Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW G31 gearbox noise or something else?

Options
  • 18-01-2021 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi - got an issue with a gearbox maybe, I don't know.

Brought it to the service - FK BMW - after two days got the car back and was told no issues.

My warranty ends in 10 days. They booked me in again for 9th of February. Which is past the warranty period - so I am not even sure if this is going to be covered.

They all looked at me as if I was making this stuff up:

No noise:
    https://youtu.be/CzTyarmuBhI

With noise:
    https://youtu.be/r2r45lQF0KY

What you think guys ? Is there an issue or no issue ? It started around november. Doesn't happen always but often enough now. Mostly when cold. But experienced it when engine was hot too. It goes away when driving but when any traffic lights stop I can hear it, and when I start driving first 0.5 - 1 sec then it goes away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've owned a few of these cars (though the older model) and I've never experienced that with any of them. Does it also happen when you put it in reverse or only drive? Also did you show them the videos above? I'd look to talk to the technician who will be examining it on the day and maybe both of you listen and you repeat what you recorded above in front of them. Have them fire up another model in their stock and see if it sounds the same for comparison.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty expiring, along as the issue was initially reported before it expires. Just don't let it go as resolved when it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

bazz26 wrote: »
    I've owned a few of these cars (though the older model) and I've never experienced that with any of them. Does it also happen when you put it in reverse or only drive? Also did you show them the videos above? I'd look to talk to the technician who will be examining it on the day and maybe both of you listen and you repeat what you recorded above in front of them. Have them fire up another model in their stock and see if it sounds the same for comparison.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty expiring, along as the issue was initially reported before it expires. Just don't let it go as resolved when it's still there.

We checked the car on the 6th when I collected it but obviously no issue at the time. It's only on D, reverse gives no issues. I showed the videos today and one guy I'm dealing with said he's having hard time hearing an issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Something definitely not right there, the video seems very clear. Could be something simple resonating under the car, could be the gearbox about to let go. Don't be fobbed off. The good news is BMW is decent with this stuff, and as long as it is logged with them you should have no problem with goodwill out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

Something definitely not right there, the video seems very clear. Could be something simple resonating under the car, could be the gearbox about to let go. Don't be fobbed off. The good news is BMW is decent with this stuff, and as long as it is logged with them you should have no problem with goodwill out of warranty.

Not exactly my experience so far. I say one thing with videos to prove what I am saying. They say their thing and I started doubting myself. Also maybe I am paranoid but recent drive from cold shifts were bit jerky (as if I was breaking then gear shifted and then accelerations happened - all in a space of quick shift) was fine on my way back tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

omri wrote: »
    Not exactly my experience so far. I say one thing with videos to prove what I am saying. They say their thing and I started doubting myself. Also maybe I am paranoid but recent drive from cold shifts were bit jerky (as if I was breaking then gear shifted and then accelerations happened - all in a space of quick shift) was fine on my way back tho...

Might be time to try another dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know this will be logged against your car on their system but i would write to them also to confirm that car was taken in for this issue and also that while the issue was not found it is still present.
    Otherwise you could get the response that the car was found to 100 percent serviceable when inspected and any further defect is outside warranty.
    You phone didnt pick up the sound great but is it a pump running type noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A quick google suggests that there is a transmission oil pump that can get noisey in some versions of 5 series at least.

Advertisement