Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Lathe improvements.

Options
  • 13-03-2020 12:59am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just purchased a variable speed drive and new motor for my lathe.

I need to get back to some turning, cold turkey is setting in after a long time away.

And i have finally cracked :eek::D

And to complement my new motor setup ( not fitted yet) I am considering this,

SuperNOVA2 Woodturning Chuck Direct Thread M33 Package.

And i would welcome you guys views, good or bad of this bit of kit,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had it's predecessor the plain old Supernova for years, with a few different jaws. I have an older chuck too, similar to the Nova G3, but it was called something else back then.

I tend to keep the same jaws on each chuck, as swapping them round although easy is quite time consuming, so have a 50mm set on the smaller chuck, and a larger set, 70mm I think, on the larger one. I also have a few other sets that I rarely use, including the Cole jaws which look like a good idea but are a PITA to set up and don't really grip anything with anything but a perfectly straight and flat lip.

I too haven't done any turning for ages for various reasons, I really must get back to it some time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well is it getting the thumbs up??

I need to get my turning fix sooner rather than later:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kadman wrote: »
    Well is it getting the thumbs up??

I need to get my turning fix sooner rather than later:D

Absolutely. Robert Sorby do a good chuck system too. The Patriot, I think it's called.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the 100m axminster one, quite similar to the above. one thing i'd like for it - and it's included in one of the packages above, the carpentry store one, is the faceplate ring.

might be worth comparing costs of optional jaws, you might find yourself buying some. in the carpentry store, the nova jaws seem a little more expensive than axminster ones, but the actual axminster chuck package is more expensive though (but now includes the ring):
    https://www.thecarpentrystore.com/p/axminster-sk100-clubman-chuck-package-t01-3_4-x-16tpi/101967

• Advertisement

i have the 100m axminster one, quite similar to the above. one thing i'd like for it - and it's included in one of the packages above, the carpentry store one, is the faceplate ring.

might be worth comparing costs of optional jaws, you might find yourself buying some. in the carpentry store, the nova jaws seem a little more expensive than axminster ones, but the actual axminster chuck package is more expensive though (but now includes the ring):
    https://www.thecarpentrystore.com/p/axminster-sk100-clubman-chuck-package-t01-3_4-x-16tpi/101967

But I need the M33 thread, so the axminster wont suit .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

available in M33 too:
    https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-clubman-chuck-sk100-m33-x-3-5mm-ref-t38-504539

that said, i suspect there's not much to choose between them. i suspect whatever you buy, you'll be happy with it.

available in M33 too:
    https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-clubman-chuck-sk100-m33-x-3-5mm-ref-t38-504539

that said, i suspect there's not much to choose between them. i suspect whatever you buy, you'll be happy with it.

Am drawn to the carpentry store, as it saves all the hassle of posting ect
    And i hear good things about the lads there.
    But I cannot find any additional jaws there.

i got my lathe there, can't fault them - but i've never had to test their customer service really, anything i've bought has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Another vote for the carpentry store. Got my minilathe there, they took loads of time to talk through all the bits and pieces of it, warn me about the things to watch for (the lathe will feed in power if it slows down so if you take a very long heavy cut, it'll feed in power till it burns itself out), even threw in a few blanks to get going with. They also host the local woodturning guild chapter there. Well, current circumstances exempted obviously. Just went back and bought two toolrests off them online there last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Also, once you convert from sterling and add in postage, their axminister prices are the same as buying direct to within a few euro.

Advertisement