Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizontal Cedar Garden Fence

Options
  • 30-05-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hi, would appreciate any advice anyone can provide on the below.

I want to create a timber screen next to an external patio area and also along the wall to the end of the garden similar to image below.

What timber would you recommend? Ive contacted a couple of suppliers and the options seem to be Cedar, 'DuraWood', or 'Microshade'. I'm a little confused on the Micorshade and DuraWood as these are brand names not wood types:confused:

Anyway I will probably opt for the cedar as its the same price as the DuraWood am I missing any options? What I'm looking for is low maintenance (as much as is possible) and something that will retain its colour (the two are linked I know!)

Would I need to also use cedar posts? this is all going to be fixed to an existing block wall, with 20mm gaps inbetween the horizontal battens.
    Straight forward job?

Sorry image is so large I dont how to reduce its size...

horizontal-cedar-fence-horizontal-fence-horizontal-fence-plans-horizontal-cedar-fence-cost-horizontal-cedar-fence-panels.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Larch would also be suitable for this type of fencing. Though no timber will retain it's colour without applying a finish. Cedar, larch or just about any timber will go silvery grey after a year or so in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rusty.

Hi.
    Did you ever complete the cedar fence after? I'm considering doing the same thing and I have a few questions regarding sourcing and weathering over time
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

I did indeed,
    I did a full job of it in Cedar which was actually in my parents garden.
    I did my own a year later in cheaper douglas fir which still looks great to be honest, both treated to prevent greying.

Have a look at this thread here I have put up pics and more details. Give me a shout if you have any specific questions.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058018014

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ceady

Great post
    I need to make a wall topper screen for a patio area of 15 foot long between 2 and 3 foot of screening on the wall with posts to keep my cat off the neighbors wall

Anyone use Micro Shades Brown comes in 4.8mx70x20 would have 20mm gaps sound perfect length for what I need.......:confused:

Advertisement