Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird noise from bike

Options
  • 31-03-2020 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Just noticed a weird noise from my bike when the key is turned on but the bike not started. I normally wear earplugs on the bike so I've potentially missed how long it's been happening. I'm clueless with engines but it's a box above the regulator/rectifier heat fan thingy.... or maybe not...

But could someone shed light on what it might be? Initially I thought some animal might have curled up in my engine block :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Is it a gsx750?
    At a guess I'd say there's a servo which actuates an exhaust valve after stripping it's plastic gears or something wrong with an abs unit which might live there.
    Is there any error codes or dash light warnings flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

H_Lime wrote: »
    Is it a gsx750?
    At a guess I'd say there's a servo which actuates an exhaust valve after stripping it's plastic gears or something wrong with an abs unit which might live there.
    Is there any error codes or dash light warnings flashing?

Yeah gsr,750

I get a very occasional fault indicator before starting. Like maybe once a couple of months. My mechanic doesn't have the doohickey to read faults and it's never run poorly so I've never really been bothered to find out the problem but that would potentially explain it.

I took it for a quick ride and the noise went away.

More importantly I guess is this something I need to fix asap/safety issue or it can wait whilst this pandemic runs it's course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

What's the fault code, on Suzukis of old you would count the flashes or connect a connector and read a code off the dash. Gotta be stripped exhaust valve servo motor cogs. They're usually plastic and sometimes the valve clogs with deposits and cannot turn easily dn the cogs strip.
    There's workarounds with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

H_Lime wrote: »
    What's the fault code, on Suzukis of old you would count the flashes or connect a connector and read a code off the dash. Gotta be stripped exhaust valve servo motor cogs. They're usually plastic and sometimes the valve clogs with deposits and cannot turn easily dn the cogs strip.
    There's workarounds with it.

Never bothered to get it read..... It's just the FI light lights up when I turn the key to on and like I said literally once 2-3 months. Then I can turn the bike off and back on and it's usually gone. It's never come on during a ride and the bike has always ran the same so I've not been bothered with it.

I'm not reliant on the bike and technically it's due a service but I'm not sure if that's considered something essential to get done at the moment although I know my mechanic is open.

Advertisement