small fraction of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Hi, sorry if I'm slightly hijacking this thread. I'm about to start IT contracting and have been put in touch with two firms.

Both are offering me a solution where I'd be an employee of an umbrella company but one is offering an option where I'd be the director of a child company under the umbrella company.

This is giving me a little more take home pay but the other firm is basically saying it's a little dodgy and revenue are clamping down on this sort of thing.

Has anyone ever heard of this "sub-director" solution? Is it above board?

Advertisement