Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tomfox

I'm supposed to travel to Copenhagen tomorrow. Staying the weekend only but not sure what to do now that 1 case has been confirmed in Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

Tomfox wrote: »
    I'm supposed to travel to Copenhagen tomorrow. Staying the weekend only but not sure what to do now that 1 case has been confirmed in Denmark.

Will you be driving or getting a taxi, you could be in a car accident! Did that ever stop you, seriously get a grip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Being hand sanitizer
    Wash your hands regularly in sinks with anti septic handwash
    You'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

anacc wrote: »
    You couldn't be more wrong... It's a respiratory infection that is spread via droplets from breathing or coughing -- the exact definition of airborne.

Sorry, that is not an airborne virus like measles

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

I'm just worried because of the way the hotel guests have been locked down in Costa Adeje. We are only going for a long weekend and I will be caring for a vulnerable person when I get back. My main fear is that we get quarantined and are unable to come home.

That is my fear, if somebody gets it in the hotel, was planning majorca at Easter and then you would be in a lock down situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Steer55 wrote: »
    you should ave waited until Aer Lingus cancelled the flight, you prob wont get refunded now but you can try.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-travel-advice-flights-5021223-Feb2020/

I doubt he actually cancelled the flight part...can you even do that. Just not going to go and hope for it to be cancelled anyway. Only actually cancelled the hotel and car hire from what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

ckd wrote: »
    Did you manage to get a full or part refund for your trip??

We got nothing back, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Better not go across the border, first case in Northern Ireland now confirmed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

It takes years to fully understand a new human infection like this. There’ll probably be quite a few surprises along the way. At the moment, the virus seems to be more contagious than regular flu, approximately twice, and twenty times more deadly, so a fair bit to worry about in just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Vaccine in 3 weeks according to Israeli scientists today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Vaccine in 3 weeks according to Israeli scientists today

Won't be allowed in humans that quickly. There are testing protocols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Caranica wrote: »
    Won't be allowed in humans that quickly. There are testing protocols.

To be honest I’m skeptical they have one at all

Too coincidental it’s announced days after the stock market “crash”

Ardillaun wrote: »
    It takes years to fully understand a new human infection like this. There’ll probably be quite a few surprises along the way. At the moment, the virus seems to be more contagious than regular flu, approximately twice, and twenty times more deadly, so a fair bit to worry about in just that.

Where did you pluck 20 times more deadly from?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Where did you pluck 20 times more deadly from?

Flu death rate is .2 percent civic 19 is between 1 and 4 percent so he's probably about right at twenty

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Flu death rate is .2 percent civic 19 is between 1 and 4 percent so he's probably about right at twenty

I’ve read 0.7% vs 2%.

I’d say we could both find an array of figures though as most outlets seem to be just making them up. Probably just depends which agenda a news outlet is pushing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Will flight prices rise or fall, do you think?
    So far I have only seen a slight rise in what I was looking for. I was a little surprised- I thought it would be the reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Numbers flying will fall, which means flight will fall

However if airlines reduce or pull out out of certain routes , flight prices will increase
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-26/british-airways-shrinks-milan-timetable-as-virus-hits-demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Seeing in the news that airlines are reporting predicted loses this year..as bad as 2008.

Question...will their prices go up or down? I would be on the next flight over to Tenerife if I saw bargain prices.

It's there...it's here...it's everywhere so no point in being afraid to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Seeing in the news that airlines are reporting predicted loses this year..as bad as 2008.

Question...will their prices go up or down? I would be on the next flight over to Tenerife if I saw bargain prices.

It's there...it's here...it's everywhere so no point in being afraid to travel.

might bean empty flight

• Registered Users Posts: 13 WindowWaver

I think Ireland needs to shut up shop and weather the storm.
    How on earth is it ok to allow someone who was sick to come into Dublin Airport, get public transport to Belfast and not see it as an issue??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I’ve read 0.7% vs 2%.

I’d say we could both find an array of figures though as most outlets seem to be just making them up. Probably just depends which agenda a news outlet is pushing.

PthdJUF.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This. A thousand times this. People are flapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Sigma101

groovie wrote: »
    PthdJUF.png

Take those figures with a large pinch of salt. They’re just not reliable at this stage for many reasons
    • 97% of the figures are Chinese, - you can decide yourself how reliable Chinese official stats are;
    • The pandemic is at a very early stage – actual mortality rates can only be determined when it's in its final stages;
    • Rates will change as the pandemic progresses;
    • Rates will vary from country to country- depending on how the country can cope with severe cases -rates will possibly be higher in western countries where health services are typically close to 100% capacity;
    • There's a high degree of uncertainty about reinfections and their implications for reinfected patients.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look at the eventual figures for SARS and they had the world in a flap about that too. Still more chance of being killed by a domestic partner.

Unless someone is immuno-compromised, there is no need to flap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

spurious wrote: »
    Look at the eventual figures for SARS and they had the world in a flap about that too. Still more chance of being killed by a domestic partner.

Unless someone is immuno-compromised, there is no need to flap.

Do most people not know somebody old or immuno-compromised they could infect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭skinny90

going to Bali in April...Not sure how this will go we have a stopover in Singapore , misses booked through an agent.
    Not sure what to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

skinny90 wrote: »
    going to Bali in April...Not sure how this will go we have a stopover in Singapore , misses booked through an agent.
    Not sure what to do

Don’t do anything. If you cancel you’ll likely lose money. If it were me I’d still go. You’ll be in no more danger there than you will here. If you aren’t old or sick the virus isn’t really a threat to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

For anyone in a similar boat trying to cancel/move bookings.

Dublin Airport Car Park offer free cancellation up to 6 hours before your stay.

Non refundable booking on hotel via Hotels.com - contacted hotel directly and they offered to credit the cost minus booking fee (€30) against a later stay - conditions - Must be used by 31st Dec & booked directly though them.

Aerlingus - Email received allowing movement of flights to alternative dates up to End March.

Not ideal overall but i'm down a lot less than I thought I could be given the situation!

groovie wrote: »
    PthdJUF.png

Give me 10 minutes on excel and I’ll knock one up that says 100% of us will live til we’re 99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I am less worried about contracting the virus when on holiday than I am about being quarantined abroad for however long it takes and then getting home again. The cost of this (in monetary terms alone) may well be prohibitive.

Will/can employers pay you while you are kicking your heels on an extra long 'holiday' and not even sick? I doubt it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No indications of any fall in prices, so it make take some time before that happens...

A lot of airlines have full aircraft, however it's a matter of how many passengers will show up having paid for a seat already, i've heard tell of empty flights to Italy even though every seat was booked and paid for....

Easyjet and BA could reduce say 4 flights a day to Italy down to 1

We just don't know yet.... And panic is starting to set in so a fall in bookings will follow..

I’ve read 0.7% vs 2%.

Even in the US, it’s difficult to determine how many people catch flu and die of flu. For example, an elderly person with multiple other health problems may catch flu, develop pneumonia, die and flu may not even be mentioned on the death certificate. However, I have not seen 0.7% mentioned - that sounds a bit high for seasonal flu. Here’s a report on the current flu season in the US:

Recent estimates indicate that of the 22 million flu cases in the US thus far, 210,000 hospitalizations have occurred, and 12,000 deaths have been reported. In total, there have been 78 pediatric deaths so far this season, with 10 new deaths reported last week.

https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/flu-cases-exceed-22-million-in-us

That gives a fatality rate of less than 1/1000, around 0.06%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I'm tracking a number of flights to Italy for work in July and September (May visit is off, for obvious reasons) and the flight prices are on a downward trend, but it's in the single digits of euros rather than anything significant.

But as they're so far out from the date, the likes of Ryanair, BA and Aer Lingus normally reduce the prices about 6-4 weeks out.

The exception there is EasyJet, as their prices don't seem to go down, from the flights I've tracked over the last year.

I'd often go with Swiss via Zurich and Milan, as they do some crazy discounting on round or multi city trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm tracking a number of flights to Italy for work in July and September (May visit is off, for obvious reasons) and the flight prices are on a downward trend, but it's in the single digits of euros rather than anything significant.

But as they're so far out from the date, the likes of Ryanair, BA and Aer Lingus normally reduce the prices about 6-4 weeks out.

The exception there is EasyJet, as their prices don't seem to go down, from the flights I've tracked over the last year.

I'd often go with Swiss via Zurich and Milan, as they do some crazy discounting on round or multi city trips.

Why bother tracking flights for work ? If you have to go you have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ludo wrote: »
    I doubt he actually cancelled the flight part...can you even do that. Just not going to go and hope for it to be cancelled anyway. Only actually cancelled the hotel and car hire from what he said.

Didn't cancel the flight. The best I could hope for is taxes back.
    Hotel hadn't been paid for and could be cancelled up to 1 march.
    Hadnt booked a car.
    If hotel prices dropped considerably we may reconsider but unlikely.
    A few days in East cork on a Groupon deal is in the planning depending on the weather.

I just canceled my flight to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I would genuinely purchase any trips to the canaries for 1 or 2 people if anyone is canceling..send a PM. Really craving some sun even if it's just 19c.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Due to go to play Las Americas mid April, unsure as what to do :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rx713B wrote: »
    Due to go to play Las Americas mid April, unsure as what to do :confused:

Wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Did you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Due to go to Singapore at Easter, and then have 1.5 days in Beijing on the way home. Not too keen on travelling any more but the airline (Finnair) is only offering refunds on flights up to March 31st.

Anyone care to speculate if these flight cancellations will continue into April or are things likely to get a bit better in China?

KevinK wrote: »
    Due to go to Singapore at Easter, and then have 1.5 days in Beijing on the way home. Not too keen on travelling any more but the airline (Finnair) is only offering refunds on flights up to March 31st.

Anyone care to speculate if these flight cancellations will continue into April or are things likely to get a bit better in China?

I suspect they will extend that to the end of April in the coming weeks. Emirates and a few others have done this already. If I were you I would wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Hi all,

We have flights booked for Dubai for a week, leaving Monday morning.

So far UAE has 20 cases and no signs of a flare up. However I am starting to see news trickling out about school activity cancellations, hotel lockdown for cycling tour etc. Nothing major but I wonder is it a silly time to be there right now?

Honestly not from a point of view of catching it but from potential hassle and not being able to do things.

We are flying via Istanbul both directions so the thought crossed my mind to just take a holiday there.

We haven’t booked hotels yet so whatever choice we make won’t cost us really.

Anyone there right now that can describe what it’s like on the ground so to speak? All pretty normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

zig wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have flights booked for Dubai for a week, leaving Monday morning.

So far UAE has 20 cases and no signs of a flare up. However I am starting to see news trickling out about school activity cancellations, hotel lockdown for cycling tour etc. Nothing major but I wonder is it a silly time to be there right now?

Honestly not from a point of view of catching it but from potential hassle and not being able to do things.

We are flying via Istanbul both directions so the thought crossed my mind to just take a holiday there.

We haven’t booked hotels yet so whatever choice we make won’t cost us really.

Anyone there right now that can describe what it’s like on the ground so to speak? All pretty normal?

I'm not in Dubai so I can't give you a definitive answer, but I imagine life is continuing as normal. There are a couple of hotels implementing procedures on Yas Island outside Abu Dhabi but that is really not an issue for your trip. You should travel and enjoy your holiday. Lovely time of year to go there, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

MadYaker wrote: »
    I suspect they will extend that to the end of April in the coming weeks. Emirates and a few others have done this already. If I were you I would wait and see.

Do any travel insurances pay out if your trip is cancelled due to the virus? Or do airlines refund you if they cancel the flight?

Looking to book a trip to the States at the end of March, but flights aren't cheap so don't want to get completely shafted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Do any travel insurances pay out if your trip is cancelled due to the virus? Or do airlines refund you if they cancel the flight?

Looking to book a trip to the States at the end of March, but flights aren't cheap so don't want to get completely shafted

Standard insurance policies don’t cover this, but definitely possible to get it upgraded. Change of mind cover or something similar I think

Spleerbun wrote: »

They will refund you if they cancel your flight but you'll have to ring them to get them to do it. If you cancel yourself you'll get nothing. You've left it late to book that so flights will be expensive. Now is probably a bad time to be booking anything tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

Due to fly to Tenerife on the 15th March. Hotel is a couple of doors up from the quarantined one. I'm not worried about catching the virus really, but the thoughts of getting locked in hotel for 2+ weeks is worrying. If there's cases popping up left, right and centre will they continue to lock people down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Due to fly to Tenerife on the 15th March. Hotel is a couple of doors up from the quarantined one. I'm not worried about catching the virus really, but the thoughts of getting locked in hotel for 2+ weeks is worrying. If there's cases popping up left, right and centre will they continue to lock people down?

I would worry more about any old or young people you may infect if you were unlucky enough to catch it. That's whatI am thinking of in relation to my planned trip to France next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

I would worry more about any old or young people you may infect if you were unlucky enough to catch it. That's whatI am thinking of in relation to my planned trip to France next week.

True. Are you still going? Or called it off?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement