Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Been doing some thinking

• 21-10-2010 6:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

This was the most appropriate place I could think of for this :o

How likely is it that there are more experiences that we can not see/feel as in if we were blind we would not know things had a image, same as if we had no smell we would never know smells existed etc

I know its unlikely we can ever know the answer due to not having such features, if any are out there that is but it has me facinated :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

its even more Complicated that You thought :)

Even if we are both exposed the Same Stimulus we could both have wildly different experiences of it, take for example

Cabbage, the Smell taste and Texture Disgust me.

OK Thats not a greatexample but ya get me right.

We cold both be experiencing the same Extra Sensory Whatever, but we could both have very diffenret results
    However there are people out there who absolutley love the stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I'm a savage for Bacon and Cabbage ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭looksee

rex-x wrote: »
    This was the most appropriate place I could think of for this :o

How likely is it that there are more experiences that we can not see/feel as in if we were blind we would not know things had a image, same as if we had no smell we would never know smells existed etc

I know its unlikely we can ever know the answer due to not having such features, if any are out there that is but it has me facinated :D

Well there are other colours that we cannot see due to the limitations of our eyes, and sounds we cannot hear because they are outside the range of our hearing. There does seem to be some evidence that there are some skills that only a few people have - like water divining - it may be some sort of a spoof, but most of the doubt is because most of us cannot do it. Also the people who say they can taste colours. Is that individual senses getting mixed somehow, or is it something else that most of us have not developed.

Yeah, Water Divination is an interesting one, My Da can do it every time, tis a handy little trick if yer a plumber, he can find the pipes under the concrete in yer floor, gets it right every time, he can trace out the bends and joins, everything.

I can sorta do it meself, but Da always said that my 'lack of Faith' was what held me back,that said another one of me brothers tried and tried but could never get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There was a very good Horizon documentary about this kind of thing the other night
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vhw1d

It explored the idea of sensed blending and overriding each other, including a cool example where the presented said "Ba" repeatedly but if you were shown him mouthing the word "Fa" you heard the sound "Fa", however if you closed you eyes or looked away from the screen you heard "Ba" again, this works whether you know about it or not.

Colour influencing flavour was another good one.

There was also a guy that was blind from a very young age that could move about and cycle using echo location based on clicking noises made with his tongue.

The main point seems to be that the brain as a whole is the sense organ with plasticity of function allowing a variety of inputs to be synthesized into a perception in a given situation. The "lack of faith" could possibly be rephrased as not trusting what your brain is telling you because of preconceptions as to the nature of your senses.

• Advertisement

Was wonderin about this over the weekend

Is there any way to 'SEE' the fields genereated by all the electronic devices and Wireless Networks in an average Home/office??

Advertisement