Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I like strategy games and I see no reason to give them up simply to cater to someone else's ideal.

I'll argue that there's more depth in a lot of strategy games than you'll find in many other hobbies. People don't criticise chess, but stick it on a computer and some people will get uppity about it being a dirty 'Vidya Game'. Computer-based strategy games can be a lot more complex under the hood than anything you can reasonably play on a board because you don't need to be manually running the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I remember playing Metal gear Solid on the PS1 it was an amazing game, really broke the mould; but since the 32bit era there been nothing as revolutionary except slightly better graphics with every iteration.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Loved playing as a child/teen but just out grown it. Still play it the odd time mostly Fifa and Rugby games

More of a Football Manager on my laptop type of guy, now that's an addictive bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Amstrad 6128+

Games peaked on that bad boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I play a lot of games, though as I've gotten older (I'm in my 30's) I'm less interested in single-player games and more into competitive team-games online. I think mostly because you're playing with and talking with other people, there's a social aspect to it.

I mostly play Overwatch and Apex, team-based games, for that reason. Still play the odd "open world" sort of single player game like Fallout or Outer Worlds, I always think it's amazing to explore these tiny virtual societies. I remember when I first got Fallout 4 I spent about 10 hours roaming around, exploring and talking to random people before even starting the first quest.

I hardly ever watch TV or movies though. Often once a week I'll binge on TV but the other six days I'll usually be playing games in my free time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

KungPao wrote: »
    Amstrad 6128+

Games peaked on that bad boy.

did you have the green screen or the fancy colour version?

I had a mate who got one for his birthday, I had to make do with a rubber key spectrum 48k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Lads if you have nothing to contribute to the OP just don't post. Leave the jabs at the op please.

:confused:
    this person is a serial thread starter.
    He starts a thread, and then goes off to start another , without contributing anything to the threads he starts .

That is why a LOT of posters are fed up of his usual antics.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

If you have an issue with a poster - report it.

If you dont want to contribute to the OP, no matter by whom or why it was made, just dont. Coming in and taking shots or dragging things to talk about the poster and not the post isnt helpful.

As with most occurances, mod instructions arent up for debate on thread. If you have any further issues im happy to discuss via PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I find them boring. But maybe if they taught you things like a language ..or maths or something.

I used to like online word games that is like video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

greenspurs wrote: »
    That is why a LOT of posters are fed up of his usual antics.

And yet the, very same, posters continually “bump” these threads.

If you’ve no interest in the “subject” just don’t post in the thread, let those who do give their opinion on the topic or just let the thread fade into the background.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Mod

Emmet don't post in this thread again.

Everyone get back on topic. Thanks.

The question the OP asks is vague. It is like saying "what do you think of sport?" Do you mean MMA or do you mean Lawn Bowling? My answer would be massively different for both. They have little in common except for breathing.

I rarely play computer games - but I do tend to gravitate towards ones I can totally immerse myself in when I do. With story and characters and good voice actors. Bioware and CD Project kind of things.

I'd probably play only one - maybe two - games a year but I'd generally "Binge" them and do 40 hours in a week and then not play another game for many months.

Something tells me when Cyberpunk comes out - I will disappear into a room and not come out until it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I just don’t think grown men playing computer games for 30 hours a week is a sensible or wise use of their time. It’s symptomatic of a deeper issue.

Compared to spending 30 hours a week watching tv? Or the same time in the pub shouting at millionaires through a box? What about people who read for 30 hours a week? Or do gardening? Or basically any activity/hobby?

You need to get with the times. Gaming is "mainstream" because the people who started playing games in the 80's are now in their 30's/40's. The average age of a gamer is now 35. Only 29% of gamers are under 18.

Gaming is my main hobby. I spend at least 30 hours a week gaming. If I don't, I spend the time watching anime/Netflix. I'm not putting anyone out, and I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything else. Obviously I have deeper issues... :rolleyes:

Gaming has evolved from moving a sprite left/right and shooting pixels at things. Games can be extremely immersive now. You can experience things you might never otherwise. The recent Assassins Creed Odyssey has a discovery mode, bringing you around ancient Greece and Sparta, showing you the art of the time and explains the origin of actual art, methods used, etc. Then you have VR gaming, which is no longer a gimmick and truly immersive. Just google it and see people falling over. I personally can't play horror games in VR, too realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I play. I tried the whole online battlefield/call of duty/fortnite thing recently and I found It way too stressful. I play videogames mostly to relax so I play Hitman, gta, Crash team Racing with my girlfriend. I recently bought Red Dead Redemption 2, I love it. It's a great way to escape from this world when i want to chill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

song of the decade, for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6wxDqdOV0

I'm a strategy nut.

Paradox Games. Hearts of Iron 1-3 are utterly fantastic. Logistics, tactics and strategy. Incredibly epic scope and in depth history. Especially with the mods available for 3 & 4. Crusader Kings 2 is great fun, especially when stoned. I'm also quite hooked on the newer Imperator Rome.

TW series. I love them all until Britannia, although Rome 2 was iffy for a long while. Warhammer 2 remains one of my favorites along with Medieval 2 (with mods).

I also run a variety of games from Indie companies. Great strategic depth.

Mostly the problem is balancing time, since most strategy games require serious amounts of time to complete a campaign. Still, I'm not into watching TV, and movies have turned awfully stupid over the last decade. Luckily enough my GF is also into the strategy games which helps, although she's still struggling to adapt to the more technical titles.

I also play competitively in China, and Korea for a few strategy titles. Turn based, not RTS. I've done pretty well overall, although I'm not near the top. I've little interest investing the time needed to develop that much. Still, I have made some cash from winning lesser tournaments. :D

In terms of game quality, games companies have been sliding downhill for the last decade or so. Too interested in money and short term gains. Bad releases with a year of updates/patches before it's even remotely finished. It's the reason I'll never buy another Civilisation game again. Tired of being screwed by them, especially now with the focus on expansions, which are often released before the core game is fully patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Y'know it blows my mind that there is still this odd stigma around games even in 2020.

Loads of cranky auld lads on here (and others pretending to be so) ****ting on games and people who play them like they are all sad losers or something. :rolleyes:

It's literally just another form of entertainment. Like watching football, or reading or going to the theater or the cinema. Nothing more and nothing less.

I can't tell you how many times I have been on dating site where there where any amount of good looking women who were clearly big into gaming; I could spoof a bit, but I am, at best, an extremely casual gamer so I'd be fooling no one.

So how do you said lads explain those ladies away then?

And yeah, like basically every other entertainment outlet you get some people who can't detach from it much like gambling or going to the pub getting locked most nights - that is something not solely the domain of gamers or gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't tell you how many times I have been on dating site where there where any amount of good looking women who were clearly big into gaming;

Eh, what sites would this be? I've yet to see a profile even mention gaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I’ve a young fella who plays far too many computer games. To the detriment of his academic and sporting pursuits. Roaring into a headset pretending to be a soldier.

I’m hoping he grows out of it, as I don’t want him to turn into one of those manchilds who is in his 30’s and lives to play computer games.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bd4356533fb2776def189002be4f64d2a4fec7d10&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I was never someone into computer games as a teenager, as I focused more on my hurling and athletics endeavours. This didn't change when I went to university.

My brother bought me a copy of Civilisation 6 for Christmas a number of years back. I later found out he had swapped the code for downloading it with another title, and gifted the code to me. That's for another discussion though.

I play Civ 6 on my Microsoft Surface Book for around 3 hours a week. Usually on a Sunday evening. It's a great computer game, and I sometimes have to wrestle myself away from playing one more round of the board. It's very strategic, and I enjoy the balance of industry and diplomacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm not a gamer, and it doesn't appeal to me at all, but I don't see why so many are negative about it and throw out the "overweight neckbeard" trope.

My own hobbies and interests are fairly mundane, but I enjoy them. It'd be a dull life if we didn't have things we enjoy and could get lost in, especially now.

Eh, what sites would this be? I've yet to see a profile even mention gaming!

POF, not so much Tinder as POF is more detailed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

POF, not so much Tinder as POF is more detailed.

Not in my experience.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Not in my experience.

Fair enough but I can only speak for myself, there were plenty into gaming it seems when I was last on it.

Isn't there some kind of filter where your interests are curated to match with others? the site is crap at the best of times but sometimes that feature works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm a strategy nut.

Paradox Games. Hearts of Iron 1-3 are utterly fantastic. Logistics, tactics and strategy. Incredibly epic scope and in depth history. Especially with the mods available for 3 & 4. Crusader Kings 2 is great fun, especially when stoned. I'm also quite hooked on the newer Imperator Rome.

TW series. I love them all until Britannia, although Rome 2 was iffy for a long while. Warhammer 2 remains one of my favorites along with Medieval 2 (with mods).

I also run a variety of games from Indie companies. Great strategic depth.

Mostly the problem is balancing time, since most strategy games require serious amounts of time to complete a campaign. Still, I'm not into watching TV, and movies have turned awfully stupid over the last decade. Luckily enough my GF is also into the strategy games which helps, although she's still struggling to adapt to the more technical titles.

I also play competitively in China, and Korea for a few strategy titles. Turn based, not RTS. I've done pretty well overall, although I'm not near the top. I've little interest investing the time needed to develop that much. Still, I have made some cash from winning lesser tournaments. :D

In terms of game quality, games companies have been sliding downhill for the last decade or so. Too interested in money and short term gains. Bad releases with a year of updates/patches before it's even remotely finished. It's the reason I'll never buy another Civilisation game again. Tired of being screwed by them, especially now with the focus on expansions, which are often released before the core game is fully patched.

I'm another Paradox nut. Recent conversion.

Just had my HoI4 save ruined due to an update so that's nice. The older games look less user friendly so I'll probably never get to play them.

I do love Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II though. HoI4 is fun in smallish doses but it means I have to learn the sodding thing again. I bought Imperator but have never actually played it.

Warhammer 2 is fantastic but I'm waiting until a few bugs get patched in the most recent DLC.

I don't think I'll play anything aside from strategy games more than one day a month or so as the same shooters, platformers and so on are just too expensive and derivative.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Stellaris is an excellent RTS buy as well

Baggly wrote: »
    Stellaris is an excellent RTS buy as well

Have it. Never touched it once but got all the DLC. The amount of time you can spend on one of these games is absurd but at least you do get good value for money.

I don't play as much as I used to play. It's a good bit of escapism for an hour or two a week when I can get the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Like any hobby you get back what you put in to it, there is an entire culture behind video games and a rich history, if you are not into it then you are not into it, same as people who do not like sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Have been pushing through my own back catalogue slowly. Currently playing AC: Origins and have God of War in reserve but I'm gonna put them on the long finger (again) for The Last of Us 2. Loved the first one and completed it maybe 3/4 times

Advertisement