Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business handing out my phone number as theirs

Options
  • 08-01-2021 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Requesting help as a non legal head.

A private practice is handing out my number as an after hours number.
    A couple of years ago, I asked to owner to take it down. He agreed and we parted ways. I assumed he fixed it and didnt pursue the matter any further.

Now I find my mobile number is listed as his on his golden pages and answer phone message. I am getting a few calls a day for him.

He is not responding to my messages on the answer machine land line. Can I boot this up to the data commissioners or whoever?

Once again not a legal head and I have tried to settle this nicely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭kirving

Not the correct forum probably, but the fastest way to stop this, is to tell potential customers in no uncertain terms exactly what you think of them calling you.

Not the correct forum probably, but the fastest way to stop this, is to tell potential customers in no uncertain terms exactly what you think of them calling you.

I had to do this with my email .
    Australian guy with my email address with .com.aus .
    Went on for years until I started abusing his customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

I had the same issue with a local takeaway. Somehow whenever anyone rang for pizza they almost always got through to the house i lived in at the time. Contacted the shop in question but they ignored me. I got calls moaning about cold food, late deliveries, wrong orders etc so i started to have a bit of fun.

Turned into great entertainment but i ended up changing my number because people would have easily been duped into giving me their card details over the phone. As other posters said, have some fun with who ever rings the number & it'll probably be resolved fairly quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Turned into great entertainment but i ended up changing my number because people would have easily been duped into giving me their card details over the phone. As other posters said, have some fun with who ever rings the number & it'll probably be resolved fairly quick.

I wrote to his professional association to see if they can be of assistance (cos he isnt listening to me!!!). I am going to start asking for bank details and PIN numbers!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wrote to his professional association to see if they can be of assistance (cos he isnt listening to me!!!). I am going to start asking for bank details and PIN numbers!
    Expect to end up in a lot of trouble, if you do that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Every time you get a call for this guy, ask the callers what they are wearing, and would they like to transfer €100 up front to your account before proceeding etc....

I’d be sure soon enough the error would be corrected.

Every time you get a call for this guy, ask the callers what they are wearing, and would they like to transfer €100 up front to your account before proceeding etc....

I’d be sure soon enough the error would be corrected.

Can I atleast ask them if they would like to book me as an exotic dancer first?

Expect to end up in a lot of trouble, if you do that!

You only get in trouble if they give it to you and you use it for malicious intent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I get occasional calls for a drug rehabilitation service. They mix up the last few numbers

I get occasional calls for a drug rehabilitation service. They mix up the last few numbers

Have you thought of selling drugs?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Ye in the same trade??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Start making promises eg "Apologies for that, call in to the office on Monday and I'll have an XYZ prepared for you, no charge".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hi,

Requesting help as a non legal head.

A private practice is handing out my number as an after hours number.
    A couple of years ago, I asked to owner to take it down. He agreed and we parted ways. I assumed he fixed it and didnt pursue the matter any further.

Now I find my mobile number is listed as his on his golden pages and answer phone message. I am getting a few calls a day for him.

He is not responding to my messages on the answer machine land line. Can I boot this up to the data commissioners or whoever?

Once again not a legal head and I have tried to settle this nicely.

If you are both in the same type of business would you not take them as your clients, given that they are phoning you directly.
    Otherwise, start by contacting Truvo (golden pages) explain the situation to them and get them to remove all of your details from any of the other parties advertising throughout their platforms.
    After that a solicitors letter to the other party to get the finger out and remove your number from answering services.

If all that fails, you may just have to change your phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just tell anyone that rings that the business has been closed down and to go elsewhere. They won’t be long changing the number.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If you are both in the same type of business would you not take them as your clients, given that they are phoning you directly.
    Otherwise, start by contacting Truvo (golden pages) explain the situation to them and get them to remove all of your details from any of the other parties advertising throughout their platforms.
    After that a solicitors letter to the other party to get the finger out and remove your number from answering services.

If all that fails, you may just have to change your phone number.

Not even in close to the same business.
    Tried to contact golden pages and the sales rep rudely put down the phone.

I am not keen on changing my phone number as I have it almost 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Ask the callers if they really want to do business with someone too stupid to know his own phone number.

Yeah I'd do something that damages his business without being rude to the customers.

Yeah I'd do something that damages his business without being rude to the customers.

He is in the medical profession but not a doctor. I told him two years ago to sort it and he didn't. I know one of his clients and was going to ask him to have a word with him. The friend didnt ask fast enough (surgery closed) so I wrote to his professional association and see where that leads.

He is supposed to be a nice guy. I got the feeling he was a bit "Tim nice but dim" vibe off him. He doesnt have a website or email address.

He is in the medical profession but not a doctor. I told him two years ago to sort it and he didn't. I know one of his clients and was going to ask him to have a word with him. The friend didnt ask fast enough (surgery closed) so I wrote to his professional association and see where that leads.

He is supposed to be a nice guy. I got the feeling he was a bit "Tim nice but dim" vibe off him. He doesnt have a website or email address.

Ah ok, scratch that advice.

Ah ok, scratch that advice.

The Professional body responded in 15 minutes to an email. The lady was lovely over the phone. She said she only responds to "workmanship" complains, this is more a "business" complaint. She said she would follow it up.

Seriously, how did we get to a stage where I am turning away his business and he is ignoring my calls and the professional body complaints department is called in to sort it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Tell them you are a deli selling Cold Turkey :D

Your phone number is personal data under GDPR.

I would go with that angle, send an email to the goldenpages, I can't find out who their data controller is from their website but just send it to the info one they have listed (info@fcrmedia.ie) and ask for the contact information for their data controller, state that you wish to make a complaint under Articles 16, 17, 19 and 21 (if you can put a read receipt on your email,do).

I would expect they will get back to you very quickly.

If you have his email address, do the same but I would expect goldenpages to get on to him sharpish once they get your email.

If it isn't all sorted within 30 days you can complain to the DPC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Did you start getting these calls all of a sudden? If it only started recently, perhaps he is not answering anyone, rather than just you.

Suppose your number has been on the answering machine for the whole time, and up to now, you were not getting the calls because he was answering to his customers. Now that they can't get him they are trying the number on the answering machine?

Could be something like he ended up in hospital or something?

Have you spoke to him or just left messages?

I could be way off, just struck me as strange that it would become an issue after so long after you originally sorted it with him.

Still not correct for your number to be used, but could explain why you can't get hold of him?

Lucifer wrote: »
    Did you start getting these calls all of a sudden? If it only started recently, perhaps he is not answering anyone, rather than just you.

Suppose your number has been on the answering machine for the whole time, and up to now, you were not getting the calls because he was answering to his customers. Now that they can't get him they are trying the number on the answering machine?

Could be something like he ended up in hospital or something?

Have you spoke to him or just left messages?

I could be way off, just struck me as strange that it would become an issue after so long after you originally sorted it with him.

Still not correct for your number to be used, but could explain why you can't get hold of him?

Problem solved! His and my sumber sound exactly alike. Pancied clients were ringing my number instead of his.
    I am rang him back and apologised. In his number the larger number comes first and then the second number is smaller and that is what is confusing people. So if you are in pain or you have a child in pain you could see why a client would make the mistake.

Clearly I jumped to the wrong conclusion and I feel a bit foolish.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Problem between user and telephone. Suppose you'll just have to field the odd call. Stick a postit next to your phone with the correct number, and hope the doctor works on his enunciation!

Time to wrap up the thread

Problem solved! His and my sumber sound exactly alike.

How can different numbers sound exactly alike?

seagull wrote: »
    How can different numbers sound exactly alike?

086-3zyxxxx
    086-3yzxxxx

can easily be mistaken when you are in pain or have a child in pain in the background.

Mod please close thread

So basically people transposing two numbers when dialling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement