Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log House for Granny flat

Options
  • 21-03-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

My sis is looking at the idea of a granny flat to the side of her house for my mother as she is now getting on.

The planning laws down where she lives are very strict and she has already been knocked back 3 times for an extension to her house, so she thought about the idea of getting one of these log homes/garden rooms for her so she could have a bit of independence and hopefully she could put one up without having to go thro PP.

What size is she allowable to erect without PP and any suggestions for a supplier?

Is something like this suitable for permanent living?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If somebody is going to live in a building, it needs planning permission.

We don't advise on any methods for getting around the planning laws here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why has she been refused permission for an extension??

If there is enough need, a granny flat extension should be permissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wasn't aware before I posted that any structure that is to be lived in, even if it is below the allowable area for PP, had to have PP

She was knocked back, mainly because they said the extension was not in keeping with the original house. She was hoping to extend more than just a granny flat

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For exemption, one of the conditions is that it not lived in, if it is an external structure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Arn't you allowed to convert or extend upto 40 sqM without planning? I would have thought that you could design a studio flat under 40 sqM that would be perfectably livable for one person.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I wasn't aware before I posted that any structure that is to be lived in, even if it is below the allowable area for PP, had to have PP
    Your post said you were looking at a log cabin. This would be separate from the dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Do-more wrote: »
    Arn't you allowed to convert or extend upto 40 sqM without planning?
    Only if its an extension of the dwelling house and that is subject to certain conditions. The OP indicated "one of these log homes/garden rooms "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Arn't you allowed to convert or extend upto 40 sqM without planning? I would have thought that you could design a studio flat under 40 sqM that would be perfectably livable for one person.

she could do that but she was hoping that if she was going to go to the trouble to extend her house she would be putting on more than 40sq m. To include extra living space for her family and a granny flat. Seeing as her plans have been rejected, the external log cabin was considered to be an option, but only if she didn't have to apply for planning

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This also might be a no go, 40 sqm is too small for stand alone.
    Unless there was acces to the main house for washing, kitchen etc

Advertisement