Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

wpd wrote: »
    so i was lucky to work right through the lock downs however
    my employer used TWSS to pay me for 12 weeks
    I still came out with same net as on a salary so no extra benefit to me

my employer got on average 25k for 12 weeks

now i am getting a tax bill even though i earned nothing extra during year
    so i am worse off while my supplier has had its profits increased

this seems very unfair to me and i will be contacting my local fianna fail td about it to explain
    to me how this is equitable
    Before i do am i wrong in my understanding in any of the above??

Out of interest have you made any savings in other areas due to the lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Out of interest have you made any savings in other areas due to the lockdown?

What has that got to do with anything on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Shiny wrote: »
    Where are you getting 25K from? Is it not 350*12 Weeks = €4200?

TWSS ran for 22 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

You are right, the company can pay the tax liability without any BIK and it is on the Revenue Website

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/twss/employers/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

You are right, the company can pay the tax liability without any BIK and it is on the Revenue Website

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/twss/employers/index.aspx

Employers have until June I think to resubmit the December payroll and they can pay the tax due to an employee then if they want with no BIK etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

capefear wrote: »
    Employers have until June I think to resubmit the December payroll and they can pay the tax due to an employee then if they want with no BIK etc.

Based on the revenue article they can also pay the tax liability directly to the employee without attracting BIK and the employee must then pay Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

Based on the revenue article they can also pay the tax liability directly to the employee without attracting BIK and the employee must then pay Revenue.

I wasnt aware of that. I know the payroll software companies are updating the software so employers can make the payment on behalf of employees by resubmitting the December payroll with out incurring bik etc.

Id say over the next couple of weeks there will be alot of changes to this so I wouldnt pay anything yet until its all agreed by the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Should employees have the same issue this time next year, with many having underpayments? Or will it be ok because the TWSS system is gone?

There should be no issues next years as TWSS was replaced by EWSS which is taxed in real time as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Anyone else still seeing "We are processing your most recent request. Your Statement of Liability will be available after 15th January." ? It's quite a strange way of phrasing it and clearly not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

magoo84 wrote: »
    Anyone else still seeing "We are processing your most recent request. Your Statement of Liability will be available after 15th January." ? It's quite a strange way of phrasing it and clearly not correct.

Yup I've been getting that for days now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Turbofocus

Yup I've been getting that for days now.

Same here I'd say it will be Monday now at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ta2020

Like many others on here, I worked full time over the year and was put on the TWSS (AND a 20% paycut).

The company said they would "try" to pay us back the deficit this year. How in gods name would I calculate how I'm owed back? In total my paycut was 2k after tax last year, and now I owe 2k in tax. Is it as simple as the company owing me 4k? Or how do I calculate this?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

i am logging into my ros
    then do i need to request a statement of liability for 2020 or are people getting advised
    of their liability in a different way??

thanks

no the 25k was for all employees about 100 not just me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

i am logging into my ros
    then do i need to request a statement of liability for 2020 or are people getting advised
    of their liability in a different way??

thanks

Log into myaccount on Revenue, click on "Review your tax 2017-2020" then click view on Statement of liability.

Shiny wrote: »
    Where are you getting 25K from? Is it not 350*12 Weeks = €4200?

the 25k per week was what employer got for all employees about 100

petes wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything on this thread?

i worked as normal and the business worked as normal with sales down for 3 months but then recovered

so i still had normal bills for going to work and running car etc

as everyone else i didnt have holidays abroad but i dont consider that a saving
    now i am going to get a large tax bill even though i didnt earn any money and got no extra time off
    in my opinion i have subsidised my employers profit and i may as well have worked for free for 4 weeks

Log into myaccount on Revenue, click on "Review your tax 2017-2020" then click view on Statement of liability.

did that but the button says request rather than view

might be a stupid idea but am i better letting sleeping dog lie if it doesnt say view???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

might be a stupid idea but am i better letting sleeping dog lie if it doesnt say view???

If you owe anything it'll catch up with you eventually, so better off to request it now.

If you owe anything it'll catch up with you eventually, so better off to request it now.

thanks better knowing i suppose at least i can discuss with employer

• Advertisement

hit the button

i owe the 1700 1500paye 200 usc
    glad i was only in twss for 12 weeks imagine it had been the whole year

anyway will be an intesting discussion with boss on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

My employer signed up for the wage subsidy scheme for 3 months. Comparing my standard payslip (Jan-March) for 12 months vs actual net pay, it looks as though came out just over €310 better off in 2020. But now I have a €2K+ underpayment bill with revenue :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

hit the button

How did you get it so fast lol. I am still waiting, it says available but when I click it says come back after the 15th Jan. Today is the 16th. Stupid revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

sibersha wrote: »
    My employer signed up for the wage subsidy scheme for 3 months. Comparing my standard payslip (Jan-March) for 12 months vs actual net pay, it looks as though came out just over €310 better off in 2020. But now I have a €2K+ underpayment bill with revenue :/

All the money you received from the first wage scheme (March to end of August), i.e. from the government and not your employer, all of that was not taxed. So you received that money fully into your payslip. That 2k of tax you are paying now is accumulative amount of tax from March-Sep. I'm in the same boat. It's a pain, on top of being cut!

It says Request but once you click on it it opens up immediately. It's the same as being a View button. Requesting it doesnt do anything else other than opening it for you.

hit the button

Out of interest, what will you be saying to your boss exactly? If I'm not mistaken, that 1700 in tax is what you would normally have been paying over the course of those 12 weeks anyway. Instead of paying it last year, you are now just paying it in full.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what will you be saying to your boss exactly? If I'm not mistaken, that 1700 in tax is what you would normally have been paying over the course of those 12 weeks anyway. Instead of paying it last year, you are now just paying it in full.

no because during the 12 weeks i came out with the same net as usual but didnt pay tax on the twss element of it

now i have to pay the tax in effect during those 12 weeks i was effectively underpaid by 1700 by my emplyer as the companys gross was lower than it would have been otherwise

i work with a lot of east europeans and they were well up to speed that this was going to happen

i think there will be murder on Monday if they know they are gettting tax bills
    so i think i will let it develop and then jump on the band wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

The employee didn’t receive an extra 1,700 last year into their bank account.

The scheme enabled the employer to pay as little as possible from the 28th March to the 31st August to the employee.
    And now any claw back comes out of the employee while the employer benefitted regardless of circumstances.

TWSS should have been taxable from day one, they knew it was a problem in Revenue when they switched everyone to Week1/Month1 in June.
    Instead of not making the a bad situation worse, they let the tax liabilities mount for a further few months.
    But hey, what’s the problem, it didn’t affect them.

• Advertisement

kazamo wrote: »
    The employee didn’t receive an extra 1,700 last year into their bank account.

The scheme enabled the employer to pay as little as possible from the 28th March to the 31st August to the employee.
    And now any claw back comes out of the employee while the employer benefitted regardless of circumstances.

TWSS should have been taxable from day one, they knew it was a problem in Revenue when they switched everyone to Week1/Month1 in June.
    Instead of not making the a bad situation worse, they let the tax liabilities mount for a further few months.
    But hey, what’s the problem, it didn’t affect them.

you hit the nail on the head with that post, well done

Advertisement