Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some nice stuff on adverts

Options
  • 07-12-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Just saw this listing: https://www.adverts.ie/member/1816254/ads
    Some nice stuff there, but I'm not so sure about the prices - anyhoo - thought I'd post here in case anyone is interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks like someone is getting married and told to get rid of their 'toys' :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll pour one out for another lost homie.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tempted by those Terraonion kits, didn't even know there was a PCE CD one :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Had a quick look on eBay, a very similar nos for 388 euro.

Neat to see something in such nice condition all the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll pour one out for another lost homie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

o1s1n wrote: »

Aye. Nice piece of kit, albeit expensive. Have one popped onto the rear of a SuperGrafx, but its probably advisable to know if its an early or later model (or if its been fixed) as there was a misorientated capacitor issue on an initial batches of the device. Left some RGB video out issues apparently.

Gradius wrote: »
    Had a quick look on eBay, a very similar nos for 388 euro.

Neat to see something in such nice condition all the same :)

Definitely.....was tempted by one of those a year or two back, but it appears to be an absolute nightmare to derive 60Hz from so would very much be a display on a shelf item, so I left it. 500euro seems a bit high though alright from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

o1s1n wrote: »

Yeah - supposed to be a great piece of kit, but I'd only be really buying for the CD support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Some nice bits and pieces there! It's like I keep seeing PC Engines and CoreGrafx everywhere. What's the universe trying to tell me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

McDermotX wrote: »
    Aye. Nice piece of kit, albeit expensive. Have one popped onto the rear of a SuperGrafx, but its probably advisable to know if its an early or later model (or if its been fixed) as there was a misorientated capacitor issue on an initial batches of the device. Left some RGB video out issues apparently.

The capacitor was to do with composite out. The RGB issue was separate and was to do with noticeable noise being added to the video and audio signal. I have a first run cart on my SuperGrafx as well and I've never had any problems with it using RGB out.

TBH, there's so many variations of people using RGB mods and varying amps across different PC Engines that it was an issue that was hard to replicate among users from what I recall, but a lot also mentioned audio clipping issues when using direct scart output from the addon to both CRTs and OSSCs, as well as unintended video noise, whereas users with already modded systems noticed an immediate difference in overall quality when testing between the two - the only commonality with regard to video issues was RGB mods already in situ/audio glitches were far harder to pin down - and obviously a lot of the pickups over the last few years are modded systems.
    All things considered, a 'pure' PC Engine with the fixed addon seemed to be the way to go.
    Either way, there was a flaw in the design, but thankfully one that wasn't terminal as it could be remedied by someone with some DIY. What was more indicative was Terraonion's initial unwillingness to accept there were issues.......which is why I gave it a wide berth initially.

Have never had a problem with the further revision, works great even if the OSD leaves something to be desired, but anyone looking to pick up the addon should be aware.

Advertisement