Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are yous using to clean your bike ?

Options
  • 12-01-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Well All -

Going to pull the 690 SMCR out this weekend and go to town on it then thrun her back in the shed -

What are yous using to clean your bikes?

on the 690SMCR there is a good bit of black plastic and its faded back a bit ?

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Rx713B wrote: »
    Well All -

Going to pull the 690 SMCR out this weekend and go to town on it then thrun her back in the shed -

What are yous using to clean your bikes?

on the 690SMCR there is a good bit of black plastic and its faded back a bit ?

Any help appreciated :)

For any black bits, metal, rubber or plastic, once washed I wipe with a bit of wd40 on a cloth, brings the colour back and lasts a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

zubair wrote: »
    For any black bits, metal, rubber or plastic, once washed I wipe with a bit of wd40 on a cloth, brings the colour back and lasts a couple of weeks.

Great man thanks a mil ill give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

Any photos of before after with the WD40 clean?

DD

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Muc-off. Excellent product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

I wish I had one of those foam guns with all the foam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

With all these alkaline cleaners just don't let it dwell too long, I like to use a brush and work it in to a small area then wash it off, and just work around the bike in small sections.
    Its not a massive area you are dealing with and you can also inspect the parts as you work your way along for loose bolts etc.

A tried and tested karcher with all the bits is half the price of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Elbow greese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Wash with hose, then muc off, never dirty enough to need a second go with it, rinse off, shampoo applied with warm water, wash off with warm water. Dry with dryer (waiting for the backlash lol) Other then this, brake cleaner, chain cleaner and acf 50, have it in can form, bad mistake on my part, but spray it into the cover and brush on or use a cloth, great stuff. Carnauba polymer wax made by bilt hamber on tank and other parts. T cut metal polish and meguiars nxt gen polish on the bluing on the exhaust, does a great job

I love cleaning the bike, in fact I'd go as far as to say I'm a bit OCD about it, sometimes i feel it would be a shame to take it out and get it dirty lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

omerin wrote: »
    Wash with hose, then muc off, never dirty enough to need a second go with it, rinse off, shampoo applied with warm water, wash off with warm water. Dry with dryer (waiting for the backlash lol) Other then this, brake cleaner, chain cleaner and acf 50, have it in can form, bad mistake on my part, but spray it into the cover and brush on or use a cloth, great stuff. Carnauba polymer wax made by bilt hamber on tank and other parts. T cut metal polish and meguiars nxt gen polish on the bluing on the exhaust, does a great job

I love cleaning the bike, in fact I'd go as far as to say I'm a bit OCD about it, sometimes i feel it would be a shame to take it out and get it dirty lol

But do you use 2 buckets.....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

zubair wrote: »
    A tried and tested karcher with all the bits is half the price of this one.

Have a karcher and its a great bit of kit. Problem is there is no dial to vary the pressure its always set at 10; ie it strips the wood of my decking if I dwell on an area too long an turns it into matchsticks.
    Obviously wouldnt let it go anywhere near my bikes. Just being pricing them and they are an expensive yoke at eur175...

raven41 wrote: »
    Have a karcher and its a great bit of kit. Problem is there is no dial to vary the pressure its always set at 10; ie it strips the wood of my decking if I dwell on an area too long an turns it into matchsticks.
    Obviously wouldnt let it go anywhere near my bikes. Just being pricing them and they are an expensive yoke at eur175...

Mine was around 90eur with the foam lance and a lance with adjustable pressure, it has a setting for cars and bikes. I think the pressure ranges from 70 to 100 bar. Now it's not the top of the range version but it does everything I need it to. And its never damaged the bike of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Pffft cleaning my bike. I have a man for that :rolleyes:

D3V!L wrote: »
    Pffft cleaning my bike. I have a man for that :rolleyes:

More water.... you missed a bit at the bottom. :P

I had the 4 year old out on Saturday helping to wash mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Snow foam
    Degreaser for the bits covered in oily crud, agitated with a stiff brush
    Fallout remover on the wheels, forks and lower fairings, its wasted up higher.
    An Apc then with microfiber mitt
    Dry it off
    Wax
    Autoglym plastic and rubber cleaner on the bits that need it
    Wheel sealer
    Autoglym glass polish and cleaner on mirrors, screen and lights

Probably forgotten a few bits that I do

For in between deep cleans, snowfoam, shampoo with the mitt, dry and whack with chemical guys v07 which gives the wax a boost

Snow foam
    Dry it off
    Wax
    Wheel sealer

For in between deep cleans, snowfoam, shampoo with the mitt, dry and whack with chemical guys v07 which gives the wax a boost

Even your in-between cleans are more effort than my "deep clean".

Snow foam
    Dry it off
    Wax
    Wheel sealer

Need some pics to see what an actual Clean Bike looks like,
    I'm looking out at mine in the car park now in the lashing rain!

robbie_63 wrote: »
    robbie_63 wrote: »

The 600 after driving nearly 300kms in the rain and the 250 after a spin over dusty roads.

Easy to keep them clean once you keep at it. The 250 is sold and the guy that bought ot had seen a few but snapped mine up, paid full asking purely because he could see it was looked after, the 600 is in the shed stripped apart now but I plan on making it mint. Not 'donedeal' mint either, actual mint :pac:

I do enjoy it though, I get others don't.

• Advertisement

They look very clean in fairness, the 250 looks like it just rolled out of the showroom!

I need to get some proper cleaning products as previous owner had mine sitting up for a long time so a lot of grime and dirt that doesn't shift easily

Not 'donedeal' mint either, actual mint :pac:

Those trains are looking better than done deal mint. Iarnrod Eireann streetfighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Two nice bikes Lollipop. How did you find the 250 over your ownership?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Two nice bikes Lollipop. How did you find the 250 over your ownership?

Great as a beginner but I outgrew it very quickly, however I would say the few months on it gave me a great foundation getting onto the 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

After trying a lot of stuff, I am down to the German, yellow S100 Total Cleaner (aka SDoc 100) used sparingly. I first spray the bike with a flat water "fan-jet" (nothing more special than a Gardenia garden hose attachment), then I spray a little S100 left for 3-5 minutes. Then I wipe it off, gently, to remove mud and any heavier stuff, followed by a second and final water spray soon after to get the S100 off. After that I do a reasonably quick wet wax using Autoglym Aquawax (aka Express Wax if you buy in 5l) which does not require any drying beforehand.

If the bike is not too dirty, then just water and a little of the Aquawax. During hose bans I switch to 2 small buckets method using the green Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine—an American product that lasts ages as you use a tiny amount in the bucket, about a teaspoon to a tablespoon max.

I get those from fc-moto.ie, louis.ie, motoin.de, or amazon.de—none affected by Brexit. The 5l containers of S100 and Express Wax last me 2 years. I usually wash after each spring/autumn/winter ride, but not as often in the summer. 10000km/year mileage. Still looks very clean :)

539990.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Rafal wrote: »
    After trying a lot of stuff, I am down to the German, yellow S100 Total Cleaner (aka SDoc 100) used sparingly. I first spray the bike with a flat water "fan-jet" (nothing more special than a Gardenia garden hose attachment), then I spray a little S100 left for 3-5 minutes. Then I wipe it off, gently, to remove mud and any heavier stuff, followed by a second and final water spray soon after to get the S100 off. After that I do a reasonably quick wet wax using Autoglym Aquawax (aka Express Wax if you buy in 5l) which does not require any drying beforehand.

If the bike is not too dirty, then just water and a little of the Aquawax. During hose bans I switch to 2 small buckets method using the green Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine—an American product that lasts ages as you use a tiny amount in the bucket, about a teaspoon to a tablespoon max.

I get those from fc-moto.ie, louis.ie, motoin.de, or amazon.de—none affected by Brexit. The 5l containers of S100 and Express Wax last me 2 years. I usually wash after each spring/autumn/winter ride, but not as often in the summer. 10000km/year mileage. Still looks very clean :)

I swear by it myself. I've been using SDOC for about 15 years now.

I just realised the one thing worse than cleaning my bike is reading about other people cleaning theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Its therapeutic and stick on the earphones and the hours :O go by in a flash

omerin wrote: »
    Its therapeutic and stick on the earphones and the hours :O go by in a flash

This is it for me really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

This is it for me really.

Me also

Advertisement