Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cylinder size

Options
  • 17-03-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Right guys quick question. Just speaking to the plumber and he is installing a 300 litre cyclinder. I mentioned the 500 litre but he said it was overkill. Should I push for the 500 litre or is the 300 litre ok for a 2200 sq ft house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How many occupants? how many in a few years?

I would go with 400l as a middle ground, are you fitting solar at any point in the future? would it be worthwhile to fit a dual coil cylinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How many occupants? how many in a few years?

I would go with 400l as a middle ground, are you fitting solar at any point in the future? would it be worthwhile to fit a dual coil cylinder?

Id say at most there would be 5 in the house eventually. We are looking at fitting solar panels straight away so either a dual or triple coil cylinder might be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Id say at most there would be 5 in the house eventually. We are looking at fitting solar panels straight away so either a dual or triple coil cylinder might be needed.

Sei suggest 50L per occupant.

300 is plenty imo.I would strongly advise getting a triple coil, Its invaluable to have a spare coil in any event of a future heating source.

If there is the oppertunity, some cyls have the capicity for dual immersion, id add that too.

A triple coil will set u back about 1600 euro and a dual anything in and around 1100, but ts worth it paying the extra few euro. Shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

i'd go with Snyper on this one,

i've installed a triple coil cylinder with dual immersion in my place, got the lads doing the solar panels to order the cylinder for me for an extra couple of euro

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

A standard HW cylinder is 120L so 300L is plenty for a 5 person house, remember that if you go too big then your just paying to heat extra water that wont get used

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

or is the 300 litre ok for a 2200 sq ft house?
    Why, where and how did the idea get around that the size of cylinder should be chosen based on the size of the house?

Gurgle wrote: »
    Why, where and how did the idea get around that the size of cylinder should be chosen based on the size of the house?

Its based on occupant numbers, ones reqirements for howater, however that said - a 2200 house is unlikely to house 15 people! :D

If he said 4000 sq ft, we could also assume there are at least 6 bedrooms...

It is always important to take into consideration the possible occupancy of a house. If a 4000 sq ft house is inhabited by only 2 people, you need to take into account the possibility of the house being sold on, and in that event the house could need alot more hot water if a big family move in

But assumptions are dangerous.. so lets not assume..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

We have a 3000sq ft house & 450 ltr dual coil water tank . I have been in a three bedroom house 1100sqft with a 300ltr tank & it regularly drained down & then airlocked the system when the pumped showers were working

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

bertie1 wrote: »
    We have a 3000sq ft house & 450 ltr dual coil water tank . I have been in a three bedroom house 1100sqft with a 300ltr tank & it regularly drained down & then airlocked the system when the pumped showers were working

If you’ve got a 300ltr cylinder and your pulling out 15 or 20 litres per minute on a power shower, your standard 200 ltr cold water storage tank is not going to replace it quick enough leading to the air lock. The water coming into that house is not able to replenish the cold water storage tank quickly enough.

Self builders with their own wells can up the pressure on the cold water storage/install a bigger or another tank or just go pressurised therefore cutting out the cold water storage feeding the hot water.
    Out of interest I have a 200 litre cylinder heated up to 70 degress and only about half is used to fill a 1800 x 800 bath for an adult (because of mixing) with more than enough for a shower afterwards. I actual had to change the feed from the cold tank to the thermostatic mixing from ¾ qualplex to ¾ copper to get more cold down to the taps.
    IMO anything bigger than 300 ltr for domestic situations should be used as a buffer vessel with the hot water coming off that using a heat exchanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Anybody with a big cylinder should have a look at this Resol display http://www.resol.de/en/english.shtml look under measurement instruments and see the Heat indication display CALVIO it costs about €200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

I thought the tank should be sized on the amount of solar?

So, op, how much solar are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,087 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought the tank should be sized on the amount of solar?

So, op, how much solar are you using?
    Even with zero solar, you stil need a hot water tank

Mellor wrote: »
    Even with zero solar, you stil need a hot water tank

Yes im very much fully aware of that

But as pointed out, the usual is a 120litre tank.

He then noted that he was using solar. 120litre tank wouldn't be big enough if he was using 5m2 of solar. Going by the size of the tank the plumber has suggested, im guesing between 4-5m2 of solar is going to be used.

davidoco wrote: »
    If you’ve got a 300ltr cylinder and your pulling out 15 or 20 litres per minute on a power shower, your standard 200 ltr cold water storage tank is not going to replace it quick enough leading to the air lock. The water coming into that house is not able to replenish the cold water storage tank quickly enough.

Self builders with their own wells can up the pressure on the cold water storage/install a bigger or another tank or just go pressurised therefore cutting out the cold water storage feeding the hot water.
    Out of interest I have a 200 litre cylinder heated up to 70 degress and only about half is used to fill a 1800 x 800 bath for an adult (because of mixing) with more than enough for a shower afterwards. I actual had to change the feed from the cold tank to the thermostatic mixing from ¾ qualplex to ¾ copper to get more cold down to the taps.
    IMO anything bigger than 300 ltr for domestic situations should be used as a buffer vessel with the hot water coming off that using a heat exchanger.

Good info imo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,087 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes im very much fully aware of that

But as pointed out, the usual is a 120litre tank.

He then noted that he was using solar. 120litre tank wouldn't be big enough if he was using 5m2 of solar. Going by the size of the tank the plumber has suggested, im guesing between 4-5m2 of solar is going to be used.

Sorry, I'm sure you were aware, wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. Just pointing it out for a layperson, they lurk about everywhere :D

Its true in a way that if you have such an amount of solar, you will need a tank to cope.
    But if done correctly it is sized on the number of people, and then solar is also sized from the number of people, this means that you have optimised levels of solar and a tank to cope.

Mellor wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm sure you were aware, wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. Just pointing it out for a layperson, they lurk about everywhere :D

Its true in a way that if you have such an amount of solar, you will need a tank to cope.
    But if done correctly it is sized on the number of people, and then solar is also sized from the number of people, this means that you have optimised levels of solar and a tank to cope.

I see, im still riding the learning curve :D

Advertisement