Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is everyone allowed to express their opinion on Boards without bias from Mods?

Options
  • 09-08-2020 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Is everyone allowed to express their opinion on Boards?

Are all opinions allowed on boards? If a moderator doesn't agree with a certain opinion, why do they just ban because they disagree. How is any of this fair? All opinion should be freely expressed without being shutdown and silenced.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Don2012 wrote: »
    Is everyone allowed to express their opinion on Boards?

Are all opinions allowed on boards? If a moderator doesn't agree with a certain opinion, why do they just ban because they disagree. How is any of this fair? All opinion should be freely expressed without being shutdown and silenced.

Seems to be ran by left-leaning people who silence any opinion that they disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Seems to be ran by left-leaning people who silence any opinion that they disagree with.

I’m not a mod, but on the threads I’ve seen you weren’t silenced because you expressed right wing views, you were being unnecessarily antagonistic, making claims and refusing to back them up in any way, and refusing to answer genuine questions about what you meant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think you are looking for DRP if you want to argue a mod took action on something you did, that you felt was unwarranted. With this option available to you, it should suggest that boards itself would prefer bias, not to be part of moderation.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I’m not a mod, but on the threads I’ve seen you weren’t silenced because you expressed right wing views, you were being unnecessarily antagonistic, making claims and refusing to back them up in any way, and refusing to answer genuine questions about what you meant.

Well to be honest, you would say that if you disagree with my opinion. I am not "right-wing" btw. Can I not voice my opinion without being attacked and insulted by some sort of left-leaning gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are all opinions allowed on boards?

No. Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Well to be honest, you would say that if you disagree with my opinion. I am not "right-wing" btw. Can I not voice my opinion with being attacked in suited by some sort of left-leaning gang?

You were the one doing most of the attacking from what I saw.

And it’s a general rule of thumb here that if you make an extraordinary claim it’s on you to back it up.

This does not effect your statutory rights.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Don2012,

having been fortunate enough to have been the mod who has dealt with your interactions on the forum this past 24 hours, I can tell you hand on heart that I personally couldn't care less what side of the fence your opinion falls on.

The problem is though, you aren't expressing an opinion. What you are doing is being needlessly confrontational and condescending towards anybody who (I assume) holds an opinion contrary to your own, and refusing to engage with anybody who tried to have a genuine debate with you and refusing to back up any of your claims.

That is what is drawing mod attention on you, not the views you hold. Though I doubt me saying that is going to make a dent in your steadfast belief that your opinion is being stifled.

KiKi III wrote: »
    You were the one doing most of the attacking from what I saw.

And it’s a general rule of thumb here that if you make an extraordinary claim it’s on you to back it up.

This does not effect your statutory rights.

You would say that wouldn't you. From what I've seen, if a person doesn't have the same opinion as the "left-leaning gang" and mods, they are warned and banned. What a joke, free speech doesn't exist on this forum unless you agree with the narrative.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Don2012,

having been fortunate enough to have been the mod who has dealt with your interactions on the forum this past 24 hours, I can tell you hand on heart that I personally couldn't care less what side of the fence your opinion falls on.

The problem is though, you aren't expressing an opinion. What you are going is being needlessly confrontational and condescending towards anybody who (I assume) holds an opinion contrary to your own, and refusing to engage with anybody who tried to have a genuine debate with you and refusing to back up any of your claims.

That is what is drawing mod attention on you, not the views you hold. Though I doubt me saying that is going to make a dent in your steadfast belief that your opinion is being stifled.

I watched as you gave me a warning, saying I "upset" other users, but it was perfectly ok for others to attack and make little of me, you just ignored their comments regardless and banned me. Didn't matter what any of them said to me, that to me is NOT being unbiased, so don't pretend you didn't care about opinions expressed, when you made your view very clear by your actions.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I watched as you gave me a warning, saying I "upset" other users.

Can you please provide a link to the warning saying you "upset" other users?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You would say that wouldn't you. From what I've seen, if a person doesn't have the same opinion as the "left-leaning gang" and mods, they are warned and banned. What a joke, free speech doesn't exist on this forum unless you agree with the narrative.

Constantly using this term "gang" lol

And you're right, there is no such thing as free speech on boards, never had been and never will be. Do you know why?

And you're right, there is no such thing as free speech on boards, never had been and never will be. Do you know why?

I know there isn't, it's just a massive left-leaning bully place for people like you to gather.

Don2012,

The problem is though, you aren't expressing an opinion. What you are going is being needlessly confrontational and condescending towards anybody who (I assume) holds an opinion contrary to your own, and refusing to engage with anybody who tried to have a genuine debate with you and refusing to back up any of your claims.

Is that behaviour perfectly fine ????????

There’s no opinion allowed only the ones that boards agree with. Some forums are worse than others but generally you’ve no right to any free free thinking.

I know there isn't, it's just a massive left-leaning bully place for people like you to gather.

Left leaning :pac:

You don't know me and you have no clue as to my political leanings, fwiw I would be right of center but hey, keep claiming anyone who doesn't agree with you as lefties, comedy gold.

Is that behaviour perfectly fine ????????

what behaviour lol.

There’s no opinion allowed only the ones that boards agree with. Some forums are worse than others but generally you’ve no right to any free free thinking.

free thinking is encouraged, always has been on here. Absolute free speech is not allowed though, do you know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I don't know what thread this started on, CA presumably, but these threads are far more entertaining than anything in CA.

Regards,

Leftie Bully

I've found that out the hard way. Terrible that opinions are shot down if they and their (what seems to be a gang) disagree. What is the point in these forums?

free thinking is encouraged, always has been on here. Absolute free speech is not allowed though, do you know why?

Because Boards can be taken to court and their priorities have changed since they were bought out, yes I know why. They’re far too cautious with it though. And then you have the cases where a moderator will have views that are wrong but closes down anything that doesn’t go along with their own view.

Hopefully you’ll stop repeating that now though at least.

• Advertisement

I've found that out the hard way. Terrible that opinions are shot down if they and their (what seems to be a gang) disagree. What is the point in these forums?

As I requested earlier...
    Can you please provide a link to the warning saying you "upset" other users?

I've found that out the hard way. Terrible that opinions are shot down if they and their (what seems to be a gang) disagree. What is the point in the forum?

Your opinions are not "shot down", your opinions are questioned, when questioned you have difficulty answering. If you can't answer you ignore the questions and go off on a tangent, people Continue to ask you the question that you avoided/refused to answer and this seems to make you think you are being ganged up on.

Seen it many times before and will.see it many times again, same format from so many posters.

"Free speech is encouraged" lol lol are you for real???!!!!!

Because Boards can be taken to court and their priorities have changed since they were bought out, yes I know why. They’re far too cautious with it though. And then you have the cases where a moderator will have views that are wrong but closes down anything that doesn’t go along with their own view.

Hopefully you’ll stop repeating that now though at least.

Can you show a thread where this has happened?

As I requested earlier...

It was either you, or one of your other mods friends who have been banning and warning me since I voiced an opinion yesterday. Odd that you choose to ignore your fighting buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Where did the post you quoted say that?

Thats not what I said though is it?

Can you show a thread where this has happened?

I can’t because as soon as I do I’ll have specified a moderator and I’ll get the usual Boards runaround because of that. Not worth the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭zara100

<post snipped>

Admin: Please note that to post in Feedback, you must have 100 posts on the site and have been a registered member for at least 3 months.

• Advertisement

I can’t because as soon as I do I’ll have specified a moderator and I’ll get the usual Boards runaround because of that. Not worth the bother.

Amazing, so many make the same claim as you yet not one is ever able to show the proof, and always use the same excuse as you :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement