Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutramigen Baby Formula

Options
  • 17-04-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi all,

My gp recently recommended that I try nutramigen for my LO. She gave it to me on prescription as she said I could use that for the Drugs Payment Scheme. Does anyone know if it is a case that baby formula is taken into account on DPS?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

You can find it on the list in the attached. Select clinical nutritional products on the drop down.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/pcrs/items/

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

bee06 wrote: »
    You can find it on the list in the attached. Select clinical nutritional products on the drop down.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/pcrs/items/

Thank you soo much I never realised there was such a list. So anything on that list is covered? And could I buy say 20 tins in the one month I wonder?
    Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

audi02 wrote: »
    Thank you soo much I never realised there was such a list. So anything on that list is covered? And could I buy say 20 tins in the one month I wonder?
    Thank you again

I don’t know specifically for formula (the use by dates would be something to check anyway) but I know for other medications if you have a 6 month prescription I would be better off buying in one go than each month to make use of the DPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Thank you again

There will be a max amount you're allowed in a month, the pharmacy will be able to tell you what that is. It's to stop people bulk buying medication, dps scheme will only allow for one months worth per calendar month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The HSE will pay for a maximum of 10 tins of Nutramigen per calendar month as that is deemed the most needed for one month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The pharmacy will work out the max. We’ve been able to argue for 15 when he was at peak on formula (month 4/5) but I believe it’s dropped now he’s on solids at six months. A tin lasts 2-3 days depending on how his reflux and refusal is

I was thinking there must be something alrite. Thank you very much for all your help and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

good luck with the formula too btw. we were on that for a while but had to progress on to neocate.

snoopy29 wrote: »
    good luck with the formula too btw. we were on that for a while but had to progress on to neocate.

Ah god Im hoping this works. How old is your little one? How long did ye try it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ah god Im hoping this works. How old is your little one? How long did ye try it for?

It took a solid two weeks plus a bit for our lad to settle on this and the other milk to get out of his system. We tried switching back once and it was a total disaster so we’re waiting on it for now (he’s six months. He’s a different child with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

He's now nearly 20mths but he's been on those special milks since he was 6 weeks old. We started off on similac which changed him dramatically within 24hrs but after 2 weeks it lost its effect, then was on nutramigen for 4mths and helped another bit and then went privately to see a consultant and he put him on neocate and again that helped another bit. His reflux stopped when he turned 1 but he still has the milk allergy which are attempting the milk ladder for the 4th time, can never get past step 2 even now.

Our little one is also 6 months. We started off with an osteopath and that inproved her dramatically for the colic...no more roaring in pain but just constant wind. She wakes from it but isnt crying but is unsettled. We started on sma, moved to hungry baby, to colic and constipation to hipp organic. Have been on Hipp for 3 months and now were trying this to see if it is a milk allery. Last week she was awake every half hour with wind. It was gone worse than ever. So at the doc Thurs and started this straight away. Now she'll go 6 hours straight which is great so hopefully its effects wont wear off. Spoke with my pharmacist and she didnt seem to have a prob with how many tins we get. I applied for the DPS card on Tues so hopefully I'll get it back soon and we can buy in bulk

Advertisement