Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The reboot!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

So just a quick update, I've decided with the coach to take this week fully off running and stick to the turbo trainer, maybe a leg workout and just keep treating the foot.

It is feeling pretty ok today but even after yesterday the plantar facia is still getting a bit inflamed. I know I could struggle through this week or the next few weeks running and probably get a few decent sessions in but I don't think that is going to be sustainable long term plus there is no racing at the moment. So I think its best to rest up from pounding the pavement for a few days at least and reassess then but hopefully the weeks rest will make a big difference.

02/11/2020

AM - Turbo Trainer - 1:00:01 - 36.36km
    PM - Yoga

03/11/2020

PM - Yoga

04/11/2020

AM - Turbo Trainer - 1:00:04 - 35.75 km
    PM - Yoga

05/11/2020

PM - Yoga

06/11/2020

AM - Turbo Trainer - 1:00:01 - 36.39 km
    PM - Yoga

07/11/2020

PM - Yoga

08/11/2020

AM - Turbo Trainer - 1:00:01 36.79 km

As planned a full week off running and sticking to the turbo trainer. It was difficult to stick to the plan as the foot has definitely improved with rest and it was very tempting to get out and do some sort of run. It think it's good that I have stuck with it tough. There is still some tenderness in my heel where the plantar fascia connects but overall it is much better than it was.

The turbo trainer while not ideal is definitely still a good way to get some cardio in and even though I'm sure the distances covered/speed are not very realistic I can still use the measurements for relative comparisons. I struggle to just stay at a constant speed for long periods on the turbo trainer (I am the same on a treadmill) so each session I did 10 mins steady + 10 mins hard x3 and it is a good workout. This is the most cycling I've ever done in a single week and while enjoyable I'll take running over the lycra any day.

I'm going to try go for a short run tomorrow morning and see how the foot reacts. Hopefully it is ok and I can try move on from there. If it does flare up I think a call to physio will be in order unfortunately.

09/11/2020

AM - 3.37K - 14:06 (4:11/km)
    PM - Yoga

10/11/2020

AM - 8.4K - 38:03 (4:32/km)
    PM - Yoga

11/11/2020

PM - Yoga

12/11/2020

AM - 11.66K - 56:48 (4:52/km)
    PM - Yoga

13/11/2020

PM - Yoga

14/11/2020

AM - 15.1K - 1:06:07 (4:23/km)

15/11/2020

AM - 10.42K - 56:10 (5:23/km)

An interesting weeks running. The foot has reacted reasonably ok. Still a bit of tenderness in the evenings but icing is taking care of that at the moment. My legs felt terribly dead for the first few days this week which I am putting down to the cycling the week before. It was a lot more than my legs would be used to so it would make sense.

I was still not comfortable during the week that all is ok so I made an appointment with the physio for this morning. Similar to the last time I went I am very tight around the whole right posterior chain which would explain some other aches I've been having along my right side on harder runs. My right calf and some tendons in my foot are also a bit fatigued and contributing to the plantar fasciitis. My hamstrings are also just very weak compared to the rest of the muscle groups. I've been given lots of exercises to work on everything and I will do them religiously. He has also asked me to cut down my overall mileage by about 20%, not that it is particularly high in my opinion. Also lower the intensity, maybe the odd threshold pace run but no intervals. At least it is not a complete stop which is what I feared. So continue with this for 2 weeks and then see him again.

17/11/2020

11.1K - 49:55 (4:30/km)

18/11/2020

8.4K - 40:46 (4:51/km)

21/11/2020

16.9K - 1:20:30 (4:46/km)

22/11/2020

5.37K - 28:33 (5:19/km)

24/11/2020

11.1K - 56:04 (5:03/km)

26/11/2020

8.4K - 41:01 (4:53/km)
    4 x strides

28/11/2020

Warm Up - 3.8K

5.03K - 18:53 (3:45/km)
    (3:44, 3:45, 3:47, 3:47, 3:42)

Warm Down - 4K

29/11/2020

11.9K - 57:56 (4:52/km)

So... yeah I somehow managed a very unexpected sub 19 5K on Saturday. After recently only really having steady or easy runs I wanted to try something a bit faster. Initially I had in mind a tempo run but decided to just run a hard 5K and see exactly where I was fitness wise. A sub 20 and I would have been relatively happy. It was more or less perfect conditions, a crisp morning with no wind and as flat as loop as I can get. I set out at a pace based on feeling and it turned into a quick enough first km. I was feeling pretty good so just tried to see if I could hold it and surprisingly enough I was able to. I managed to keep the pace pretty even throughout and dip under 19. Off far from ideal training the past few months I'm glad I'm not really loosing any fitness.

Overall the past two weeks I reduced from 5 to 4 days as advised by the physio and lowered the average intensity too. The foot has been mostly pretty good although after the 5K on Saturday it was pretty sore but recovered well the next day. I'm getting a few other twinges but nothing major. I did have the follow up session with the physio today and he is happy my foot has not regressed and I that I seem to be able for my current load. The plan is to stay as is running wise, progress some of the exercises I'm doing and hopefully start to see a reduction in tenderness over the next two weeks. I'll be maintaining this pattern for the next month at least and hopefully be able to push on in the new year. I'll have to start thinking about my targets for next year, maybe a sub 18 :p

01/12/2020

8.42K - 43:03 (5:07/km)

02/12/2020

11.1K - 53:26 (4:49/km)

05/12/2020

3.94K - 16:20 (4:09/km)

06/12/2020

14.7K - 1:12:33 (4:56/km)

08/12/2020

Turbo Trainer - 40:22 - 20.04K

Last week started off pretty normal and went to plan with two runs during the week. Nothing to hard or too long. My foot was feeling ok, not 100% but not going backwards.

Saturday I went back to where I do my hill runs meeting up with a few others who I had not seen for a while. We decided since it was the first time back in a few weeks to just do a single lap of this route to ease back into it. I wasn't very slow but I would normally have been able to do a second lap around the same pace and that definitely wasn't the case on this run. Definitely lost a bit of strength over the hills while being away from here.

My foot was a bit sore after Saturday but not too bad and Sunday morning felt fine. I was heading out with some others for an easy run but wanted to do a bit more distance than they were planning so threw in a few extra km by running to and from where we were meeting.

Unfortunately my foot definitely went backwards after this run, it was very sore the whole day afterwards and has taken a while to get back to where it was. Today is the first day I feel like I could run again on it hence the turbo trainer session. I'll probably do another turbo trainer session today before trying to run again at the weekend.

Doing a bit more research myself, which I know is always dangerous, but it is fairly clear the origin of my problems in my feet are coming from higher up. My right hip in particular definitely drops while running and just doing some tests I certainly have some glute issues and I think this is all feeding down.

So I need to tackle things two fold at the moment, getting my foot back in working order and treating the issues higher up. My current running load is obviously too much for my foot to recover properly so for the rest of the month I'm going to split my cardio between cycling and running, this probably means just two runs a week. I'll spend just as much time then if not more on strength and rehab. If I can really be disciplined here hopefully in the new year I can get back to what I was doing.

I'll probably leave the log for a while I focus on recovery and speak again in the new year.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all!!!

• Advertisement

I thought I would provide a bit of an update to keep the motivation going.

For the past few weeks I've been keeping things ticking over with some low mileage running and cycling mixed in. The running has been mostly easy to steady with my first attempt at something a bit quicker a few days ago. It was not great and I've obviously lost a bit of fitness and strength but happy to be doing what I am. I've also been enjoying mixing in the cycling and getting stronger on that. I haven't had any major bouts of new inflammation or pain with the plantar fasciitis but it is still there in the background niggling away. The background day to day pain is reducing slowly thankfully.

I've been thinking quite a lot about the past year of training and something my physio said to me has stuck in my head about reflecting on what my goal actually is. Short terms goals are obviously useful and easy to focus on but my primary goal shouldn't be my next race or trying to get a specific time. My goal is to be running for the next 20 even 25 years if possible and I need to train with that in mind. So I'm going to try make a conscious effort to be less short term focused and think about the bigger picture.

I also ordered a few books for training over the holidays as something to read and keep myself occupied but also just to learn. They are
    Faster Road Racing: 5K to Half Marathon by Pete Pfitzinger
    Daniel's Running Formula 3rd Edition by Jack Daniels
    80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster by Training Slower by Matt Fitzgerald

I haven't got through them all but what I have been reading is very interesting and I think the periodization approach to training will work best for me. It has structure which I like and with it I can break up my year into specific phases.

Obviously my main focus right now is to be running injury free and with that in mind my plan is to first follow a 10 week base building plan from one of the books. The target mileage at the end of the 10 weeks is 50 - 60 km per week. It is not huge mileage but if my body can handle it, it is enough for some decent 5K training. Over these 10 weeks I'll also be trying to loose a bit of weight and really focus on S&C and prehab work. If I do it right I should really set myself up nicely for the rest of the year. I've another session with the physio this week before I kick this plan off.

Following that there is a 12 week 5K plan for the same mileage which I want to attempt. This would have me peaking some time around the start of June. If racing is back by then that would be great however I think it is unlikely.

Depending on how all this goes and presuming no more injury woes I may do another 10 week base building phase to try and increase the mileage towards 75 km per week. If successful that would give me enough time for another 12 week plan, probably 10K if possible, to peak towards the end of the year.

I'm also thinking I might close this log and start a new one to properly say goodbye to the last year of training and start fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

The key to your building base over the next 10 weeks will be running those easy miles at a really embarrassing easy pace. I fear that unless you do, you'll be back injured fairly shortly. If you really want to run for the next 20-25 years, then it's something you really need to master.

Best of luck to you on that plan, look forward to reading the new log

Thanks Treviso I do appreciate the advice.

After speaking with the physio last week we agreed that I would just keep going with my current mileage of approx 30K a week off 3 days a week for the rest of the month and see how my foot handles that. It's a slow recovery process but I just have to be patient.

Presuming all is ok I will start the base building after that. My running effort at the moment is hovering around steady to moderate and my foot has been handling that ok but I will step the pace back for the rest of the month to give myself the best chance of being able to kick off the new plan in Feb. I'll start the new log around then too. Speak to you all again soon hopefully fighting fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

token56 wrote: »
    Thanks Treviso I do appreciate the advice.

After speaking with the physio last week we agreed that I would just keep going with my current mileage of approx 30K a week off 3 days a week for the rest of the month and see how my foot handles that. It's a slow recovery process but I just have to be patient.

Presuming all is ok I will start the base building after that. My running effort at the moment is hovering around steady to moderate and my foot has been handling that ok but I will step the pace back for the rest of the month to give myself the best chance of being able to kick off the new plan in Feb. I'll start the new log around then too. Speak to you all again soon hopefully fighting fit.

Totally agree with Trev here, as a relatively new runner it was the best advice I was given even though it took me a while to put it into practice. PF from what i've heard & seen is horrible & takes time to heal from. Slow is the best way to tackle it so that you do have years left of running. Very best of luck with the recovery & new log :)

Advertisement