Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a display bike

Options
  • 15-01-2021 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Here's the situation. I've a bike which has not been used on the road since being imported here a few years back, it's sat on display there never was any need to register it for the road as it was never going to be used on the road and what's the point in registering it just to sit on display somewhere only to be hassled by the motor tax dept to pay road tax? However, now I'm going to recommission it and want to use it on the road, so I need to get it registered. But when I go to the VRT office are they going to sting me for not registering it within 30 days of its arrival?

I've searched everywhere, the revenue site, citizens advice, VRT info site and pretty much everywhere I could find on the web. They all say the same thing which is the Revenue dictate you must make an appointment with the VRT office within 7 days of the vehicle arriving and register and pay VRT within 30 days. Surely that should only apply if you want to use the vehicle on the road?

Anyone got any direct experience of this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I has a similar ish situation.
    You grand as you've clearly forgotten you have a receipt of sale and that ferry ticket from from your mate with the van that brought it in for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

If it's over 30 years old, they can't sting you as there's zero VRT, and by extension, zero daily penalty for late registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 West Cork Paul

macplaxton wrote: »
    If it's over 30 years old, they can't sting you as there's zero VRT, and by extension, zero daily penalty for late registration.

Not quite that old yet, a few years to go ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Here's the situation. I've a bike which has not been used on the road since being imported here a few years back, it's sat on display there never was any need to register it for the road as it was never going to be used on the road and what's the point in registering it just to sit on display somewhere only to be hassled by the motor tax dept to pay road tax? However, now I'm going to recommission it and want to use it on the road, so I need to get it registered. But when I go to the VRT office are they going to sting me for not registering it within 30 days of its arrival?

I've searched everywhere, the revenue site, citizens advice, VRT info site and pretty much everywhere I could find on the web. They all say the same thing which is the Revenue dictate you must make an appointment with the VRT office within 7 days of the vehicle arriving and register and pay VRT within 30 days. Surely that should only apply if you want to use the vehicle on the road?

Anyone got any direct experience of this please?

Too late now of course, but if you registered it you wouldn't have had to tax if it wasn't on the road anyway. I've a few like that.

The problem now is the penalties per day for not clearing it inside the prescribed time.

I would export it, reg it elsewhere. Possibly re-import it if you decide you want to keep it and do it in a timely fashion.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Is it worth exploring the avenue that you bought it as a box of bits, and spent years putting it back together? I dont think you can Vrt a box of parts, so it might be an arguement worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 West Cork Paul

galwaytt wrote: »
    Too late now of course, but if you registered it you wouldn't have had to tax if it wasn't on the road anyway. I've a few like that.

The problem now is the penalties per day for not clearing it inside the prescribed time.

I would export it, reg it elsewhere. Possibly re-import it if you decide you want to keep it and do it in a timely fashion.

But if it was never going on the road why would it need to be registered for the road? It seems iniquitous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

But if it was never going on the road why would it need to be registered for the road? It seems iniquitous to me.

Well, to avoid situations arising like you have now, for a start.

If you were never going to use it you wouldn't haven't to register it if course, so that's still an option for you.

Another reason is to provide a chain of title. Always useful. You can register it, never use it, and motor tax doesn't arise. I have one like that in my own garage right now. The longest I ever did that for was.....12 years ?

Then there's regulatory reasons. Sometimes older stuff that has never been registered and idle for a long time can't be registered, or not without great difficulty at any rate. The reason is 'registrations' must comply with the laws in force at the time of registration. Rocking up with a 2-stroke now would be very difficult as it wouldn't comply with emissions and other current regs. The act if registering it "stops the click" on that.

Finally, there's the reg number itself. An "age-related" number always looks better, imho at any rate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

probally better off selling the bike to a friend and then have them sell it back to you.
    Bill of sale is dated from then

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Last year we VRTd a bike that had been imported from the USA many years previous and been sat in a barn ever since. There were the all-important import docs with it to show import duties had been paid but that was all. We owned it for 2 or 3 years before getting round to VRTing it.
    A bill of sale showing we had "just bought" it sufficed at VRT time, with no penalties. Mind you, it was over 30 years old...
    Rules have tightened a bit at the VRT centres and testers now insist that the bike runs so obviously you cannot VRT it until it's a runner.
    Also now, of course, you have the Brexit issue to consider, so if the bike came from the UK there may be VAT to pay when it comes to VRTs. Haven't personally VRTd any yet this year.
    As I'm sure you know, OP, the odometer must show over 6000km to avoid being classed as "new".

Last year we VRTd a bike that had been imported from the USA many years previous and been sat in a barn ever since. There were the all-important import docs with it to show import duties had been paid but that was all. We owned it for 2 or 3 years before getting round to VRTing it.
    A bill of sale showing we had "just bought" it sufficed at VRT time, with no penalties. Mind you, it was over 30 years old...
    Rules have tightened a bit at the VRT centres and testers now insist that the bike runs so obviously you cannot VRT it until it's a runner.
    Also now, of course, you have the Brexit issue to consider, so if the bike came from the UK there may be VAT to pay when it comes to VRTs. Haven't personally VRTd any yet this year.
    As I'm sure you know, OP, the odometer must show over 6000km to avoid being classed as "new".

They're not too bad at the VRT even now,
    I got a bike registered 2 weeks ago, even though it had no battery, fuel lines, brakes, drive chain, brake lines, the engine didn't match the V5c log book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

goblin59 wrote: »
    They're not too bad at the VRT even now,
    I got a bike registered 2 weeks ago, even though it had no battery, fuel lines, brakes, drive chain, brake lines, the engine didn't match the V5c log book.
    Class! I think a lot depends on the tester you get and what side of the bed they got out of.

Class! I think a lot depends on the tester you get and what side of the bed they got out of.

once your polite and cause no hassle really, I had all the documents with me for the bike typed up ready to go, explained the engine was a rebuild I did to get it running and then because its an analogue clock they didn't have to turn the bike on for a reading,

Advertisement