Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Naas to Dublin Airport, best route to avoid M50 toll?

Options
  • 18-01-2021 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

What would be the best route to avoid the M50 road toll heading to the airport when coming from a southerly approach from the M7? Google maps gives me a few options of going into Chapelizod or alternatively Kingswood > Lucan > Clonee > N3 and back into M50?

I'd normally stick to the M50 but will need to collect a passenger from Dublin Airport within a few weeks so was going to experiment as with lighter levels of traffic due to lockdown I'd save two cups of coffee cost.

If I was ever on an Ikea run with a van it would be good to know also as commercial tolls are even higher.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

theguzman wrote: »
    What would be the best route to avoid the M50 road toll heading to the airport when coming from a southerly approach from the M7? Google maps gives me a few options of going into Chapelizod or alternatively Kingswood > Lucan > Clonee > N3 and back into M50?

I'd normally stick to the M50 but will need to collect a passenger from Dublin Airport within a few weeks so was going to experiment as with lighter levels of traffic due to lockdown I'd save two cups of coffee cost.

If I was ever on an Ikea run with a van it would be good to know also as commercial tolls are even higher.

Yeah go through lucan, out to the backroads and into blanch. Back onto the m50 then and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

you'll likely spend the price of the toll in petrol/ diesel with all the stop-start driving taking the back roads.

It will also take quite a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If you use Google Maps you can put in the directions and select "avoid tolls". It'll give you alternate routes to avoid the toll booth.

An option is to get off the M50 at exit 7, loop around Chapelizod, go through Castleknock, then back on the M50 at Blanchardstown / exit 6.

Saying that you'd probably spend the €3 you'd have spent on the toll on the fuel for the extra driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just don't do it.

Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'd say the stingy people thread would be the best place to ask that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

if traffic wasn't a concern, probably head straight in as far as kilmainham -> islandbridge -> North circular rd -> N1. Would be grand in the middle of the night but not worth the saving unless you fancy cruising around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Allinall wrote: »
    you'll likely spend the price of the toll in petrol/ diesel with all the stop-start driving taking the back roads.

It will also take quite a bit longer.

I reckon it will add 10kms of more so it is more of a sightseeing proof of concept theory in my own mind and using the lockdown to explore without the hassle or stress of typical traffic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

theguzman wrote: »
    I reckon it will add 10kms of more so it is more of a sightseeing proof of concept theory in my own mind and using the lockdown to explore without the hassle or stress of typical traffic there.

I doubt my suggested route adds any distance vs M50, possibly shorter. Plenty of traffic lights added though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

According to Google maps it's 33 minutes from Naas with tolls but closer to 49 minutes without tolls. Its an extra 5 km if you go via the phoenix park. If you want to go via Lucan/Ongar, it's closer to 59 minutes and an extra 10km over the m50 option.
    Definitely easier to pay the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭User1998

As above, put it into Google maps and set it to avoid tolls. But its definitely not worth it, avoiding the toll is a nightmare in every direction. Just pay up. Make an account before you go through and you’ll save yourself 20 cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

According to Google maps it's 33 minutes from Naas with tolls but closer to 49 minutes without tolls. Its an extra 5 km if you go via the phoenix park. If you want to go via Lucan/Ongar, it's closer to 59 minutes and an extra 10km over the m50 option.
    Definitely easier to pay the toll.

So that’s an extra 30mins of your time (at least €5 if you only value an hour at €10) and 10km longer to travel, or about €1 more of fuel with all the stopping and starting.

I’d pay the toll and relax on the half empty motorway. Your weary traveller will appreciate it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

More likely to meet a checkpoint on the back roads. Meet the wrong Garda and they might consider your journey non essential, picking up someone isn't on the list of reasons you can leave your home. But then incoming passenger will have to use a taxi as they aren't allowed on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

3 option from naas to the airport, from naas hospital.

option 1, lucan, ongar back on the m50 55km (56 min)
    option 2 com off at the n4 -- chapelizzord -- castle knock -- back on at the n3 --- 51 km (50 min)
    option 3, through the city, 43km (60 min)

just using the m50 and the toll

46 km and 36 min.

youd be mad not to pay for the toll

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I used to do this every day - well actually Maynooth to Airside.

Naas - maynooth - dunboyne - clonee - through damastown industrial estate - tyrrelstown - hollystown and back road into the airport.

Maynooth to Airport in 20 - 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Hellrazer wrote: »

Maynooth to Airport in 20 - 25 minutes.

not at the speed limit, as well all abide by, 100% of the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

kaahooters wrote: »
    not at the speed limit, as well all abide by, 100% of the time.

Its actually quite easily done at the speed limit. Its only 32 kms for that route Ive described above and almost all of the route is 80 kmph. I was averaging 65-70 kmph all the way. There is almost no traffic on this route even pre covid.
    Easily done in 25 minutes.
    I commuted this for 7 years and it was easily the fastest route from Maynooth to airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its actually quite easily done at the speed limit. Its only 32 kms for that route Ive described above and almost all of the route is 80 kmph. I was averaging 65-70 kmph all the way. There is almost no traffic on this route even pre covid.
    Easily done in 25 minutes.
    I commuted this for 7 years and it was easily the fastest route from Maynooth to airport.

That route is not through Damastown/Tyrrelstown/Hollystown, it seems to be sending you down the M50?

Hurrache wrote: »
    That route is not through Damastown/Tyrrelstown/Hollystown, it seems to be sending you down the M50?

You van go either way - either back road to the Ward or m50 at Blanch.
    Either way its only a difference of 1-2 kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I used to, and still did until lockdown, do pretty much that route, Damastown and Hollystown won't get you there in that time, it can take > 15 minutes alone from Damastown through Hollystown and the backroads from there.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I used to, and still did until lockdown, do pretty much that route, Damastown and Hollystown won't get you there in that time, it can take > 15 minutes alone from Damastown through Hollystown and the backroads from there.

I did it every weekday for 7 years and was easily able to do it in around 25 minutes.

I suppose it depends where in Maynooth you are. Im closer to the Intel side so missed the traffic through the village.

• Advertisement
Advertisement