Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon or google.

Options
  • 31-03-2020 8:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum. Maybe not

My 6 year old is forever asking me questions

what number is after a trillion?
    where do clouds come from?
    where was sonic the hedgehog born?
    how tall is godzilla etc etc

is the amazon echo dot somewhat capable of answering these type questions or does it only do very specific things like tell you the weather etc

I always thought the amazon echo dot was the default choice.......
    But then was told about the google equivalents. (1. Nest Mini (2nd Gen) 2. Google home mini)

For my basic situation, which device would be best? Any help welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Both will do exactly this.
    Alexa has dedicated 'skills' for kids to ask these type of questions.

Either will do, so I would consider what other devices/smart tech in the house you have or will have in the near future and go with whatever will link the best.

Alexa Kids skills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Davy wrote: »

Either will do, so I would consider what other devices/smart tech in the house you have or will have in the near future and go with whatever will link the best.

Alexa Kids skills

Hi

Not a tech savvy house and just looking to get this. Don’t want it for controlling heat and lights etc.

just for kids to play with. Especially in these times.

From what I’ve heard google can answer random questions better than Alexa, comments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Google uses Google to get answers and Alexa users Bing so that's probably the biggest difference.

Personally i went for google as I only use android so wasn't worried about external compatibility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I find Google is better at interpreting speech. My kids ask them questions all the time.

No need to add any Skills to Google either, it just works out of the box.

JDxtra wrote: »
    I find Google is better at interpreting speech. My kids ask them questions all the time.

No need to add any Skills to Google either, it just works out of the box.

Thank you.

whats the difference between

1. Nest Mini (2nd Gen)
    2. Google home mini

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thank you.

1. Nest Mini (2nd Gen)
    2. Google home mini

We are a Google house hold - kids love it.

Comparison below but for what you want, I'd go for the €29 with free shipping from the google store for the original one (the change of name is just a rebranding exercise).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/home/google-nest-mini-vs-google-home-mini/%3famp

Deal here

https://store.google.com/ie/product/google_nest_mini?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi5XVssbF6AIVQ7TtCh1FsgsdEAAYASAAEgKaSfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Thank you.

1. Nest Mini (2nd Gen)
    2. Google home mini

The speaker is meant to be better on the Nest Mini. I don't know, I only have the Nest mini and not the 1st gen. The speaker is good though. It's cheap too. On Google store the Nest Mini is €29 delivered.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/google_nest_mini

I asked my Nest Mini your questions above. The clouds one didn't have a good answer. After a couple of goes it got there.
    All the rest were fine. Sonic is from Nebraska apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm on Google... All the stuff going aroiund Amazons privacy issues and how they share your information with police, data miners, commercial entities... I decided to get rid of it.

While I know that Google also share your data, they just seem more upfront & honest about it.

Plus my ecosystem works pretty flawlessly on Google. I have a set of 7 MusicFlow speakers with a soundbar that work on the Google system...

in regard to the google nest or mini - do they always have to be plugged in or do they work off the battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I've had both. At first I had Alexa but have since replaced with 3x Google homes as they are better. Better voice recognition, better at answering general questions and now have better integration (didn't always)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Col240483

in regard to the google nest or mini - do they always have to be plugged in or do they work off the battery?

Plugged in

Col240483 wrote: »
    Plugged in

thanks, does echo dot have to be plugged in also?

thanks, does echo dot have to be plugged in also?

Yes. None work from batteries.

Comparison below but for what you want, I'd go for the €29 with free shipping from the google store for the original one (the change of name is just a rebranding exercise).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/home/google-nest-mini-vs-google-home-mini/%3famp

Deal here

https://store.google.com/ie/product/google_nest_mini?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi5XVssbF6AIVQ7TtCh1FsgsdEAAYASAAEgKaSfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Which is the original one? nest or mini?

Which is the original one? nest or mini?

Google Mini....they rebranded to Nest for all their smart home and smart automation stuff after buying the company.

Google Mini....they rebranded to Nest for all their smart home and smart automation stuff after buying the company.

Right. The device you linked is for the Nest though

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

The Google Home Mini was the 1st Gen, Google Nest Mini was 2nd Gen. The Nest Mini has a significantly better speaker and an extra microphone for better listening. Otherwise they work the same way.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Deal here

Haha, thanks a mill for the link just bought one. No idea why tho lol

I am leaning towards the goggle nest mini

our house has 2 x iPhone's and an iPad, does this really matter?
    as I said, not looking for any funky setups, just mainly for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

From the bargains forum...
    Aristotle wrote: »
    Currys UK are currently doing buy one get one free for 2nd gen Nest Minis at £29 with code GOOGLE241. Just ordered two there for delivery with Parcel Motel.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/voice-control-assistants/google-nest-mini-2nd-gen-charcoal-10200089-pdt.html

At that price you can't go wrong, I just ordered the 4th and 5th ones for our house :p

• Advertisement

I am leaning towards the goggle nest mini

our house has 2 x iPhone's and an iPad, does this really matter?
    as I said, not looking for any funky setups, just mainly for the kids

any comments on this?

about to pull the trigger and just making sure

any comments on this?

about to pull the trigger and just making sure

It shouldn't as the Google home app where you set things up etc is on both IOS and Android.

It shouldn't as the Google home app where you set things up etc is on both IOS and Android.

Thanks. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

2nd gen are €29 on the official Google store as well

https://store.google.com/ie/config/google_nest_mini

No need for parcel motel etc

2nd gen are €29 on the official Google store as well

https://store.google.com/ie/config/google_nest_mini

No need for parcel motel etc

just ordered google nest mini
    is this shipped from a warehouse in Ireland or will it come from over seas? anyone know

does rte radio 1 work with google nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

Davy wrote: »

Alexa Kids skills

I bought an Echo for my brother who is completely un-tech-savvy in hopes that it could be a mine of information for him.
    Unfortunately it doesn't know simple things like for instance Irish bus or train timetables - something which I imagine Google would handle with ease (don't know for sure).
    'Skills' are a clunky idea, to my mind...

MenloPete wrote: »
    I bought an Echo for my brother who is completely un-tech-savvy in hopes that it could be a mine of information for him.
    Unfortunately it doesn't know simple things like for instance Irish bus or train timetables - something which I imagine Google would handle with ease (don't know for sure).
    'Skills' are a clunky idea, to my mind...

yeah, one of the things that swung the nest for me was this post:

"I find Google is better at interpreting speech. My kids ask them questions all the time.
    No need to add any Skills to Google either, it just works out of the box."

does rte radio 1 work with google nest?

Just say "Hey Google, play RTE Radio 1". That's it. No skills, no mentioning TuneIn etc - it just works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

yeah, one of the things that swung the nest for me was this post:

"I find Google is better at interpreting speech. My kids ask them questions all the time.
    No need to add any Skills to Google either, it just works out of the box."

Have to say i went from Alexa to google back to Alexa. Google was great at answering questions off the bat, but i was using it for home automation too and the routines were brutual plus it seem to stop listening. Didnt like the google home app. Plus it badly failed the wife test as it never seemed to here her asking to turn the lights on. We've a Lenovo smart clock in the 7 year olds rooom with Google Assistant but he specifically asked for that.

for all the times i need to ask google a question my phone will pick it up anyway and again i couldnt stop the phone answering ahead of the nest. despite following all instructions. And its the usual android kind of approach - with too much of a work around if something doesnt work first time around.

Advertisement