Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Masters 21st-27th September on Eurosport

• 20-09-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

New season properly kicks off tomorrow. Heaps of televised snooker on between now and Christmas, though most of it will be in an empty Marshall Arena. Most of the big guns back in action again including Ronnie.

He goes against Daniel Wells on Tuesday evening. Trump on Monday evening against the 14 year old lad Boiko from Ukraine.

Best of 9 most of the way then best of 11 for the semis and best of 19 for the final so reasonable length matches.

Here's hoping that by the time the Crucible rolls around in April the world will be in a better state than it is now :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

zuutroy wrote: »
    Trump on Monday evening against the 14 year old lad Boiko from Ukraine.

Whats this?? A 14 year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Inviere wrote: »

He finished 2nd in the WSF Open and earned a 2 year tour card. One of the great hopes for the future apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

He finished 2nd in the WSF Open and earned a 2 year tour card. One of the great hopes for the future apparently.

Interesting, I'd not heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Inviere wrote: »

Turns 15 today. Not really a contest yesterday. Robbo had to pull out the stops though. Jimmy White bottled it unsurprisingly.

Ronnie on tonight.

Ronnie's match is off as Wells tested positive for Covid. So did Gary Wilson, and Elliot Slessor has to withdraw as a close contact of Wilson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie's match is off as Wells tested positive for Covid. So did Gary Wilson, and Elliot Slessor has to withdraw as a close contact of Wilson.

Ah berlix. Suppose we better get used to this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Gotta feel bad for Slessor.
    Huge scrap for ranking points and prize money with the lower ranked players and every tournament counts.
    To be forced to withdraw when you dont even have covid is very unfortunate.
    Him and Wilson will be travelling in seperate cars in future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Just noticed Corks Aaron Hill will face Ronnie if he beats Andy Hicks.Talk about motivation.....

Just noticed Corks Aaron Hill will face Ronnie if he beats Andy Hicks.Talk about motivation.....

Which he has just done, finishing off with his first pro century.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Very good first frame there by Aaron Hill.

• Advertisement

He's looking very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lovely start. He's looking very self assured

3-1 now. Could be a big upset on the cards.

Brilliant performance.

Absolutely delighted for Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

that was great fair play

kept his cool after the fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Fantastic for the young lad.

It wasn't vintage from either of them but great result. Really dogged performance and held his nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Faded Glory

Very impressive, like Hendry at his age, fearless and aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Watched the full match and was very impressed with this young Cork man. He has a lovely cue action and has already showed he has plenty of bottle. Move over Ken and Fergal, there's a new sheriff in town. Brilliant win against the game's greatest player. Finally us Irish snooker fans may have another top player to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not sure I've seen a player so tense over a shot as Aaron was over that pink to centre. Hand on heart, i didnt think he'd pot it but he nailed it and was a frame and match winner. Ronnie gave him some help but still had to pot them. Fair play and just great to have a real prospect from these parts on the scene again. Been way too long already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Fair play lad, missed a couple of basic blacks, and Ronnie was absolute tripe, but for an18 year old to have the balls to put it up to Ronnie, amazing.

Was talking to a lad from cork a few months back and he told me Aaron didnt take the game up till he was 14. Not sure I'd believe that but i know he was on the books at cork city and was a decent footballer so I'd say it was that he didnt get serious about snooker till he was that age. Either way, i just hope he settles into it and makes sure he's there for the long haul. Attitude seems great so i doubt he'd let tonight go to his head or get too far ahead of himself. Stevens next which is just as tricky a match as Stevens will use all his experience to nerve him out of it. Not sure we'll get any live feed for it, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

begbysback wrote: »
    Was heading towards comedy rather than depth, kind of a paradox of your insightful comment?

Yes I removed my post it was obvious you were joking

Stephen Hill on talking to Claire Byrne right now, very proud dad as you can imagine. Incredibly Aaron was 14 when he took up the game, find that just amazing as he was all ireland champion his first year. Obviously just a prodigious talent to achieve all he has in 4 years.

Stephen Hill on talking to Claire Byrne right now, very proud dad as you can imagine. Incredibly Aaron was 14 when he took up the game, find that just amazing as he was all ireland champion his first year. Obviously just a prodigious talent to achieve all he has in 4 years.

If he's that new to the game then you'd imagine he has a lot of catching up to do in terms of strategy and general sneakiness that older pros use to their advantage. Hopefully he can add that to his game and become a top pro

If he's that new to the game then you'd imagine he has a lot of catching up to do in terms of strategy and general sneakiness that older pros use to their advantage. Hopefully he can add that to his game and become a top pro

Yeah, true. A couple of people had told me that before and i found it really hard to believe but then his dad confirms it in interview this morning. I'm guessing he must have played a lot of pool growing up maybe. He was all ireland champion at 14 so talent must have been very immediately apparent. Its actually quite remarkable really.

Edit: you're spot on about learning all the tricks of the game to become a top pro. That can only come with time and experience and, naturally, plenty of beatings. His attitude seems good and has good folk around him so plenty of reason for hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Full game here if anyone wants to watch it

https://youtu.be/_Nsh9STEBUc

• Advertisement

Yeah, true. A couple of people had told me that before and i found it really hard to believe but then his dad confirms it in interview this morning. I'm guessing he must have played a lot of pool growing up maybe. He was all ireland champion at 14 so talent must have been very immediately apparent. Its actually quite remarkable really.

Edit: you're spot on about learning all the tricks of the game to become a top pro. That can only come with time and experience and, naturally, plenty of beatings. His attitude seems good and has good folk around him so plenty of reason for hope.

Yeah I'd imagine there's a role for coaching in learning that stuff too. The Glasgow boys have formed a practice group which they call "The Unit" (Higgins, Maguire, McGill and maybe Dott). That's a serious school of hard knocks. They can all play (and lose and learn) a lot in that group without the consequence of being knocked out of a tournament. And I think it showed in McGill's world championship run and Maguire's great form in the nations championship and Higgins general very high performance. I don't suppose Hill has anything like that quality of opponent so he'll have to work hard to improve his game. Really hope he can do it.

88 break from Hill to make it 2-2 at the interval. Mostly very tight frames judging from live scores, seemed to spend nearly 20 minutes on the brown in third frame. All to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Dodge wrote: »
    Full game here if anyone wants to watch it

https://youtu.be/_Nsh9STEBUc

Just caught up with this today. I was very impressed by his demeanour around the table, played fairly quickly and his you could see his level of concentration couldn't be much better. That was a fantastic pink to the middle he pulled of in the final frame given how important it was for him it get it at that stage of the frame and for the occasion it was for him personally. He's defiantly got the gift, all he needs to do is work on it.

Not sure whats happening in Hill-Stevens match. Either scoreboard is on the blink or they're off the table for some reason, with Aaron leading 3-2 and at the table in 6th.

Not sure whats happening in Hill-Stevens match. Either scoreboard is on the blink or they're off the table for some reason, with Aaron leading 3-2 and at the table in 6th.

I've got it here

3-3 Hill on a break in the 7th

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/LiveScoring/Match/14156/786872

Damn scoreboard was on the blink. Updated now and 3-3.

• Advertisement

Gonna be 4-3. Great stuff.

Tho stevens only needs one snooker here so possibly premature!

Great win by Hill. Although Stevens was very unlucky on that last blue.

That's it, home and hosed 5-3. Really great way to follow up last night.

His reward? Back on table in an hour to face Yan Bingtao for a place in qf. Tough nut to crack i fear, but should be all bonus territory for him now. Just try to relax and enjoy it.

Rothko wrote: »
    Great win by Hill. Although Stevens was very unlucky on that last blue.

Was it on eurosport?

I looked on the player and it wasn't. His next match won't be on either I guess. Lots of good ties in the L16.

• Advertisement

Hoping to get a live feed tonight. I expect one of the bookies sites will have it if not the player or wstv. Hoping anyway.

Edit: though looking at the line up i wouldn't be hopeful at all. Too many big names there, even if they show 4 matches. Not likely probably.

Was it on eurosport?

No, I found it on a streaming site.

Rothko wrote: »
    No, I found it on a streaming site.

Didn't even think there were cameras on the outer tables!

1-4 down, looking ominous now. Always a tough ask for a rookie having battled to beat Stevens and then face an even tougher opponent an hour later. No shame in defeat here at all if or when it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Yea not looking good for for the young lad but what a great tournament for him all the same. Not many 18 year olds can say they've beaten Ronnie in a big match. He'll always have that on his CV. After seeing him play for the first time i expect we may be talking about him for a long time to come. Seems level headed too which is very important.

Hard luck to Hill there. Yan was always going to be a tough opponent. He's done well though.

My report card on Aaron Hill for the week:

*beat reigning world champion and games greatest ever player
    *became officially the No.1 R of Ire player
    *got himself inside the world top 100
    *earned a decent few quid in the process as well as crucial ranking points
    *showed he can compete and live with the very best

Not bad for a rookie on his first week on tour, a solid A. Would give him an A+ but this is a tough school and there's still plenty to work on so hopefully knuckles down and doesnt get too far ahead of himself. Seems to have great attitude and work ethic so dont think he will.

My report card on Aaron Hill for the week:

*beat reigning world champion and games greatest ever player
    *became officially the No.1 R of Ire player
    *got himself inside the world top 100
    *earned a decent few quid in the process as well as crucial ranking points
    *showed he can compete and live with the very best

Not bad for a rookie on his first week on tour, a solid A. Would give him an A+ but this is a tough school and there's still plenty to work on so hopefully knuckles down and doesnt get too far ahead of himself. Seems to have great attitude and work ethic so dont think he will.

How many points did he get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Rough on Mark Davis to have his cue nicked from his car, giving Selby the walkover. Who nicks a bloody cue from a car.

At his age tough to adapt to a new cue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

How many points did he get?

think the commentator said 6000

• Advertisement
Advertisement