Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi ah feedback

Options
  • 28-09-2020 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I am just wondering if mods consider entertainment when moderating?

I mean there are two threads basically on the same topic right now .someone unusual you fancy? And someone you inexplicably love etc?

It would be great if we could come up with some ways to boost creativity in AH.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Those threads were merged, not sure I’d agree with that but it’s fine. I thought one was a thread about inexplicably liking someone, not “fancying” them.

I like Jose Mourinho, I shouldn’t but I do. Can’t help it. Would I be “whacking it” over an image of his angry, Portuguese head? No chance. Just not the way I’m wired. To me, those threads had very different meanings.

As for boosting creativity, think that’s down to us, the users. There used to be a, sort of, “content creator” mod who’d post inane, and asinine, threads. Really ‘what did you do on your holidays’ types on a Sunday evening.

To be fair, they got some people posting but I think he “quit” when a regular user started to do something similar but to a much greater effect. He mostly posts incel type posts in the “Current Affairs” forum these days.

It was a shame to have the “tournament” threads moved out of AH but, at least, they’ve put in a “sticky” that lets you know if one is coming up.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There is also the the things that trivially annoy you thread ...and the seemingly harmless things that annoy you thread. #
    Does this need to be TWO threads?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's for users (including mods should they wish to) to drive any "creativity", however mods should only be doing it as users and there is no requirement for them to drive content. There responsibilities are to apply forum (and site) rules. Yes they may merge threads of similar content

One of the threads you mention in the OP has been running for 9 years and has 6k+ posts. The other one has not been posted in for 14 months.

The trivially annoy you threads have been running for over 7 years, and the second one for 17 hours. They were merged earlier today. All it needs is a Reported Post and mods attention will be drawn to it

As I say, users drive content. You can currently discuss the Speed of Light, Yellow number plates, Social Media, Cannabis, Eastern Europe and Dublin Bus Drivers in AH. Some threads will attract amusing/entertaining commentary, some may be a little more serious. Indeed AH has (based on user feedback) gone back to generally less serious topics with the heavier duty stuff being discussed in Current Affairs.

I repeat though - content is driven by users, not mods (fortunately there have been no Cyclists threads in nearly a year, but over 60 throughout the life of AH - here's hoping this does not trigger another:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I merged those two Annoying Things threads this morning. I was only aware of it through this thread.

Just needs a quick report to draw our attention to it. There could easily be a similar thread that just gets bumped back to the first page every so often.

The only way a mod should control the topics being discussed is to ensure they stay within the lines of civility & charters of the relevant forum. If it was only topics that we(as mods) want, it would be a ghost town in no-time. Nobody wants to be pigeon holed into what they can/can't chat about. There is plenty of threads going through AH that have no interest to me personally, but they are active & keep AH going.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It would certainly annoy me if there were two concurrent threads about trivial nuisances. So would that mean they shouldn’t be merged. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Overheal wrote: »
    It would certainly annoy me if there were two concurrent threads about trivial nuisances. So would that mean they shouldn’t be merged. Hmmmm

Schroedinger's Annoyance

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Schroedinger's Annoyance

Schrodinger's category

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Schrodinger's category

He's not getting a Forum to himself, let alone a Category...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Beasty wrote: »
    I repeat though - content is driven by users, not mods (fortunately there have been no Cyclists threads in nearly a year, but over 60 throughout the life of AH - here's hoping this does not trigger another:pac:)

200.gif

:D

Jokes aside, Beasty has pretty much covered it already.

If you think there are threads that need merging, just report the OP (or any post in the thread) and we will review it.

If you feel creativity is lacking, feel free to start a thread (within the charter parameters of course).

Users drive the content on AH in the main, not mods.

Whilst AH is not my first home on Boards (that will always be Forum Games), since I've become a mod there I've found it in the main to be a great forum where the light-hearted and more.... unconventional threads are allowed to blossom.

Advertisement