Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death Stranding

Comments

Penn wrote: »
    Alright so I ploughed on through the rest of Chapter 3, 4 was short, and made my way to Mountain Knot City in Chapter 5. Found out where I had to go and what I had to do next.

Urrgghhhh.... Trekked across the mountain and made it to the Weather station before giving up for the night. Not looking forward to that return journey whichever route I go.

I wouldn't mind but I was lugging a couple of PCCs with me the whole way so I could set up ziplines, but can't use them as not connected to the Chiral network, and the range on them is pretty sh*tty anyway.
    Once you extend the network more players zip lines will appear in your game, making it easier to set up a network. I'm trying to level up all the outposts now and I don't go anywhere without four pcc's! Range is 300m which is an absolute godsend up in the mountains where even short distances take ages to trudge over. My zip lines with other players extend from mountain knot City all over and around the mountains up to the first pepper and down the other side to the mule camp on the east of the mountain and bypassing several BT areas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I ignored ziplines for the majority of 5 & 6 before realising how ****ing handy they were. It's easy to not know where to place them until you've circled the mountains but there are a lot of handy spots. 1 in particular West of mountain Knot City where well placed zips can take you right over a tough BT area.

In one of the later chapters, i had to make a trek back through a mountain region and seeing a zipline was like seeing a mirage in the desert, couldn't believe my luck! Got there and hammered the touch pad to give likes bit it wouldn't work. Then i saw it was actually my zipline. After giving myself all kinds of praise, i zipped over treacherous part only to find i put down the other one as well. Was so proud of myself :pac:

Like above, i started always bringing pcc 2's with me and throwing them down along paths. Some might never be used but you'll be glad you did when you need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I ignored ziplines for the majority of 5 & 6 before realising how ****ing handy they were. It's easy to not know where to place them until you've circled the mountains but there are a lot of handy spots. 1 in particular West of mountain Knot City where well placed zips can take you right over a tough BT area.

In one of the later chapters, i had to make a trek back through a mountain region and seeing a zipline was like seeing a mirage in the desert, couldn't believe my luck! Got there and hammered the touch pad to give likes bit it wouldn't work. Then i saw it was actually my zipline. After giving myself all kinds of praise, i zipped over treacherous part only to find i put down the other one as well. Was so proud of myself :pac:

Like above, i started always bringing pcc 2's with me and throwing them down along paths. Some might never be used but you'll be glad you did when you need them.

Yeah it was just the fact that for story reasons I wasn't allowed to put them down (as I was saving them for when I got to Mountain Knot City itself), which means now I have none set down for that area myself. Will hopefully spot a few laid down by others that might get me close enough.

Yeah it was just the fact that for story reasons I wasn't allowed to put them down (as I was saving them for when I got to Mountain Knot City itself), which means now I have none set down for that area myself. Will hopefully spot a few laid down by others that might get me close enough.

Aw yeah, that first trek around the mountain can be a slog, makes it all the better when you get it on the network. You'll be circling it a few times before chapter 6 is over anyway so plenty of time to throw some down. I know some people weren't too happy with the mountain sections but i really liked them, especially when you unlock the skeleton
    all terain
    . Equip that straight away when you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Zero-Cool wrote: »

In one of the later chapters, i had to make a trek back through a mountain region and seeing a zipline was like seeing a mirage in the desert, couldn't believe my luck!

Two parts in particular.
    The Mountaineers wife mission
    and
    the Ruined city without BB
    I realized how useful they and like you say, one in the distance was like hope in physical form. I built a couple in time fall areas, I wonder how long they will last there or if anyone will bother repairing them.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Two parts in particular.
    The Mountaineers wife mission
    and
    the Ruined city without BB
    I realized how useful they and like you say, one in the distance was like hope in physical form. I built a couple in time fall areas, I wonder how long they will last there or if anyone will bother repairing them.
    They last a good while and people do contribute to repairs. When I started playing last night there was a massive list of people's names scrolling on the screen with likes for roads and zip lines I made and people adding materials to maintain them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭klose

Finished chapter 14 and presumably the game last night so is chapter 15 effectively an end game free roam now?

Will post thoughts later, loved it any case if not a few minor things that are trivial. Probably what annoys me most is getting on ladders that cross rivers and gorges etc. Half the time Sam ignores them and just falls in!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

klose wrote: »
    Finished chapter 14 and presumably the game last night so is chapter 15 effectively an end game free roam now?

Yep, Chapter 15 is just free roam. Its back before the end of the game though to allow you to finish trophy collection, etc

Finished Chapter 5 last night. Return trip to Mountain Knot City wasn't too bad, made it most of the way over the mountain on a trike someone left at the Weather Station.

Man, the story is absolute pants though. Some good ideas in it, but it's about as subtle as the B in Brick. I know there's going to be some good twists coming because Kojima, but my god... some of the writing...

Except for anything to do with Troy Baker. Stealing the show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,837 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a Kojima game. Expect great ideas with terrible execution.

I dunno, I'm finding the story to be very engrossing. Incidentally, I found the Cos-players bunker but it didn't active when I went up to it. Anyone know why that would be?

I dunno, I'm finding the story to be very engrossing. Incidentally, I found the Cos-players bunker but it didn't active when I went up to it. Anyone know why that would be?

Same here. I could activate the terminal but only use the Private Locker. I'm guessing you need to actually make a requested cargo delivery to activate it rather than just walk in.

The story really kicks in in chapter 7 and doesn't stop till the end, also gets much much better as more is explained. It was at that point i completely ignored all side stuff as i wanted to focus on the story.

As for the cosplayer, i remember getting an order from a different facility to bring something to her. Well worth doing but sorry, can't remember where i got the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The key characters in each location only activate after you have at least one delivery for them. So scan around the area and you should find some lost cargo to start things going, from then it remains fully functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

You get a delivery of comic books from distro centre just above him/her/them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    The key characters in each location only activate after you have at least one delivery for them. So scan around the area and you should find some lost cargo to start things going, from then it remains fully functional.

I came on this thread to literally ask this. You read my mind. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is it bad that I am sitting in work listening to the soundtrack and legit feeling like I am still out there delivering cargo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Is it bad that I am sitting in work listening to the soundtrack and legit feeling like I am still out there delivering cargo?

I can't wait for stupid work to end so I can get back home to deliver some cargo:D

Listen, when it was lashing rain recently I was heading to work in the dark after playing for hours the night before. I swear I was waiting for the BT alarm to go off as a drudged towards the bus in a daze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Rob2D wrote: »
    I can't wait for stupid work to end so I can get back home to deliver some cargo:D

You and me both .. Can you turn the music on for when your wandering about? .. Usually I get Alexa to put the soundtrack on and off but be nice to just have it in game while walking about

• Advertisement

Listen, when it was lashing rain recently I was heading to work in the dark after playing for hours the night before. I swear I was waiting for the BT alarm to go off as a drudged towards the bus in a daze.

...Pulls out can of deodorant, casually sprays over shoulder onto backpack...

Me whenever I see vehicles abandoned on my newly printed road.

1fa2922859e5cde130fff8fa81a859c1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I ignored all the bad stuff said about this game just before was released so glad I did!

Just finished it there such an amazing story really enjoyed playing and taking it all in bit by bit.

Kojima is something else for emotional throwing you around in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Me whenever I see vehicles abandoned on my newly printed road.

It's all fun and games until 3 people decide to leave their trucks right in front of the entrance to a prepper. Then the grenades have to come out.

On the off chance they ever do a sequel there should be a multiplayer function where you invade another player's world to deliver a parking ticket :pac:

Anybody got the platinum yet ? I've started developing my zip line network to cut down the time needed to 5 star all the terminals. One of the trophies needs you to get rank 60 in all attributes but my Time attribute is 35 levels off and goes up at a snails pace.

Patch coming in December will allow you to remove other player vehicles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I ran right into a porter on purpose because I thought it was a MULE. I never felt so bad in any game this year lol

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Anybody got the platinum yet ? /quote]

Haven't had a lot of time recently to play anything but I got all the memory chips last night. I have to level up all the outposts to five stars, I probably have half of them done, this will be the most time consuming one. Ten trophies left in total, fabricate all equipment and level up all types of structures etc. Easy but time consuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Yeah i got the platinum. For the timed deliveries i belive the doctor has a few big one that will shoot your bar up. If memory serves.

I ran right into a porter on purpose because I thought it was a MULE. I never felt so bad in any game this year lol

I did something similar at a distribution center. A few days after release when I guess everyone had found how to place holograms and were dropping them everywhere. I was driving into the center, milled through a line of holograms towards the lift at top speed only to see the last one wasn't as he flew about 40 feet through the air to smack off the back wall.
    Thumbs down from his mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm about minus 20k likes from porters because I also thought they were bad and drove around milling them.

Just finished chapter 9. Super game so far. I'd recommend anyone who gets to chapter 10 to read the Peter Eglert emails and do his pizza deliveries. The end of that side mission blew my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'm about minus 20k likes from porters because I also thought they were bad and drove around milling them.

Just finished chapter 9. Super game so far. I'd recommend anyone who gets to chapter 10 to read the Peter Eglert emails and do his pizza deliveries. The end of that side mission blew my mind.

Sucha cool payoff for what seems like an absolutely mindless bit of filler initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »
    Definitely something weird going on with story in chapter one that you're not aware of. I'm predicting
    time travel
    is involved somehow. Could be way off the mark but we'll see.

Ending spoilers
    Well I wasn't far off. Was pretty obvious Bridget and Amelie were the same person.

One thing that bugged me all the way through the game was the naming of the characters and how they all had to 'mean' something important. It got tiring very quickly. Even the dudes in the distribution centres were named after them! It's like Kojima learned that lots of English words had double meanings and let his characters read the thesaurus to us. Most enjoyable chapter (and character) was Heartman, because he was the only one who spoke or acted like a real person.

Only realised after I completed the main story that you have to finish off the roads yourself, for some reason I was under the illusion it built itself naturally sort of as the game plodded along as one day it was down just before the middle distribution centre and never thought any more of it.

Just connected lake knot to south knot so gonna go after the roads to mountain knot and the rest next, makes the game much handier for the small orders in the game can't believe I'm only after realising it.

klose wrote: »
    Only realised after I completed the main story that you have to finish off the roads yourself, for some reason I was under the illusion it built itself naturally sort of as the game plodded along as one day it was down just before the middle distribution centre and never thought any more of it.

Just connected lake knot to south knot so gonna go after the roads to mountain knot and the rest next, makes the game much handier for the small orders in the game can't believe I'm only after realising it.

Zip lines are much handier for small orders. You can travel faster and fly over BT zones and Mule areas if you place them properly.

Zip lines are much handier for small orders. You can travel faster and fly over BT zones and Mule areas if you place them properly.

Nothing better than the animation for BT's and there's you cruising at altitude.

Setting up an almost uninterrupted zip line between
    Heartmans Lab
    and the
    Great Tar Pit
    is one of my greatest achievements in gaming :D

Setting up an almost uninterrupted zip line between
    Heartmans Lab
    and the
    Great Tar Pit
    is one of my greatest achievements in gaming :D

I'm going for the platinum now. Raising all outposts to 5 stars is a lot easier with zip lines. I was focusing on the eastern area for the last few days and can reach every outpost between capital and port knot cities without touching the ground. Setting up zip lines to the wind farm was a bit tricky, its possible to get line of sight between some of the trees, but it's great to fly over the forest there as its infested with BT's.
    I have a good network around most of the mountain area in the central region except towards the tar belt so that's next I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Coming back to the starting point after defeating Higgs only to be faced with another god damn Cliford Unger fight. I'm losing the will to finish this game beaten this guy twice already.

I'm about halfway through Chapter 8, but I'm going to tap out. I enjoyed a lot of the core gameplay, but it's just gotten so boring and trudging through the mountain repeatedly has sapped all my enthusiasm. The story also didn't grab me at all, so I googled it last night and... yeah... I think I'm alright skipping it, kinda guessed some of it anyway.

It's a good game, but it's hard work for not enough payoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I'm glad to hear it's not just me who got fed up on the mountains. I beat it, but it leaned way too heavily into the zipline mechanic in the back half of the game way past the point that it felt novel.

It also became the only real way to make progress on that part of the game, which made things repetitive, boring and unchallenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm about halfway through Chapter 8, but I'm going to tap out. I enjoyed a lot of the core gameplay, but it's just gotten so boring and trudging through the mountain repeatedly has sapped all my enthusiasm. The story also didn't grab me at all, so I googled it last night and... yeah... I think I'm alright skipping it, kinda guessed some of it anyway.

It's a good game, but it's hard work for not enough payoff.

So kind of like what happens in MGS5 at a point? (haven't played DS yet)
    That being >> You've already done enough. The missions are becoming meh as they are the same ol, same ol.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me who got fed up on the mountains. I beat it, but it leaned way too heavily into the zipline mechanic in the back half of the game way past the point that it felt novel.

It also became the only real way to make progress on that part of the game, which made things repetitive, boring and unchallenging.

Gotta disagree there. I went back to the start and began setting up ziplines all the way to the Tar Belt. Not got it completed yet but having a great time flying back and forth making deliveries all over the place. Finally 5 starred a few Knots. Great sense of achievement when I see all the ladders and ropes I had previously set up but now looking at them from the air at great speed.

So kind of like what happens in MGS5 at a point? (haven't played DS yet)
    That being >> You've already done enough. The missions are becoming meh as they are the same ol, same ol.

I never really found that in MGSV. The gameplay was so great and variable that I always enjoyed it, even when missions got repetitive. Here, too much of the gameplay is kinda frustrating and bland that even though it's still enjoyable for the most part, it just really stretches things too far. Like the main character a lot of the time, it's just not balanced well enough.

At least in MGSV it always feels like you're properly doing something. You're properly achieving a specific goal. Missions/tasks are varied in some way even if it's the same base gameplay. I don't feel that enough with Death Stranding.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Gotta disagree there. I went back to the start and began setting up ziplines all the way to the Tar Belt. Not got it completed yet but having a great time flying back and forth making deliveries all over the place. Finally 5 starred a few Knots. Great sense of achievement when I see all the ladders and ropes I had previously set up but now looking at them from the air at great speed.

I found it very satisfying the first time I set a network up that connected the distro center between south and north (cant remember the fecking names of cities cause they're all the same) through the weather station and across the mountains.

But it got old when it was nothing but that for chapters 6 and 8. Once you do it once it's just the same thing over and over imo. It's the fact that the game keeps going on but doesn't refresh things much for about 10 hours or so, just ziplines and ziplines.

I found it very satisfying the first time I set a network up that connected the distro center between south and north (cant remember the fecking names of cities cause they're all the same) through the weather station and across the mountains.

But it got old when it was nothing but that for chapters 6 and 8. Once you do it once it's just the same thing over and over imo. It's the fact that the game keeps going on but doesn't refresh things much for about 10 hours or so, just ziplines and ziplines.

Yeah it was starting to become a bit annoying as you can't always set up ziplines along the way because the area might not be in the chiral network, then you might not always be going back that way either. Plus you're trying to link with other people's ziplines but they might not always be in a good spot for you. And then you have to deal with having to lug PCCs with you when a lot of the missions in that section didn't give a great amount of capacity to bring them, as you also had orders and weapons to carry.

It just really began to put me off.

• Advertisement

So the road goes from lake knot to south knot and branches off towards mountain knot also? Is that it? I've finished it there thought there would have been a trophy for it....

Yeah it was starting to become a bit annoying as you can't always set up ziplines along the way because the area might not be in the chiral network, then you might not always be going back that way either. Plus you're trying to link with other people's ziplines but they might not always be in a good spot for you. And then you have to deal with having to lug PCCs with you when a lot of the missions in that section didn't give a great amount of capacity to bring them, as you also had orders and weapons to carry.

It just really began to put me off.

At times I found it easier to put the order on your back so you could see where you were going. Set a waypoint, put the order in your locker then set up a zipline route.

I know it sounds tedious as f*** but it felt like I was outsmarting the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I just put about an hour into this but really don’t want to invest 50 hours in it. Are there any good videos that cover the overall story?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Lads I just put about an hour into this but really don’t want to invest 50 hours in it. Are there any good videos that cover the overall story?

Not sure of any videos, but I think you would be wise to at least get to chapter 3 before jacking it in. A lot of people done a 180 on the game upon reaching chapter 3 as it really does open things up.

Obviously you may still dislike it, plenty did; but an hour in and you really have only seen a tiny fraction of what the game has to offer and getting to chapter 3 doesn't require much of a time investment. Doable in 3 hours I reckon with minimal messing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

goon_magee wrote: »
    Not sure of any videos, but I think you would be wise to at least get to chapter 3 before jacking it in. A lot of people done a 180 on the game upon reaching chapter 3 as it really does open things up.

Obviously you may still dislike it, plenty did; but an hour in and you really have only seen a tiny fraction of what the game has to offer and getting to chapter 3 doesn't require much of a time investment. Doable in 3 hours I reckon with minimal messing around.

Thanks man I’ll stick with it! Was just a bit disheartened cos the first hour is 50 minutes of cutscenes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement