Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone having issues getting a refund from TUI?

• 31-03-2020 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

We have a package holiday booked with TUI to Majorca starting May 23rd

I looked for a refund yesterday based on the below link, guidance from the Irish Government, Commission for Aviation Regulation, The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/travel/travel_plans_and_covid19.html

https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/COVID-19-Guidance-on-the-right-of-travellers-to-terminate-package-travel-contracts.html

https://www.aviationreg.ie/news/overview-of-customer-rights-to-cancel-a-package-due-to-covid-19.953.html
    At present, the following cancellation rights apply:

Package holidays due to start before 29 May – you are entitled to a full refund without paying a termination fee. Travel organisers can offer a refund by means of a credit note or vouchers but you do not have to accept this and can insist on getting a full refund.

Package holidays due to start after 29 May – you are still entitled to cancel your booking and get a refund but you may have to pay a termination fee to the travel organiser.

Package holidays due to start after 29 May that are already cancelled by the travel organiser - you are entitled to a full refund without paying a termination fee to the travel organiser.

When I rang they said that their legal department are "seeking clarity" as they claim there is a conflict between the above government departments and the Department of Foreign Affairs.

So I have followed up with an email stating things clearly and asking for a refund. If they don't refund I'm going to use this email to help move forward with a credit card chargeback. I could wait but don't want to miss the boat on getting a refund.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We have a package holiday booked with TUI to Majorca starting May 23rd

I looked for a refund yesterday based on the below link, guidance from the Irish Government, Commission for Aviation Regulation, The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/travel/travel_plans_and_covid19.html

https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/COVID-19-Guidance-on-the-right-of-travellers-to-terminate-package-travel-contracts.html

https://www.aviationreg.ie/news/overview-of-customer-rights-to-cancel-a-package-due-to-covid-19.953.html

When I rang they said that their legal department are "seeking clarity" as they claim there is a conflict between the above government departments and the Department of Foreign Affairs.

So I have followed up with an email stating things clearly and asking for a refund. If they don't refund I'm going to use this email to help move forward with a credit card chargeback. I could wait but don't want to miss the boat on getting a refund.

Anyone else in the same boat?

they contacted me last week telling me I had until 4/4/20 to pay the remainder of my holiday.
    I contacted them today telling them I had no intention of paying the remainder of the balance when the current climate is taken into account.
    I have requested any money above the deposit to be repaid in full to my bank account.
    I have also requested that my deposit be used to secure a similar booking (or the same booking at a later date this year or next year).
    we'll see how I get on.

got an e mail back today:

"The office is only accessible for limited periods of time per week over the next two weeks for people to make payments and discuss emergency travel issues within imminent arrivals & departures dates for April.

At this time the office is closed today, but we have limited access to emails, we are currently working restricted hours in compliance with the ‘stay at home’ order from the Government.

TUI have not cancelled any June 2020 sheduals as yet & their plan at the moment is everything to run as normal unless the DFA advise the opposite. How TUI have worked to date if your date is affected you can move all monies paid to a later date in 2020 or push it right back to 2021.

For future travel dates all terms & conditions of future holidays stand so if your holiday is further down the line to travel for example June/July and so on and your balance is due to be paid we have to stick to the payment dates but should your holiday become affected then the choices TUI give as advised above was to move your holiday back to 2020 or 2021 or they gave an option to have it as full future credit giving flexibility then altogether. So at this moment your date is not classed as a affected so if you choose to not pay your balance on the dates due your holiday will be cancelled at loss of deposits & fees, we would need to access your file to confirm these charges I cannot access the file until we have office access tomorrow. However if you felt more comfortable to look at pushing the dates back into 2021 to take the concern away we can look at this for you.

Both ourselves and TUI are bonded with IATA & registered with CAR I know with this crisis everyone is panicking but thankfully if booked any monies paid are safe. Up to now we've had no cancellations with everything being managed correctly for the protection of our clients we have pushed back where necessary"

what do ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

tom1ie wrote: »
    got an e mail back today:

"The office is only accessible for limited periods of time per week over the next two weeks for people to make payments and discuss emergency travel issues within imminent arrivals & departures dates for April.

At this time the office is closed today, but we have limited access to emails, we are currently working restricted hours in compliance with the ‘stay at home’ order from the Government.

TUI have not cancelled any June 2020 sheduals as yet & their plan at the moment is everything to run as normal unless the DFA advise the opposite. How TUI have worked to date if your date is affected you can move all monies paid to a later date in 2020 or push it right back to 2021.

For future travel dates all terms & conditions of future holidays stand so if your holiday is further down the line to travel for example June/July and so on and your balance is due to be paid we have to stick to the payment dates but should your holiday become affected then the choices TUI give as advised above was to move your holiday back to 2020 or 2021 or they gave an option to have it as full future credit giving flexibility then altogether. So at this moment your date is not classed as a affected so if you choose to not pay your balance on the dates due your holiday will be cancelled at loss of deposits & fees, we would need to access your file to confirm these charges I cannot access the file until we have office access tomorrow. However if you felt more comfortable to look at pushing the dates back into 2021 to take the concern away we can look at this for you.

Both ourselves and TUI are bonded with IATA & registered with CAR I know with this crisis everyone is panicking but thankfully if booked any monies paid are safe. Up to now we've had no cancellations with everything being managed correctly for the protection of our clients we have pushed back where necessary"

what do ya think?

Surely if they cannot provide what you booked, a full refund should be an available option.
    Also funny how their August pricing has increased.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Surely if they cannot provide what you booked, a full refund should be an available option.
    Also funny how their August pricing has increased.

I would’ve though so. They seem to be going down the road of offering credit.
    What annoys me is they are saying I have to pay remainder by Friday or it’s deemed that I’ve cancelled and hence I forfeit my deposit +”fees” whatever that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Haven't gotten any response from them which is no surprise. It's in their best interest to reschedule people rather than refund. A huge number of refunds could put them at risk.

I rang my bank today, had a good chat and am sending them all the information needed to start the chargeback process tomorrow. Will let you know when I have an update.

• Advertisement

First time booking with a travel company in years and due to pay almost 4K on the 5th. Have emailed them, but no response yet. Same boat, don't want to have to pay that money to avoid cancelling and forfeiting a large chunk of whats already paid, only to have them refuse to refund when it isnt possible to travel at the end of June, which I think is virtually impossible.

so I'm being told the following:

option 1: don't pay the remaining 700 on Friday-lose 600 deposit already paid. Get the balance refunded but this could "take a while as its not priority"

option 2: pay the remaining 700 on Friday- if DFA cancel travel for my dates, tui will offer a later date when restrictions are lifted.

option 3: pay the remaining 700 on Friday- if later date doesn't suit, I can book for 2021, However if cost comes in more, ill have to pay difference, if its cheaper ill get a refund.

option 4: pay the remaining 700 on Friday- if DFA cancel travel for my dates, tui offer option 2 or option 3. If neither suit, ill be allowed cancel the entire holiday and get a full refund, (again not sure how long ill be waiting on the refund), minus an administration charge of 50pp, so in my case that'd be minus 200.

so in summary I'm choosing between option 1 and 4.
    option 1 will cost me 600, and id be waiting an unknown time for the balance of my refund but id save myself 700 by not handing over the balance.
    option 4 will cost me 700 this week but in the long run I should get everything back minus 200, but again not sure how long this will take to get the refund.
    what do you guys think?

so I'm being told the following:

option 1: don't pay the remaining 700 on Friday-lose 600 deposit already paid. Get the balance refunded but this could "take a while as its not priority"

option 2: pay the remaining 700 on Friday- if DFA cancel travel for my dates, tui will offer a later date when restrictions are lifted.

option 3: pay the remaining 700 on Friday- if later date doesn't suit, I can book for 2021, However if cost comes in more, ill have to pay difference, if its cheaper ill get a refund.

option 4: pay the remaining 700 on Friday- if DFA cancel travel for my dates, tui offer option 2 or option 3. If neither suit, ill be allowed cancel the entire holiday and get a full refund, (again not sure how long ill be waiting on the refund), minus an administration charge of 50pp, so in my case that'd be minus 200.

so in summary I'm choosing between option 1 and 4.
    option 1 will cost me 600, and id be waiting an unknown time for the balance of my refund but id save myself 700 by not handing over the balance.
    option 4 will cost me 700 this week but in the long run I should get everything back minus 200, but again not sure how long this will take to get the refund.
    what do you guys think?

This indicates that they are chancing their arms on a number of fronts, including trying to charge for admin fees to cancel.

https://dbei.gov.ie/en/News-And-Events/Department-News/2020/March/COVID-19-guidance-rights-termination-package-travel-contracts.html

Yeah, I'm sticking to my guns anyway. Here's part of the letter I have sent to my bank's chargeback unit:
    I have been in contact with TUI this week via phone and email to cancel the package holiday and request a refund back to my card, but they do not as of this time want to engage. I believe I am entitled to this refund based on guidance published by the Government of Ireland, Commission for Aviation Regulation (Ireland) and Citizen’s Information (Ireland). All supporting documentation is enclosed and detailed below.
    The key point I have raised with TUI is related to package holidays specifically, quoted from https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/travel/travel_plans_and_covid19.html :

“Package holidays due to start before 29 May – you are entitled to a full refund without paying a termination fee. Travel organisers can offer a refund by means of a credit note or vouchers but you do not have to accept this and can insist on getting a full refund.”

Timeline and details of contact with TUI:
    • Phone call on March 30th – I clearly explained the above, asked to cancel and requested a refund. Was told that they couldn’t as of this time as their legal department were seeking clarity on what the Irish Government and other parties had published. They did offer to change the dates of the holiday. While I appreciated this gesture, I said I was still looking for a cancellation and full refund.
    • Email on March 30th (enclosed) – I thought it best to explain the situation via email and attached the same documentation I enclose here. I have not received a response.
    • Phone call on April 1st – I asked for an update and if the legal department had clarity on the situation. They said they hadn’t yet and could not process a refund. I requested to speak to the legal department, but this was denied. I then asked the person if I could speak to their manager to escalate. I was told they could not forward the call, but I could email them, giving me the address, I used on the 30th. I explained I had already done that. The call ended without a resolution or clear next steps from TUI.

I feel I have communicated clearly and professionally with TUI but they will not progress the issue despite me providing supporting documentation. Having exhausted working directly with the company I am now seeking this chargeback option.

This indicates that they are chancing their arms on a number of fronts, including trying to charge for admin fees to cancel.

https://dbei.gov.ie/en/News-And-Events/Department-News/2020/March/COVID-19-guidance-rights-termination-package-travel-contracts.html

So am I better off paying the remaining €700 before Fridays deadline which opens up options 2-4 to me?
    I can then fight them for the admin charge when I pick option 4 on foot of the DFA cancelling travelling.
    Is there a set time limit they must get the refund to me by? I know we are in unprecedented times that could have a bearing on refund times, but still legislation is legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭mountai

Anyone paying out further monies to travel companies is a fool . Fight them through the Small Claims Court . Do you think Judges will come down on their side ?? . Cash will be the King after all this blows over .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

18/03/2020
    In our efforts to mitigate the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Commission has today published guidelines
    Search for available translations of the preceding link
    ••• to ensure EU passenger rights are applied in a coherent manner across the EU.
    National governments have introduced different measures, including travel restrictions and border controls. The purpose of these guidelines is to reassure passengers that their rights are protected.
    Commissioner for Transport Adina Vălean said: “In light of the mass cancellations and delays passengers and transport operators face due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Commission wants to provide legal certainty on how to apply EU passenger rights. In case of cancellations the transport provider must reimburse or re-route the passengers.

>>>>>>If passengers themselves decide to cancel their journeys, reimbursement of the ticket depends on its type, and companies may offer vouchers for subsequent use. <<<<<<<<

Today's guidelines will provide much-needed legal certainty on how to apply EU passenger rights in a coordinated manner across our Union. We continue to monitor the rapidly evolving situation, and, if need be, further steps will be taken.”
    This guidance will help passengers, the industry and national authorities in this unprecedented situation, with important passenger travel restrictions imposed by national governments and knock-on effects on transport services across the EU. By introducing clarity, the guidelines are also expected to help reduce costs for the transport sector, which is heavily affected by the outbreak. The guidelines cover the rights of passengers when travelling by air, rail, ship or bus/coach, maritime and inland waterways, as well as the corresponding obligations for carriers.
    If passengers face the cancellation of their journey, for example, they can choose between reimbursement of the ticket price or re-routing to reach their final destination at a later stage. At the same time, the guidelines clarify that the current circumstances are “extraordinary”, with the consequence that certain rights – such as compensation in case of flight cancellation less than two weeks from departure date – may not be invoked.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/news/2020-03-18-covid-19-guidance-eu-passenger-rights_en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

mountai wrote: »
    Anyone paying out further monies to travel companies is a fool . Fight them through the Small Claims Court . Do you think Judges will come down on their side ?? . Cash will be the King after all this blows over .

If your Trip is not canceled due Corona you have to pay up

mountai wrote: »

I’m thinking we might be better off keeping the 700 remainder we’ve to pay.
    Cancelling the holiday.
    Losing the 600 deposit.
    Waiting to get the 1900 back. We should get it back soon as we’d be in early to get refunds.
    IMO if the dfa cancel the summer travel season a lot of travel agents will go to the wall.
    Sure they’re bonded but how long will you be waiting for refunds then and governments will have enough debt on their hands without worrying about travel agent customers.

So that’s that then.
    Holiday cancelled.
    600 deposit lost.
    700 balance payment saved.
    1900 refund within 28days (allegedly).
    Fcuk this virus!!

So that’s that then.
    Holiday cancelled.
    600 deposit lost.
    700 balance payment saved.
    1900 refund within 28days (allegedly).
    Fcuk this virus!!

ouch

Overview of Customer Rights to Cancel a Package Due to COVID-19
    (26 Mar 2020)
    The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation have today issued guidance on the right of travellers to terminate package travel contracts due to the extraordinary circumstances resulting from COVID-19. This guidance is available here. Our summary of the guidance is as follows:

If (due to COVID-19) a customer cancels a package that is due to start before 29 May 2020 that customer is entitled to cancel the package and get a full refund of all payments made for the package. The customer cannot be charged a termination fee.
    The customer is entitled to a full refund of all payments made if the package includes a travel service (e.g. a flight or accommodation) or a tourist service (e.g. attendance at a sporting or cultural event), and that travel or tourist service is cancelled before 29 May 2020 (due to COVID-19). The customer cannot be charged a termination fee.
    The current 29 May 2020 date may change in the light of changing circumstances and evolving official health and travel advice.
    For packages that are due to start after 29 May 2020, the customer is entitled to cancel the package at any time before the start of that package but can be required to pay an appropriate termination fee. The contract may specify the fee to be paid. For details of how that termination fee is calculated refer to: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/si/80/made/en/print

That's one of the things I have printed and sent to my bank's chargeback unit. From reading that and the other document linked earlier it appears quite clear cut.

TUI is also licensed in Ireland by that Commission for Aviation Regulation.

Overview of Customer Rights to Cancel a Package Due to COVID-19
    (26 Mar 2020)
    The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation have today issued guidance on the right of travellers to terminate package travel contracts due to the extraordinary circumstances resulting from COVID-19. This guidance is available here. Our summary of the guidance is as follows:

If (due to COVID-19) a customer cancels a package that is due to start before 29 May 2020 that customer is entitled to cancel the package and get a full refund of all payments made for the package. The customer cannot be charged a termination fee.
    The customer is entitled to a full refund of all payments made if the package includes a travel service (e.g. a flight or accommodation) or a tourist service (e.g. attendance at a sporting or cultural event), and that travel or tourist service is cancelled before 29 May 2020 (due to COVID-19). The customer cannot be charged a termination fee.
    The current 29 May 2020 date may change in the light of changing circumstances and evolving official health and travel advice.
    For packages that are due to start after 29 May 2020, the customer is entitled to cancel the package at any time before the start of that package but can be required to pay an appropriate termination fee. The contract may specify the fee to be paid. For details of how that termination fee is calculated refer to: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/si/80/made/en/print

Fair enough. I just couldn't bring myself to paying the 700 which was due today to eventually get the whole lot refunded.
    This way I've 700 in my pocket now and 1900 in early for a refund.
    I know its not ideal but that's the decision we went with.
    Thanks for all the advice guys, genuinely appreciate it.

Response to my email from TUI.

Hi xxxxxxxx, you should of received an email to say that your balance is extended until the 17th of April to give you more flexibility.

We work with the DFA closely and follow their advice, currently our flights are cancelled up until April the 19th so this means our flights from the 20th of April onwards are still going ahead.

At the present time there is no June travel restrictions to Spain so this means that your flight is not cancelled this booking is still confirmed and we are preparing for this to go ahead.

Because of this if you decide to cancel you will be charged accordingly and the fee today would a loss of deposit which amounts to €600.

If you need anything else please let us know

Kind regards
    TUI E-Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Response to my email from TUI.

Hi xxxxxxxx, you should of received an email to say that your balance is extended until the 17th of April to give you more flexibility.

We work with the DFA closely and follow their advice, currently our flights are cancelled up until April the 19th so this means our flights from the 20th of April onwards are still going ahead.

At the present time there is no June travel restrictions to Spain so this means that your flight is not cancelled this booking is still confirmed and we are preparing for this to go ahead.

Because of this if you decide to cancel you will be charged accordingly and the fee today would a loss of deposit which amounts to €600.

If you need anything else please let us know

Kind regards
    TUI E-Team

I got a similar mail in relation to final payment due on 17th April. I am due to travel on June 10th. I won't be paying it and intend on holding out as long as I can.

There is the option to transfer to later this year or next year but at this stage I don't think I will be travelling this year and don't want to book next year yet - the full brochure is not out yet and the holidays have increased in price. I don't see anything going ahead for Spain / Ibiza in early June.

I would gladly take a credit note for the deposit instead but they are refusing it saying that my holiday is going ahead - so why are they offering free transfers - they are bluffing and know full well June's schedule is going to be affected also.

So I contacted my travel agent during the weekend after finding out TUI had extended the final balance payment date on Friday evening.
    My travel agent cancelled my cancellation, so I am still officially booked to go and I haven’t lost my deposit nor handed over my final balance payment.
    My new final balance payment date is may 8th (4weeks before travel) but I feel fairly confident DFA will have cancelled travel for June, thus allowing me to claim the full value of the holiday back.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Tom, but you must have missed this yesterday. Good that you have still a possibility of getting/using what you have paid already., but not sure what impact this will have if it is implemented.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/shane-ross-travel-vouchers-being-considered-as-refunds-for-cancelled-trips-992462.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Tom, but you must have missed this yesterday. Good that you have still a possibility of getting/using what you have paid already., but not sure what impact this will have if it is implemented.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/shane-ross-travel-vouchers-being-considered-as-refunds-for-cancelled-trips-992462.html

Balls, feel vouchers/credit notes are a risk to the customer. This could scupper my chargeback chances.

Jesus Christ will that man not just fcuk off!!
    Hopefully with the speed (usually) that the government work, the voucher measure will not be in before the DFA cancel June holidays.
    I’m not sure though....

Jesus Christ will that man not just fcuk off!!
    Hopefully with the speed (usually) that the government work, the voucher measure will not be in before the DFA cancel June holidays.
    I’m not sure though....

Somewhat similar to the reaction I had :-)

Unfortunatley, it looks like he may rush it through to give us one last kick on his way out the door.

So I contacted my travel agent during the weekend after finding out TUI had extended the final balance payment date on Friday evening.
    My travel agent cancelled my cancellation, so I am still officially booked to go and I haven’t lost my deposit nor handed over my final balance payment.
    My new final balance payment date is may 8th (4weeks before travel) but I feel fairly confident DFA will have cancelled travel for June, thus allowing me to claim the full value of the holiday back.

I got a mail last week to say my final payment was due on 17th April - this is 8 weeks before departure - have Tui changed their approach again? I would settle for a voucher as I do not want to book for next year yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It’s either this or we’ll have very few operators and airlines to choose from when this is all over.

We paid €800 for a school trip for our daughter but we wrote it off as soon as the virus hit.

I don’t expect to see a cent back tbh.

These are extraordinary times so normal rules no longer necessarily apply.

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    I got a mail last week to say my final payment was due on 17th April - this is 8 weeks before departure - have Tui changed their approach again? I would settle for a voucher as I do not want to book for next year yet.

I am due to go on the 13th June so they said the latest that tui collect the money is 4 weeks beforehand. So the travel agent will allow me to pay the remainder as late as that.

• Advertisement

It’s either this or we’ll have very few operators and airlines to choose from when this is all over.

We paid €800 for a school trip for our daughter but we wrote it off as soon as the virus hit.

I understand it’s extraordinary times however if this law gets passed and we are offered vouchers or credit instead of cash, what happens if this virus re-emerges next year, which it will if there’s no vaccine?
    Do we keep getting credit or vouchers?
    In other words will we just write off our money now. I for one would not be happy with that.
    Also we’ve signed a contract. What would happen if the shoe was on the other foot and I couldn’t supply my part of the bargain? Would Shane be bailing me out?

But in this case, the operator is expecting people to fully pay for a holiday they know they will not be able to provide. If the customer does not pay the remaining amount, the operator is regarding that as a cancellation and keeping the deposit. If the customer pays the remainder, they do not get their holiday. What they get is an option to rebook at a higher cost at some time in the future, or a voucher to use for future bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I understand it’s extraordinary times however if this law gets passed and we are offered vouchers or credit instead of cash, what happens if this virus re-emerges next year, which it will if there’s no vaccine?
    Do we keep getting credit or vouchers?

Probably. Who knows ?
    In other words will we just write off our money now. I for one would not be happy with that.

So keep fighting and best of luck with it.
    But in this case, the operator is expecting people to fully pay for a holiday they know they will not be able to provide. If the customer does not pay the remaining amount, the operator is regarding that as a cancellation and keeping the deposit. If the customer pays the remainder, they do not get their holiday. What they get is an option to rebook at a higher cost at some time in the future, or a voucher to use for future bookings.

Yep. It's a tough call. We decided it was best just to write it off given the circumstances and if we get something back all the better. I certainly wouldn't be handing any more cash over but you have to figure out what's best for you.

Unfortunately though, so do the airlines and tour operators.

I'm not saying I agree with any of this.

It just is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fiatx19

We decided to cancel our holiday with tui on the 28th of March. We had paid the full amount of €2,100 for travel at the end of May.

We knew about losing our deposit so we were happy to get about €1500 back. At the time of cancellation it said allow 5 days for the refund. When we had cancelled the holiday we got an email to say your refund should be processed within the next four weeks!

Myself and my daughter have asthma and we decided not to chance travel at all this year. We cancelled because we thought we'd get the €1500 back within a week but we still haven't received it.

I'll post on here when we do receive it. We booked online and cancelled online so I don't see why the refund can't be processed as fast as the payments to tui were?

Fiatx19 wrote: »
    We decided to cancel our holiday with tui on the 28th of March. We had paid the full amount of €2,100 for travel at the end of May.

We knew about losing our deposit so we were happy to get about €1500 back. At the time of cancellation it said allow 5 days for the refund. When we had cancelled the holiday we got an email to say your refund should be processed within the next four weeks!

Myself and my daughter have asthma and we decided not to chance travel at all this year. We cancelled because we thought we'd get the €1500 back within a week but we still haven't received it.

I'll post on here when we do receive it. We booked online and cancelled online so I don't see why the refund can't be processed as fast as the payments to tui were?

We were told we could be waiting up to 28 days at least for a refund.
    That was from a 3rd party travel agent who booked via tui.
    I hope Ross doesn’t get his way and allow the travel agents payout in credit or vouchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭raxy

I hope Ross doesn’t get his way and allow the travel agents payout in credit or vouchers.

He's cerainly gunning for the most hated politician in Ireland. Discraceful that he's even considering it. But to be fair to TUI etc there has to be some leeway with refunds considering the scale of things, It's better to delay refunds & keep afloat then have to refund immediately & go under. More people would loose out then.
    We had our balance to pay on the day the DFA gave the guidance of non essential travel only to Spain. Didn't pay because of that but they looked for it on the 24th March & gave me 2 days to decide.
    On the 26th we re-booked our holiday for next year as we weren't willing to pay the balance on the hope of gettng a refund when it got cancelled. We were only given the option of pay or defer.
    I'm annoyed with them though as when they gave me the option they said if I defer the balance would not be due to be paid until 10 weeks before travel. The e-mail confirmation is looking for €400 in October this year which is not what they told me. It's also more of a downpayment than the holiday we booked for this year despite it being €1000 cheaper.

• Advertisement

A credit voucher for the full amount if tui have to cancel your holiday is one thing. But when the customer cancels and takes a hit by losing the deposit that's another thing.

It's money for nothing for tui and I certainly wouldn't be happy with a credit voucher for the balance ðŸ§

A credit voucher for the full amount if tui have to cancel your holiday is one thing. But when the customer cancels and takes a hit by losing the deposit that's another thing.

It's money for nothing for tui and I certainly wouldn't be happy with a credit voucher for the balance ðŸ§

absolutely.
    Plus you have to think of the worst, if the virus stays here for another while and then reappears in a second wave next year, theres a high chance of travel agents including TUI going bust.
    Yeah sure they are licenced and bonded but we all remember homebond and how some people were let down with getting payments back off them .
    No thanks id rather my money back TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

We’re due to go July 1 and have fully paid. Anything after June 29 they are saying is going ahead as normal. I could just cancel by next week and get my refund minus the deposit or hold off and hope to get a full refund if it’s cancelled. Thinking of just cancelling now and swallowing the €600 loss..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Our sons trip was cancelled but we are able to claim through insurance for 90% refund

maggz wrote: »
    We’re due to go July 1 and have fully paid. Anything after June 29 they are saying is going ahead as normal. I could just cancel by next week and get my refund minus the deposit or hold off and hope to get a full refund if it’s cancelled. Thinking of just cancelling now and swallowing the €600 loss..

strange. we are being told that nothing after may 14th has been cancelled yet.
    They have pushed out our final payment date though until fri 8th may.

• Advertisement

Hi maggz, Did they say to you that anything prior to June 29th is not going ahead, or where did you see this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Hi maggz, Did they say to you that anything prior to June 29th is not going ahead, or where did you see this?

They’re offering free change on anything prior to June 29

https://www.tuiholidays.ie/f/info/coronavirus

They’re offering free change on anything prior to June 29

https://www.tuiholidays.ie/f/info/coronavirus

Ah, I thought you meant that you had a confirmation from somewhere that all holidays before June 29th had been cancelled from their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Section 18A(4) of the Package Holidays and Travel Trade Act 1995 gives travellers the right to terminate package travel contracts before the start of the package in the event of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances occurring at the place of destination of the package or its immediate vicinity that significantly affect the performance of the package or the carriage of passengers to the package destination. Where package travel contracts are terminated in accordance with this right, travellers are not required to pay any fee for the termination of the contract and are entitled to a full refund of all payments made for the package not later than 14 days after the contract is terminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Any further update from TUI and when they plan to restart their holidays? Will they push out their cancellation period from mid May?

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Any further update from TUI and when they plan to restart their holidays? Will they push out their cancellation period from mid May?

I presume it will all depend on what the DFA (Department of foreign Affairs) tells them they can do?

We thought the same and cancelled, but 3 weeks later we still hadn't got the refund. We rang them to complain and they offered to rebook for later in the year. I honestly don't think they're issuing refunds whether you cancel and lose €600 or they cancel because of the virus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We thought the same and cancelled, but 3 weeks later we still hadn't got the refund. We rang them to complain and they offered to rebook for later in the year. I honestly don't think they're issuing refunds whether you cancel and lose €600 or they cancel because of the virus...

You made a mistake of cancelling. Never cancel always let the travel company cancel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

robie5 wrote: »
    Our sons trip was cancelled but we are able to claim through insurance for 90% refund

TUI would be bonded in Ireland therefore they must ssue a full refund no need for insurance.

https://www.ccpc.ie/business/help-for-business/guidelines-for-business/travel/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement