Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Did you know that the Naomh Eanna was involved in the search for the KLM aircraft that crashed into the sea in 1958 100 miles off the Aran Islands

More on that crash: https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19580814-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I would like to see the graving docks refurbished, I believe they are owned by Waterways Ireland, and surely it is Waterways Ireland to provide facilities develop the infrastructure - rather than sell of land for development.
    It would also emphsise the utility of the grand canal basin for boats, and not a water feature for apartments and a tower.

I believe there was a suggestion that the graveing docks could be used to maintain the jeanie johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Waterways have a contest out for a design for a redevelopment of that entire land bank. The docks are unlikely to feature much in any proposals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The only redesigning going on there at the moment is from a load of spray painters - sorry, artists - who are adorning the hoardings at the back of the graving docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Should be towed out and used for target practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Piehead wrote: »
    Should be towed out and used for target practice.

We already have a target practice boat that washed up in Cork a few months ago.....

I believe we're (Ireland) going to spend a few million to salvage/break her, whereas she could be just patched up (to ensure she floats), and towed 200 miles offshore and scuttled, or as you say, used as target practice by our Naval forces.

Surely a barrage of 20mm & 76mm cannon fire just below the waterline would then finish her off when the lads get tired...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Heres the article associated with that video

The Irish Times: Waterways Ireland plans to sell Grand Canal graving docks.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/waterways-ireland-plans-to-sell-grand-canal-graving-docks-1.4484452?localLinksEnabled=false

I do hope that she is preserved. We are brutally bad at keeping our industrial heritage in this country. It seems to be private individuals and companies mainly rather than the state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I do hope that she is preserved. We are brutally bad at keeping our industrial heritage in this country. It seems to be private individuals and companies mainly rather than the state

A similar setup to this might be the answer where you dig a channel in to a coastal area and then infill where you are going to locate it and leave it there permanently, much cheaper to bring back to its former glory albeit with it never going in to the water again...

We passed by NE at GCD on Sunday. Absolutely nothing has happened beyond the appearance of a tarpaulin over the remnants of the wheelhouse.

Left for much longer nature will probably gobble it up - such a pit.y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Without access to the underside of the hull, it will just rot away unseen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

She capsized today or yesterday according to Reddit:

Post edited by Thargor on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is there any sadder sight than a dilapidated, neglected, forgotten boat? 😢

M

A sad end, perhaps could be scuttled and used for a dive site if there's not too much hazardous stuff aboard.

• Advertisement

A few more pics scalped from a Facebook group..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Can't see that happening even if it was given away for nothing, it would cost a fortune in stripping and adapting for divers to access safely, making it sea worthy for the trip, towing etc. Activity tourism is not a licence for printing money and is in a fragile enough state thanks to insurance and i cant see any of the handful of dive centres taking it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I wonder did the heavy frost before Christmas seal it's fate.

So, what happens next ?

Who owns GCD ? I assume Waterways Ireland.

Can Waterways Ireland force whoever (if anyone) owns N.E. to have it removed ?

If there is no effective owner, who pays for the removal of what is now a pitiable piece of indecorous detritus ?

M

Apparently owned now by Sam Field Corbett of the Irish Ship and Barge Fabrication (ISBF) who bought it for €1 in 2015 with plans to turn it in to a hotel.

NAMA own the dry dock it's located in but said the ISBF remains solely responsible for the ship and its maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Waterways Ireland are quick to threaten any liveaboard barge owner that breaks their rules. They should have it scrapped and removed and bill the ISBF. The whole area especially the lock gates into the Liffey are a mess. Cue WI to hide behind the "no resources" line

Side bar point FYI.

The pathway between Brewdog and Hanover Quay is now open. Careful now after closing time or you might be seeing pink Naomh Eannas.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

Was it in a dry dock that flooded/failed causing this or was it always a wet dock?

It was always wet... she was just towed in and left there afloat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

ISBF don't strike me as being too flush with money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Drydock is maintained to a similar standard as the Naomh Eanna... Much like the rest of the Grand Canal Dock. Waterways Ireland really living up to their remit once again: "It is the cross-border navigational authority responsible for the management, maintenance, development and promotion of over 1000 km of inland navigable waterways, principally for recreational purposes."

We cycled past on Saturday [08.04.23].

N.E. still sitting there with what looks like a 45o list.

The locks were closed to pedestrian access as there are some works in progress. Anybody know what is happening ?

OPW did a fine job a few years ago on the middle lock. The other two are in need of restoration by Baz Ashmawy and a gang of volunteers and sponsors 🙂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I see there are cranes up near her now maybe that's the start of it.

Post edited by fergal.b on

Passed that way this morning.

There now seems, for want of a technically better description by me, to be a type of segmented coffer dam on the Liffey end of the lock nearest the East - Camden Lock I think.

The top segment is marked "MASS 6.3 tons". I assume that the cranes you saw were probably putting the segments in place. There seems to be a metal guide at each side of the lock to hold the segments in place. Also, there seems to be a gap under the top section held open with some timber.

So, in short, there are three lock chambers at GCD.

The Camden lock - described above - would not be open for navigation.

The Buckingham lock - the middle one - looks to be operable.

The Westmoreland lock - nearest the city - looks totally banjaxed at the Liffey end.

How would they ever get NE out of there, even on a barge ?

Post edited by NUTLEY BOY on

We went on the Viking Splash tour recently and they go past the Naomh Eanna - these are the best photos I could get, although not much better than upthread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I heard divers went in and sealed up the holes to refloat her maybe to have a level working platform or to tow her somewhere 🤔.

Passed by on Thursday [24.08.23].

They seem to have returned the NE to an upright position.

Bridge superstructure looks like it is being supported on the end of the crane hook.

Advertisement