Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-01-2020, 19:53   #1
colmtowey

Scalp treatment

Hi All,

Apologies if this is the wrong section but it is the closest I could find to what I wish to ask.

For years I have suffered with Scalp issues. I have tried all sorts of cures but continue to have the problem.

My main issue is a flaky scalp. It does not tend to be itchy at all and I have being to a Trichologist who has given me cream to put in my hair. It has helped a bit but has not resolved the issue. I have also tried Apple Cider vinegar which also helps so much but does not fix the issue.

On the advise of the Trichologist I have given up Diary products also. I have tried different Shampoo's and Conditioners over the years also. I have also started taking more Oil into my diet.

Can anyone advise on what has worked for them and I don't care how unique the solution is.

Regards

Colm
Advertisement
23-01-2020, 20:04   #2
Stanford

Sounds like you may be suffering from seborrheic dermatitis, a skin infection caused by a fungus which can be very itchy, its usually accompanies by a rash on the forehead and the sternal area of the chest, do you have these other symptoms?
23-01-2020, 20:08   #3
Wesser

when you say you have tried various cures. have you seen an actual gp or dermatologist. might be seb derm as mentioned above. nizoral shampoo might help. cutting out dairy sounds a bit like quakery.
23-01-2020, 20:09   #4
Stanford

Nizoral or Capasal might help and are available OTC, best show it to your GP as suggested
23-01-2020, 20:11   #5
khalessi

I use capasal every two days and occasionally cocois ointment has cleared up my scalp psoriasis amazingly
Advertisement
23-01-2020, 20:18   #6
colmtowey

Yeah I think it is what you advised (seborrheic dermatitis). I have being to a Tricologist which is a scalp expert. I have tried Nizoral also. I am considering getting a blood test to see if that can show up any reason for it.

I have only being taking the Oil for about 2 month's and was told it can take a bit longer to see the improvements so hoping that helps. I will probably try Coconut oil also. My sister is a barber so has also suggested options.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Regards

Colm
26-01-2020, 12:13   #7
Breezer

A scalp expert is called a dermatologist. A GP is also likely to be able to help you with most scalp issues.

Regardless of your views on complementary therapy, it appears your trichologist has not resolved your issue, to the point where you are now looking for healthcare advice from strangers on the internet. This is not generally a good idea.

I would advise you see a GP.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion