Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overpaying PAYE

• 16-01-2021 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

My partner started a job back in October and was paying no paye. I presume cause he started late into the year. Now is paying PAYE of €115. Make an average €500 gross a week. So according to my calculations should only be paying around €36.Revenue sent out a tax certificate form last week indicating he on 20% rate etc.

Can anybody shed light on why so much PAYE before I get onto revenue?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Ursulal wrote: »
    Hi all,

My partner started a job back in October and was paying no paye. I presume cause he started late into the year. Now is paying PAYE of €115. Make an average €500 gross a week. So according to my calculations should only be paying around €36.Revenue sent out a tax certificate form last week indicating he on 20% rate etc.

Thanks

It's sounds like he has no credits with the job. What is his annual standard rate band and annual credits and are they allocated to that job?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ursulal

It's sounds like he has no credits with the job. What is his annual standard rate band and annual credits and are they allocated to that job?

He does. Got a tax cert for last year when he registered the job on revenue website and one for this year. Stating 20% rate band €3,300 annual credits allocated to the job. This the second week he was charged €115 PAYE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Are the credits assigned to the employment hes in now ?

Should have a weekly credit of about €65 ,what does it say on his payslip?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Are the credits assigned to the employment hes in now ?

Should have a weekly credit of about €65 ,what does it say on his payslip?

Yep, on the tax cert it states the company he's employed with. Has a weekly tax credit of €63.47 which is stated on his payslip. I assume the employer also gets a copy of his tax cert.

I'm just wondering is he being charged for the paye he didn't pay from October to December of last year and it'll just sort itself out soon??

I know I'll get him to check with payroll but there is something amiss here right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Yep, on the tax cert it states the company he's employed with. Has a weekly tax credit of €63.47 which is stated on his payslip. I assume the employer also gets a copy of his tax cert.

I'm just wondering is he being charged for the paye he didn't pay from October to December of last year and it'll just sort itself out soon??

I know I'll get him to check with payroll but there is something amiss here right?

If his 2021 tax credit cert indicates he has his standard rate band and tax credits assigned to his present employer then his employer seems to be taxing him incorrectly. When he logs into his Revenue MyAccount do his payslips match what the employer is reporting to Revenue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi all,

Thanks

There's a full breakdown on your My Account on the Revenue website.

So we found out he is being taxed at 40% instead of the 20% which was clearly stated on his tax cert. Is this likely the employers mistake or revenue?

Bear in mind he also has a farm. Would this have an effect of his rate band? (Even though the tax cert states 20% for the job)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So we found out he is being taxed at 40% instead of the 20% which was clearly stated on his tax cert. Is this likely the employers mistake or revenue?

Bear in mind he also has a farm. Would this have an effect of his rate band? (Even though the tax cert states 20% for the job)

Possibly his own.

You have to tell revenue which job you want to use your 20% band and tax credits for. If he is using the 20% band for farming he can't use it for work. But if has any of the limit left over it can be used at the end of the year for a refund.

I think you can apply the band and credits in proportions too, like telling the employer to use 50, or 75% of the cut off point and then the farming uses 25% of the cut off point.

Advertisement