Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people able to think of nothing?

Options
  • 13-05-2021 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

So are people able to train their brain to think of nothing? Or is the brain like a shark? It has to swim, it has to think to survive.

I try to think of very simple things- a tree, a green field when I want to stop overthinking.

Anyone have their own methods, I can borrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I like listening to music, it helps with my thinking I suppose. If you look at it from a Reeling in the Years perspective, music can map the calendar of events, memories, news stories, festival moments. Yeah sometimes I think of nothing when I'm comfortably numb. :) That didn't really answer your question, just a little stoned and fancied a ramble.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If I want to think of nothing there is this wonderful hydrocarbon called ethanol (C2H4OH) that does the trick. I think it is legally available in this country.

I don't really have the desire to think of nothing and I'm not good at it. I prefer to focus on something like being in the gym or doing a cryptic crossword.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Boards is full of people who have their brains switched off most of them time..

I focus on very small, smaller, even smaller, details when I'm in a brain-collapse. So for example, first look at the cotton bracelet on my wrist, then focus on its knot, then focus again on the type of knot it is.

Thinking of "nothing" is probably impossible, but you can train your brain to focus on minor matters instead, which crowds-out the anxiety that might be descending on top of you.

People call this "mindfulness", it doesnt need such an arch-sounding title. It's just a moment to re-focus the brain. Anyone who rides horses has known about this method for years, it's called the half-halt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Thinking about nothing is not the same as not thinking, for nothing is something, before life started it was alleged that there was nothing, so nothing actually pre exists everything, if there was not nothing then there could never be something.

No thing is the opposite of something, therefore is not nothing, think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Yes I can control my thoughts and be calm and a piece but the sub conscious is always on alert which is tiring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

"Sitting fixedly, think of not thinking. How do you think of not thinking? Nonthinking. This is the art of zazen."

Dōgen

I wish I could switch my brain off. Permanently...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

thinking of nothing is still thinking therefore thinking of nothing is actually thinking of something just so happens that something is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

But if you think of nothing, or rarther don't think anthing, you might not be able to switch youself back on again.

begbysback wrote: »
    ... think about it.

Isn't the whole point of the OP trying NOT to think about 'it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I hear noise, though that could be the tinnitus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Isn't the whole point of the OP trying NOT to think about 'it'.

Not it, nothing, he’s asking if people are able to think about nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

So are people able to train their brain to think of nothing? Or is the brain like a shark? It has to swim, it has to think to survive.

I try to think of very simple things- a tree, a green field when I want to stop overthinking.

There is no such thing as nothing. The word 'nothing' in itself is 'something' because you know it exists, if it didn't exist then it would be nothing, but then you wouldn't be able to understand what nothing is. A basic example would be the big bang scenario. You have a singularity of which is something, but some folk think that the singularity came from nothing, The 'something' that created the singularity is something, not 'nothing' and the thing that created the singularity is now called nothingness, so what created nothingness?. Something created nothingness and exists.

The word 'nothing' is just something we do not fully understand yet. Nope, I cannot think of nothing, because nothing is something.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Indians invented zero and the Irish invented the gaps between words.

Lots of nothing that people worked hard at.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Yes, you could also say that if zero means nothing, an empty space of nothingness then we wouldn't be talking about nothing right now, remove the zero from the 1 and our computers cease to exist as code, and maybe our reality as well in regards to the holographic universe. :cool:

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Your brain craves stimulation... if you wake up, tell yourself to stare at the lightbulb in the ceiling and think about nothing, you’ll fail, because you’ll be thinking about staring at the lightbulb..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

There is no such thing as nothing. The word 'nothing' in itself is 'something' because you know it exists, if it didn't exist then it would be nothing, but then you wouldn't be able to understand what nothing is. A basic example would be the big bang scenario. You have a singularity of which is something, but some folk think that the singularity came from nothing, The 'something' that created the singularity is something, not 'nothing' and the thing that created the singularity is now called nothingness, so what created nothingness?. Something created nothingness and exists.

The word 'nothing' is just something we do not fully understand yet. Nope, I cannot think of nothing, because nothing is something.

Is nobody somebody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Nah I'm always thinking or visualising absolute nonsense.

Watched Rocketman last Saturday and the next day I was sitting at the train station visualising everyone dancing around. **** sake like I wish my brain would take a break! Even work stuff, I'm constantly thinking about different aspects. Often wake up in the night and with an idea or way to solve something.

Open the pubs, I'm going stone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

begbysback wrote: »
    No thing is the opposite of something, therefore is not nothing, think about it.
    thinking of nothing is still thinking therefore thinking of nothing is actually thinking of something just so happens that something is nothing.
    I'm getting a fecking headache here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Trying to zone out, being bored and think of nothing really is a skill these days.
    We're so used to information overload and I reckon we just can't cope without it.

It's well known to be able to zone out can help with creativity and also work towards many problems that may be on your mind.

My wife is often jealous when she asks what I'm thinking about and I've genuinely no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Uh dunno lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What was the question again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I always think of something.

even if it amounts to nothing.

Advertisement