Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Split Rental income with Spouse

• 13-11-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Does anybody know how to split rental income/profit with your spouse so as to save tax?

We're jointly assessed but the mortgage and title deeds of the rental property is in my sole name & therefore is fully assessed in my name.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

Add your spouses name to the title deeds then the assessable case V will be split between both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭boffin54321

Thanks for that.

Complication is that there is a mortgage on the property and the bank won't allow me to add my spouse to the title deeds without taking out a new mortgage.
    I'll then lose the tracker rate on the existing mortgage.

Any ideas on what I can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

Sorry I haven't really thought about it in detail and don't really have all details but offhand, I can't really see how you would save on tax. You probably have the increased threshold and married person tax credit if your spouse has no income. By splitting income, it wont give you any additional credits and your spouse could potentially lose the home carer tax credit if it is being claimed.

As I said, its hard to get a full picture without seeing figures but I just said I'd give my input to see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭boffin54321

By splitting the rental income I would benefit from the individualisation of the tax bands - my wife would be taxed at 20% on the split rental income instead of 40% for me.

Is this right?

And is there a mechanism to split the rental income when the title deeds of the rental property are in my name without having to get the banks consent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

[quote="boffin54321;115360136"
    And is there a mechanism to split the rental income when the title deeds of the rental property are in my name without having to get the banks consent?[/quote]

Unfortunately not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement