Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a space saver wheel.

• 17-01-2021 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all

Got a new car but would like to buy a space saver wheel as I’m not fond of the emergency puncture repair sealer that comes with the car.

Where do I buy a space saver wheel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What car is it?

You’re better off with the kit. For the very rare chance you’d get a full blow out the kit is a lot better.

Tyres for space savers are pretty much disposable and expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

L-M wrote: »
    What car is it?

You’re better off with the kit. For the very rare chance you’d get a full blow out the kit is a lot better.

Tyres for space savers are pretty much disposable and expensive.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭pale rider

kermitpwee wrote: »
    What are you on about?

I got one on adverts for reasonable money with a Jack etc it fitted both our cars as it happens, we leave it at home so it can be used if we get a puncture locally but never think of taking it with us on a long journey and of course it takes up a lot of space.

They are expensive new, if I were doing it again I’d get a suitable one at the breakers yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What good is a kit if up a mountain and tyre gets slashed,kit is of no use.I can see their point,scrapyards,adverts etc might stock one + will you need studs/nuts for securing onto vehicle.Partsfinder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kermitpwee wrote: »
    What are you on about?

Luckily for you it wasn’t a conversation and you’ll be able to re read and digest my post.

• Advertisement

No idea what people are rambling about here at all. A spare tyre is worth it's weight in gold. Puncture repair kits, tubes of gunk, etc. are often single-use hassle, messy to use and usually take up the same space in the car that a spare wheel fits into anyway.

Depending what car you have, OP, just check on Facebook Marketplace, Donedeal or Adverts. There's usually spare wheels floating around for €50 or so, sometimes with the full kit (jack, brace etc.).

I do a lot of mileage, and there's great peace of mind knowing a puncture, should it happen, is a 5-10 minute fix and you're back on the road again, with nothing to worry about (and you can get the puncture sorted whenever it suits you, you're not on-edge worrying about driving on it).

Another idea is to look for your wheel nut alignment online, and search it and the word "alloy" and you'll often get folks selling sets of wheels or one-off alloys that will fit your car, sometimes cheaper than the spare-wheel cost.

greasepalm wrote: »
    + will you need studs/nuts for securing onto vehicle.Partsfinder?

You'll have nuts from the wheel you just took off the car..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does the OP's car even have a tyre well for a spare wheel? If it never came with one then it may not have a tyre well to hold a space saver so it will eat into your boot space. Something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Eg some mercs come with alloys and extra long wheel studs as alloy is thick.

Space saver is thin metal and using long studs for the alloy makes mincemeat oh handbrake shoes and hub on the rear.

Hence not knowing what car is why i mentioned studs and nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭French Toast

The father in law bought a new Grand Vitara in 2018, has a wheel well but a puncture repair kit instead. He's in his 70's and old-school.

Went up the road to a breakers and paid €50 for a spare with a v.good tyre - memory could be wrong but I actually think it's off an Avensis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bazz26 wrote: »
    Does the OP's car even have a tyre well for a spare wheel? If it never came with one then it may not have a tyre well to hold a space saver so it will eat into your boot space. Something to keep in mind.

You can buy straps to secure the wheel if there is no recess. I'd say I'm 50/50 on the punctures I've got being able to use gunk and not a chance of gunk working.

You can always put light objects in the cabin if you are that restricted in boot space, because it'll be a dark cold wet night in the middle of nowhere with bad phone service when you get a puncture that gunk won't work on.

The other issue is that a lot of places won't repair tyres after you use gunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tyre sealant only works for small round holes like a nail or a screw, if you get a slice or a sidewall cut or a larger diameter puncture then you are out of luck.
    My car came with only a compressor and a bottle of sealant and I often drive rural roads where phone coverage is poor or non-existent. And I don't feel like taking out a recovery policy just for the event of a puncture.
    I got a standard sized steel wheel with the correct wheel stud PCD and have a tyre that makes the rolling diameter similar to the current wheels.

I have had to use it twice with punctures both of them damaged the casing enough that the tyre was unrepairable but because I was able to change the wheel, my journey was only delayed by a few minutes instead of waiting hours for a recovery truck.

The main reason that repair kits are used is to help with emissions for testing and its cheaper for manufacturers to fit them rather than a spare wheel.#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

PO!NT wrote: »
    Hi all

Got a new car but would like to buy a space saver wheel as I’m not fond of the emergency puncture repair sealer that comes with the car.

Where do I buy a space saver wheel?

Ebay for me delivered e69 from memory 2years back, Honda insight hybrid(awkward size and bit sourced no sweat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

* Car and van dismantlers and breakers in Ireland and a map of car dismantlers and breakers showing their locations
    https://www.findapart.ie/

* Partfinder.ie Car Dismantlers, Car Breakers search for Ireland.
    https://partfinder.ie/

Both should be able to get you a spare wheel for handy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

L-M wrote: »
    Luckily for you it wasn’t a conversation and you’ll be able to re read and digest my post.

Not a clue, can you explain please

Advertisement