Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I tripped and fell this morning on my run and have a big bruise on my left upper leg. My right shoulder is still sore too.
    Now no matter which side I lie on I am uncomfortable.

So tired working long hours this week and now gonna be in the weekend. Thankfully deadline is Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

selous wrote: »
    When pundits pluralise players names as in "The Paul O'Connells, the David Beckhams" etc why?

That bugs me too. There's only one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

People calling their children “Smallies”....grinds my gears irrationally....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

jojofizzio wrote: »
    People calling their children “Smallies”....grinds my gears irrationally....

I do this...oops :)

Like I say...it’s irrational,dunno why it annoys me so much??
    (I bear you no ill-will:) )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

jojofizzio wrote: »
    NO BIGGIE. Like I say...it’s irrational,dunno why it annoys me so much??
    (I bear you no ill-will:) )

FYP. :D

New Home wrote: »
    FYP. :D

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Articles like this one
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-irelands-favourite-prayer-has-landslide-victory-at-ploughing-championships-38515553.html

Just when Ireland looks like a modern, progressive country, they drag us back with nonsense like this.

I know if I had been 'at the ploughing' and someone had asked me "what's your favourite prayer" I'd have told them to feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

NIMAN wrote: »
    Articles like this one
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-irelands-favourite-prayer-has-landslide-victory-at-ploughing-championships-38515553.html

Just when Ireland looks like a modern, progressive country, they drag us back with nonsense like this.

I know if I had been 'at the ploughing' and someone had asked me "what's your favourite prayer" I'd have told them to feck off.
    Maybe Omakeral can run a tournament in AH on poster's favourite prayer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

TA at the anti-smoking generalisations going on here!

Believe it or not, not every smoker is a selfish, disgusting creature. I often carry around cigarette ends in my jeans pockets when there isn't an ashtray available. I never throw cigarette ends out of my car window. I would never be so thoughtless as to stand in a doorway to a public building and smoke.

Obviously, some smokers do. But why tar us all with the same brush (pun intended)?

I wouldn't tar every smoker with the same brush at all, but there are certain scenarios when the habit stands out as gross.

Earlier, I was in a waiting room in one of the suites in St.Vincent's and two sisters sat down beside me after been out for a fag, and in that confined space, the smell was vile. The irony is, they were waiting on word from their mother who was in getting a mammogram-I wonder is she a smoker too!

One of them then had to show the other a video of some fella cursing, and of course didn't have the decorum to turn the volume down a notch. A lad ****ing and ****ing out of him echoing across the entire room. They could be described as "howiyas" though so maybe their lack of manners was understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just saw a vaper blow a lungfull of smoke directly into the face of a little boy going to school. Probably not done intentionally but completely oblivious to how disgusting it is and smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Hate complaining about colloquialisms and expressions as there's bound to be at least one lovely person I know who says the particular phrase but flipping hell I hate when people say "whilst".

Also "I turned around and I..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just saw a vaper blow a lungfull of smoke directly into the face of a little boy going to school. Probably not done intentionally but completely oblivious to how disgusting it is and smells.

I saw a father sneeze directly in to his child's face outside Stillorgan Shopping Centre the other day. The child, about 6 years old actually wiped her face with her hand after. How disgusting and selfish some parents are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I wouldn't tar every smoker with the same brush at all, but there are certain scenarios when the habit stands out as gross.

Earlier, I was in a waiting room in one of the suites in St.Vincent's and two sisters sat down beside me after been out for a fag, and in that confined space, the smell was vile. The irony is, they were waiting on word from their mother who was in getting a mammogram-I wonder is she a smoker too!

One of them then had to show the other a video of some fella cursing, and of course didn't have the decorum to turn the volume down a notch. A lad ****ing and ****ing out of him echoing across the entire room. They could be described as "howiyas" though so maybe their lack of manners was understandable.

Smokers tend not to notice our own stench. I once gave up for a couple of months and was totally amazed by how strong and disgusting the smell of cigarette smoke was on people who had recently smoked.

As for these two creatures you had the misfortune to share a confined space with, I strongly suspect they would be just as vile whether they smoked or not (although admittedly they may have smelled sweeter ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Laughing at anyone dying speaks volumes of your moral character. Obviously you didn't have a strong upbringing. But being an adult, you should know right from wrong and a general compassionate compass. I've no respect for you based on that. You should be ashamed of yourself but I've a feeling your not which makes all more tragic.

LOL.....do you hear that sound? That's the sound of me crying...boo hoo hoo...and laughing at your post....:P

Have a fag and calm down lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Have a fag and calm down lads

All the arguing in the TA thread is a TA unto itself.

Smokers tend not to notice our own stench. I once gave up for a couple of months and was totally amazed by how strong and disgusting the smell of cigarette smoke was on people who had recently smoked.

As for these two creatures you had the misfortune to share a confined space with, I strongly suspect they would be just as vile whether they smoked or not (although admittedly they may have smelled sweeter ;))

It's like smokers who chew on mints after a fag. Newsflash....it makes no difference and just makes you smell cheap and nasty. Who are they kidding....that's a TA.

I'm looking at my mother in law. No shame about smoking, leaving fag butts in our garden bin.

Depressingly, she has had a cancerous growth removed already, has an aortic aneurysm which could burst any day (when and if it does she is dead before she hits the floor) but does she give up smoking? Does she care about her loyal husband, children and grandchildren? Like **** she does as long as she gets her 'stinky sticks' (g/children's name for it) and not to mention the burden on the health service.

Selfish despicable women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

2 German prycks deciding to sit at my table where I am having a beer. There are other tables free I noticed a few minutes later but no they wanted mine.
    They have a drink and ask to pay and then wonder why they were charged for mine as well. The waiter had to go in and change the bill. If they'd asked me I would have paid for my own drink in the same transaction.
    Also what is the deal with that anyway. If I see no free tables I'll just go to the next bar. I never ask to sit with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ya must be dizzy at this stage !

Ta is no ash trays in cars.
    People give out about throwing butts on the ground but on ash trays in vehicles

Also people who say veh-ee-kills for vehicles

cjmc wrote: »
    Ta is no ash trays in cars.
    People give out about throwing butts on the ground but on ash trays in vehicles

I hate using the ashtray in my car. On long drives, I wedge a half fell bottle of water into the cup holder and use that to put out the cigarette. Then empty the bottle at the soonest possible chance. God, it looks horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

We got a badass on the thread....so so bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Ppl leaving me snippy messages now, when Ive been trying to cement a meeting dates since early summer.
    To avoid this exact senerio, I sent a message three weeks ago in case the request had gotten lost in the mix.

Another ta, got the run around at a semi state, finally got the right person, who ignored my request for over a week but TA-DA manged to find the info in 30 minutes after being remineded of it yesterday. All she had to do was to input some numbers and sign it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

I know the smoking posts are probably annoying everyone at this stage, but just one more gripe:

I buy a pack of 29 cigarettes every day (a pack of 20 just isn't enough). The pack costs me €15.50 and of this, the government receive €12.245 apparently (79%).

I've bought a hell of a lot of cigarettes over the past 40 years, and have therefore contributed an absolute fortune to the government coffers. This is on top of the PAYE I've paid all my working life (I've never been unemployed apart from a two month spell when I first came to live in Ireland 30 years ago).

So when non-smokers moan about the amount of health costs caused by smoking, they should sit back in their sweet-smelling cocoon of smugness and consider that as smokers have paid far, far much more additional tax, we have actually paid much more for our health care than they have done!

Also, we tend to die a lot sooner, so aren't as much of a drain on health budgets and resources as clean living, health conscious people.

So when non-smokers moan about the amount of health costs caused by smoking, they should sit back in their sweet-smelling cocoon of smugness and consider that as smokers have paid far, far much more additional tax, we have actually paid much more for our health care than they have done!

Also, we tend to die a lot sooner, so aren't as much of a drain on health budgets and resources as clean living, health conscious people.

Oh well that's alright then. Don't suppose you have any figures to back up the notion that tax income from smokers exceeds the healthcare costs?

Surprised the Gov does not encourage more people to take up smoking in that case.

You are forgetting that treating smoke related illnesses diverts resources (not just money) and manpower away from research and finding cures for say, cancer, motor neuron disease etc etc.

But anyway we should move on...we both have our positions that will not change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Vodafone called me yesterday with a great new offer on my pay as you go deal.

Eh- I am with 3 mobile this past 2 months, no longer with Vodafone, and my phone bills get paid by my employer.

It would be a good sales person to get me to switch from there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement