Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red top bullies

Options
  • 16-02-2020 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

List of people bullied into suicide by the media
    1 Caroline Flack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

This thread just popped up on my homepage. I'll say this, I have no idea who this person is but I'm completely unsurprised that someone has taken their life as a result of the behaviour of red top media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I totally agree.

Watch the documentary on Michael Barrymore and see how the media manipulated people unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I see different sides to this. Most important another young person has commited suicide which is the tragedy here. On the media.
    1. How many people blaming the media are the same people who are the first to pick up a paper, jump online, jump on social media etc when a rumour breaks about a celebrity. If you do then you are feeding the media, they aren't fools if it didn't get clicks they wouldn't pay people for stories.
    2. A lot of celebrities who complain about the media can be the first to utilise them when it suits them. Can't have it both ways. It's amazing how often a cameraman happens to just be there when someone has a new "bikini body" or "new partner" etc which also seems to coincide with a tour or a new movie coming out. Either use them and put up with it or stay away completely. Just my opinion I'm sure a lot will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Pretty much any contestant on the X-Factor that Simon Cowell didn't like, all done through Dan Wootton at the S*n.

Matthew Kelly had his career ruined by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

People buy them. That's the problem, if it didn't sell then they wouldn't do it.
    People who buy these newspapers or read them online are also to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

The cult of celebrity is the real problem combined with the twitter free for all that poor person killed herself cos she couldnt face losing her spotlight and army of adoration as she committed a crime and abused her partner. She couldnt face the evidence of mental illness coming out and her celebrity world falling down. Now she will be revered forever as a victim instead of a person who attacked another person. I am sorry for her family but they should have helped her long before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

People buy them. That's the problem, if it didn't sell then they wouldn't do it.
    People who buy these newspapers or read them online are also to blame.
    People support celebrity/fame ‘culture’. People read tabloids. People follow unremarkable people who’d like to be seen as remarkable. The fame machine chews people up, but the fuel is the public.

Probably the wrong forum to be suggesting this...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

" you reap what you sow "
    Z listers wanting fame at all costs .
    The older / wiser you hopefully become , you realise your fortunate if you have literally a handful of people , you can truly depend on.
    In this world it's people who will let you down the most .
    Unfortunately for a lot of people it's to late before they realise this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I think fame is a double edged sword. Just like social media. If you use it to glorify and publicize yourself then you'll get that, but you'll also get the other edge of that in the form of criticism and personal attacks. Its the nature of the beast. You wont get one without the other. Its an old story, as old as time. When Jesus entered into Jerusalem people were cheering for him. A few days later the same people who had cheered for him and proclaimed him to be the messiah, were also the ones who were screaming for him to be crucified.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

All the main stream media would make you want to shoot yourself they are soo full of virtue signalling and lies and they only cover what the agenda is not the real news .

• Advertisement
Advertisement