Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Marty1983 wrote: »
    30000 visitors from the uk in the last two weeks, you can e sure the new variant is here.

How many of that 30,000 are based in Rathkeale now? not to mention France, Germany, Italy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Just seen a picture of the crescent and it's a disgrace, honestly now if the virus isn't rampant in 2 to 3 weeks time I'd be shocked. Guards need to be called and the place shut down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Can we please please please move on from the whole Rathkeale thing, not only is there more to Limerick than this town by the constant mentioning of it looks like veiled attempts of referencing travelers which could be considered racially motivated posts which is against the terms of use of boards.ie. If you have a problem with travelers being considered a different ethnic group take it up with your representatives, this forum isn't worth it.

As a rule of thumb, if you aren't sure if your posts is racially profiling to travelers try changing the ethnic group to another ethnic group and see how it reads before posting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just seen a picture of the crescent and it's a disgrace, honestly now if the virus isn't rampant in 2 to 3 weeks time I'd be shocked. Guards need to be called and the place shut down

How anyone could think it's a worthwhile exercise to be in there I won't know, if someone thinks it's bad enough to warrant taking a photo to show how bad it is surely they should just get out of the place so there is 1 less person there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Clareman wrote: »
    How anyone could think it's a worthwhile exercise to be in there I won't know, if someone thinks it's bad enough to warrant taking a photo to show how bad it is surely they should just get out of the place so there is 1 less person there?

Could work there.

edit: just saw the pic....jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

There was at least 2 Guards walking around the Crescent every day for the last week or so. I'm pretty sure they were there today. Yet, the place remains open.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Logistics question.

In all probability given the new variant has been in circulation in the UK since September, it's already here.

Even without the usual December influx in Rathkeale, there have already been plenty of people back from the UK for Xmas here.
    I know quite a few who are home and who haven't followed guidelines or isolated at all before hitting the pubs, and hugging every fúcker they meet!

The trajectory of the reported numbers in the UK makes for sobering viewing and I'd hazard that even if we get good compliance post the 26th, we have a rough 3 weeks minimum numbers wise post Xmas as a result of many people taking relaxation of the levels, as an invitation to mix.

Come the 26th, there will have been 3 weeks of mixing, that will lead to a spike but hopefully we can arrest it and break the back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Clareman wrote: »

The person who took the photo works in the crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I've seen 2 cars with English registrations on them in the last 7 days, down from about 50 across the same period last year, would suggest many of the British relatives (across all walks of life) are staying at home

Today's figure for Limerick is 60 new cases as reported by the leader

Up from yesterday, down from Sunday

215 cases in the last 5 days so well above our 5 day average

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Member of the extended family came back positive today, works in a bar (which I'm not sure can be named, but its also currently doing the rounds on Facebook re: not following procedures, not requiring meals, stay as long as you wanted). Think everyone who worked in the bar tested positive now (hearsay), but a large number of cases (allegedly) linked to there.

Her and her family are locked down for 2 weeks now, some extended had to be tested. I gave the same family a lift home after the all ireland last week. I wore my mask but hopefully she got it after that weekend (suspicions it was from Saturday night just gone).

Found this out after heading into the city to pick up a couple of things for the parents, Roxboro was extremely busy, but I was only getting eggs from the fruit and veg place, no one else in there. Headed to Supervalu Castletroy, as I suspected it would be the quietest. Didn't venture near Childers Road, went a roundabout way. Supervalu wasn't too busy, was a security guard keeping an eye. I do think its ridiculous Starbucks are allowed "outside" seating but it's in the mall as you come in, 4 people sitting drinking coffee with no masks and I walking 5ft from them. Shouldn't be allowed imo.

Left straight after that, but traffic very heavy everywhere. This was around 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Member of the extended family came back positive today, works in a bar (which I'm not sure can be named, but its also currently doing the rounds on Facebook re: not following procedures, not requiring meals, stay as long as you wanted). Think everyone who worked in the bar tested positive now (hearsay), but a large number of cases (allegedly) linked to there.

Her and her family are locked down for 2 weeks now, some extended had to be tested. I gave the same family a lift home after the all ireland last week. I wore my mask but hopefully she got it after that weekend (suspicions it was from Saturday night just gone).

Found this out after heading into the city to pick up a couple of things for the parents, Roxboro was extremely busy, but I was only getting eggs from the fruit and veg place, no one else in there. Headed to Supervalu Castletroy, as I suspected it would be the quietest. Didn't venture near Childers Road, went a roundabout way. Supervalu wasn't too busy, was a security guard keeping an eye. I do think its ridiculous Starbucks are allowed "outside" seating but it's in the mall as you come in, 4 people sitting drinking coffee with no masks and I walking 5ft from them. Shouldn't be allowed imo.

Left straight after that, but traffic very heavy everywhere. This was around 4pm.

See a number of pubs in Dublin named and closed also with big positive outbreaks.
    Friend of mine put into ICU today with covid which is scary. so hopefully your family member gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

Test centre in "wicks" Looked quite busy earlier and had a fine queue at it , biggest tail back of cars I've seen at it at any point when passing , no idea if staggered or grouped etc overall, if that's any indicator it could be a high few weeks numbers wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I've seen 2 cars with English registrations on them in the last 7 days, down from about 50 across the same period last year, would suggest many of the British relatives (across all walks of life) are staying at home

Today's figure for Limerick is 60 new cases as reported by the leader

Up from yesterday, down from Sunday

215 cases in the last 5 days so well above our 5 day average

Yeah apart from the English reg cars I see everyday I haven't seen any extra cars around the place.

Though there was a traveller calling to houses in St Mary's Park trying to sell things so that's something for people to watch out for if they get an any knocks at the door they ain't expecting. Especially since I haven't seen anyone call to houses selling things in quite awhile that it could also be someone home from the UK for Christmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have seen alot of business where the staff couldn't be arsed wearing PPE anymore. 3 of the 4 people working in a cafe had no mask on while serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭AnonZen

Had a slot booked to shop in Dunnes Jetland last night. It was mayhem for a finish, ended up queuing for 40 minutes at the tills. The only mild amusement I experienced was the regular announcements that the off licence was shutting at 22:00, coupled with people barreling out through the offie swing doors with trolleys full of booze at 21:50.

It was also so hot in there that all the duck/goose fat on the shelves had actually rendered in the jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Jaysus. I find it hard to have sympathy with the people in that photo if they get sick. What could possibly be so important that they'd need to risk their health and others' in a packed shopping centre? I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

AnonZen wrote: »
    Had a slot booked to shop in Dunnes Jetland last night. It was mayhem for a finish, ended up queuing for 40 minutes at the tills. The only mild amusement I experienced was the regular announcements that the off licence was shutting at 22:00, coupled with people barreling out through the offie swing doors with trolleys full of booze at 21:50.

It was also so hot in there that all the duck/goose fat on the shelves had actually rendered in the jars.

Same.

Had to collect turkey and ham at 7pm....joined the queue in the underground car park and had to laugh when I saw that was essentially a queue to get into another queue inside.

It wasn't too bad inside I thought and zero queue for me at the tills.

Loads of people stocking up in a major way on booze....plenty of house party super spreader events in the days to come I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

geotrig wrote: »
    Test centre in "wicks" Looked quite busy earlier and had a fine queue at it , biggest tail back of cars I've seen at it at any point when passing , no idea if staggered or grouped etc overall, if that's any indicator it could be a high few weeks numbers wise.

was in petmania this morning at 9am and there was a decent queue heading into the test center at that time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

trick with the christmas grocery shop is to go after the offie is closed, and go late and I mean late, no such thing as things running out - the only thing you might find short is fresh pans of bread, was in jetland sunday night 10.20pm or so was in and out and home within the hour (this applies to non pandemic years too)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Same.

Had to collect turkey and ham at 7pm....joined the queue in the underground car park and had to laugh when I saw that was essentially a queue to get into another queue inside.

It wasn't too bad inside I thought and zero queue for me at the tills.

Loads of people stocking up in a major way on booze....plenty of house party super spreader events in the days to come I'd imagine

Another factor is that cheap booze laws are changing from next month too so some people are stocking up on discounted booze now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

BobMc wrote: »
    trick with the christmas grocery shop is to go after the offie is closed, and go late and I mean late, no such thing as things running out - the only thing you might find short is fresh pans of bread, was in jetland sunday night 10.20pm or so was in and out and home within the hour (this applies to non pandemic years too)

Went to Dunnes Childers Road at 11:30 last night, grand and quiet .

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

AnonZen wrote: »

I've booked a slot for today, if you have a slot booked do you queue? I thought the idea of slits was to avoid people being on top of each other- might give it a miss if this is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Granadino wrote: »
    Jaysus. I find it hard to have sympathy with the people in that photo if they get sick. What could possibly be so important that they'd need to risk their health and others' in a packed shopping centre? I just don't get it.

It's called Christmas shopping, you might remember it from last year when there was no Covid? Anyway, most of the exposed faces in that photo are wearing masks - I've been over there both days this week and it's actually been very quiet, the underground is nearly empty and it's nothing at all compared to normal Xmas in years gone.

One thing I will say is the "restrictions" they have in there are very lax - people just strolling along down the wrong lanes, "unicorns" strolling around without masks and clearly no reason not to be wearing one (even the patrolling Gardai in there wouldn't even say boo to them even though they clearly saw the group). The security guards also useless for it, they only seem to bark at old men carrying shopping for the wrong lane stuff and pretend not to see the rest of what's going on.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

dashoonage wrote: »
    was in petmania this morning at 9am and there was a decent queue heading into the test center at that time as well.

My second trip there in a 10 days, a case in my daughter's class so she got tested today as a close contact. Was there about 1 and it was fine, no major queues. Yesterday was very busy I hear.
    Strangely she didn't have a throat swab and a gentle enough nasal one, whereas my older lad had the works last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

geotrig wrote: »

How busy? They have 8 bays in that centre open at the moment and they let the cars in 4 at a time so it could easily look busy from one booking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Come for a spin with me and i'll show you 222 in 7 minutes...!!!
    Bring you mask or better still a Hazmat suit.....;)

LuasSimon wrote: »
    How many of that 30,000 are based in Rathkeale now? not to mention France, Germany, Italy etc

It's 'only' 3000 not 30000. that was a misprint by the poster.
    30,000 is more than the capacity of Thomond Park FFS.

What's the problem.??
    Did'nt the experts reassure everyone that masks prevent the spread of the virus. So wear your mask.wash your hands with soapy water and use sanitiser and stay 2 metres apart where possible and you can go where you please.
    The words of the 'experts' not just mine....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It's called Christmas shopping, you might remember it from last year when there was no Covid? Anyway, most of the exposed faces in that photo are wearing masks - I've been over there both days this week and it's actually been very quiet, the underground is nearly empty and it's nothing at all compared to normal Xmas in years gone.

One thing I will say is the "restrictions" they have in there are very lax - people just strolling along down the wrong lanes, "unicorns" strolling around without masks and clearly no reason not to be wearing one (even the patrolling Gardai in there wouldn't even say boo to them even though they clearly saw the group). The security guards also useless for it, they only seem to bark at old men carrying shopping for the wrong lane stuff and pretend not to see the rest of what's going on.

Fair enough, though the horrible consumerism that comes with Christmas never sat easy with me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

Advertisement