Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a DR650se

Options
  • 18-12-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

Following Lightnings idea to do his own thread for the restoration of his NSR125
    I'll keep the rebuild of the DR650se on its own thread.
    The frame was an eBay purchase, the bike was crashed and bent, but a guy near Fermanagh works on Motocross bikes and has a jig for straightening the frames out.

The Engine was off another crash, but the frame was cut away.

Currently the engine is stuck onto the old frame and being a pain in the arse to free up.

Spent the last two days trying to free it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I haven't been able to upload the photos properly unfortunately with the preview.
    I had the frame blasted and powder coated as well as it was in a right state.

Got new Renthal handlebars for the bike, and waiting on procycle to ship some Ricor Intimidators for the Forks.

I've also done the NSU fix with the racing screws and safety wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

If it was easy everyone would be doing it :-)

If it was easy everyone would be doing it :-)

Honestly the hardest part has been freeing that stupid Engine mounting bolt, its M10x240mm and its melded itself to the engine casing.

I've 2 other DR650se in the house that I can look at to check stuff over.
    The worse case scenario is there's another spare engine in the house so I'll swap all the good bits from this engine over into that engine.

I've only been on bikes since last November, so this was the best way to learn how they work xD plus we're bored!

goblin59 wrote: »
    Honestly the hardest part has been freeing that stupid Engine mounting bolt, its M10x240mm and its melded itself to the engine casing.

I've 2 other DR650se in the house that I can look at to check stuff over.
    The worse case scenario is there's another spare engine in the house so I'll swap all the good bits from this engine over into that engine.

I've only been on bikes since last November, so this was the best way to learn how they work xD plus we're bored!

I have had a little success with the freezing spray :-)

I have had a little success with the freezing spray :-)

Got it out in the end,
    we ended up drilling it out gradually until it just popped out!

Have a new A4-80 bolt on the way, and going to make sure its well greased up before going in to stop this happening again!

cl3ny133tbmz.png

• Advertisement

going to make sure its well greased up before going in to stop this happening again!
    536571.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Bummer on the seized mounts. British bike I'm gona guess?
    What are the wearing faces of the rockers like on that motor and can you feel any play on the crank?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Bummer on the seized mounts. British bike I'm gona guess?
    What are the wearing faces of the rockers like on that motor and can you feel any play on the crank?

Yeah was a British Reg bike, I don't think that bolt had ever been undone since the bike was made in 1998
    It was easier to do alot of the engine checks and set up in the cut frame as we had full access to it, was only when it came to swapping it over that we noticed the bolt.

The rockers and crank are seem to be in really good condition, same with all the internal gears including the plastic oil pump gear
    I didn't take a crank cover off, but we removed the billet plug (with a chisel) and got the crank to turn by hand.
    Checked the compression and tappets too.
    had a replacement Billet plug already, apparently its a common problem.

I've new sprockets, chain, oil filter and steering bearings arriving next week.
    In the meantime, I'll be installing the internals and M-unit

Got ignition today on the bike,
    Spent the last 3 days going over the ignition circuit to get it working with the Motogadget M unit.

The DR650se has a CDI and ignition solenoid, but the CDI won't start without a 100ohm resistor (anti theft system) and I had to by pass all the switches on the bike.

Main reason it took 3 days was that one of the sockets on the ignition coil wasn't reading any resistance, so it wouldn't spark.
    Had a spare so once that was replaced it started again

Got ignition today on the bike,
    Spent the last 3 days going over the ignition circuit to get it working with the Motogadget M unit.

The DR650se has a CDI and ignition solenoid, but the CDI won't start without a 100ohm resistor (anti theft system) and I had to by pass all the switches on the bike.

Main reason it took 3 days was that one of the sockets on the ignition coil wasn't reading any resistance, so it wouldn't spark.
    Had a spare so once that was replaced it started again
    Well done
    It must be a great feeling when you have taken something to bits and put it back together and it fires up :-)
    Great work

• Advertisement

Well done
    It must be a great feeling when you have taken something to bits and put it back together and it fires up :-)
    Great work

Definitely!
    Except for the shock from the spark xD

Definitely!
    Except for the shock from the spark xD
    That takes me back a few years :-)
    Newer cars don't have HT leads anymore so no opportunity for a zap trying to find the plug that's not firing

You see some older bikes with HT leads but I would imagine most have coils nowdays :-)

That takes me back a few years :-)
    Newer cars don't have HT leads anymore so no opportunity for a zap trying to find the plug that's not firing

You see some older bikes with HT leads but I would imagine most have coils nowdays :-)

Yeah the bike was made in 1998, not a clue about the engine! it was also an eBay purchase.

Wow that is coming along really well :-)
    Well done keep up the good work
    J

Wow that is coming along really well :-)
    Well done keep up the good work
    J

Cheers!
    I'm just glad it works!
    Going to be interesting though when its running, some of the standard mods for this bike is disabling the safety features as they're the weak point for the bike, especially the side stand switch which had a tendency to stick and stop the bike mid journey over **** roads
    But I installed a Bluetooth module that allows me to start the bike from my phone (if I wired it right) so there will be one day when I do that and the stupid thing does a flip as it wasn't in Neutral

Cheers!
    I'm just glad it works!
    Going to be interesting though when its running, some of the standard mods for this bike is disabling the safety features as they're the weak point for the bike, especially the side stand switch which had a tendency to stick and stop the bike mid journey over **** roads
    But I installed a Bluetooth module that allows me to start the bike from my phone (if I wired it right) so there will be one day when I do that and the stupid thing does a flip as it wasn't in Neutral
    Ohh that sounds great
    Start the bike from the bed and the heated grips will be warm by the time you get on the bike
    I love it :-)

Ohh that sounds great
    Start the bike from the bed and the heated grips will be warm by the time you get on the bike
    I love it :-)

haha unfortunatly bluetooth doesn't reach that far xD
    I am putting oxford heated grips on though

haha unfortunatly bluetooth doesn't reach that far xD
    I am putting oxford heated grips on though
    Put some oxford heated grips on mine yesterday
    Have not had a chance to try them out yet had to trim about 5mm off the ends
    They seem to heat up fairly quick but the throttle does not roll back as smoothly as it used to I might have cable tied it to tight

Put some oxford heated grips on mine yesterday
    Have not had a chance to try them out yet had to trim about 5mm off the ends
    They seem to heat up fairly quick but the throttle does not roll back as smoothly as it used to I might have cable tied it to tight

I love the heated grips on the BMW.
    yeah, they're quite long! I have a motion pro throttle tube on the way, the original tube that came with one of the parts isn't in great condition.

I decided to redo the entire loom again,
    The main reason being the wire i ordered was too damn thick! so going to see on Monday if my local has 16awg multistrand wire in different colours.

New headlight arrived on Tuesday and then the VRT is wednesday! cutting it close.

• Advertisement

Got the new headlight fitted on.
    Havn't wired it up, going to start this weekend on the wiring, but nearly everything is there and ready to go.

Can see the orginal headlight on the 2014 DR, and then the new one I addded.
    New one has built in DRLs and Indicators

Got the new headlight fitted on.
    Havn't wired it up, going to start this weekend on the wiring, but nearly everything is there and ready to go.

Can see the orginal headlight on the 2014 DR, and then the new one I addded.
    New one has built in DRLs and Indicators
    I like the new one :-)
    Should be a big improvement
    Well done :-)

cheers!
    VRT is done and the new wiring arrived today, so tomorrow is doing up the wires.
    There's a lad in Omagh who does custom brake lines, so will get that on Friday.

Fitted the switches today, Absolute pain in the arse to get all the wires in the tube!
    But looks awesome, probally a little over the top xD

Tomorrow I'll be wrapping up the loom, fixing the indicators and then fitting the heated grips.
    Hopefully get the bike started on Monday

Fitted the switches today, Absolute pain in the arse to get all the wires in the tube!

Tomorrow I'll be wrapping up the loom, fixing the indicators and then fitting the heated grips.
    looks fab alright
    I would say worth the effort :-) well done

looks fab alright
    I would say worth the effort :-) well done

I drilled an 8mm hole into the bars for each switch housing, would probally recommend going 10mm, getting the Mbutton into there sucked too!

Its definitly starting to come together, I'm fitting a touratech Garmin 595 locking mount as well to the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Really nicely done, you have the patience of a Saint and it'll be real tidy in the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I drilled an 8mm hole into the bars for each switch housing, would probally recommend going 10mm, getting the Mbutton into there sucked too!

Its definitly starting to come together, I'm fitting a touratech Garmin 595 locking mount as well to the bar

Fair play, I wouldn't have the skill or patience to do all of that. Wanted a trailie like that so just bought this ttr600. These old school trailies are ideal for town and back road use

yeah it took the full day just getting the switches wired in,
    Tbh im mostly bored as **** these days too with the lack of concert work down haha.

Definitely looking forward to having this finished and on the road!

• Advertisement

Went to start the engine for the first time today....
    Starter motor Died, thankfully have a spare-one, so draining the oil tonight and installing the new one tomorrow and trying again.

Electrics are all wired up and have my phone paired up with the bike so I can test all the electrics using the phone

Advertisement