Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Control Course in Co Louth Jul & Aug

Options
  • 19-07-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Just a heads-up that i2iMCA.com are coming back to Ireland at the end of July and again on 28 August. The July dates look full, but the August ones still show spaces. If you are not familiar with this course, have a look at my write-up with some photos from the last year: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058000555

It is done on the Whiteriver kart course, which means plenty of intense cornering practice at speeds closer to “normal” road use. I have done it a couple of times and it has transformed my riding. Tom and Colm, who run it, they know how to teach. I will be there as a hanger-on :) helping out, learning more, getting good use of the track, but for the avoidance of any doubt, I have no financial interest in this whatsoever. Just wanted to make any boardies hungry for quality bike training aware of the opportunity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Did it last year and it was well worth the money. Trying to scrap together the funds for the MC2 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Thanks, @Wonda-Boy. If you have the time next Wed 29th, MC2 is actually the only date that has spaces next week. Otherwise Aug 26th looks good and might be better weather, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Booked a place for the MC1 on 25 August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

They don't do anything at the weekends?

Looking forward to seeing you there, @dmigsy.

I have only seen weekend dates at the UK locations (York and Exeter) but not in Ireland... The calendar is here: https://www.i2imca.com/Home/BookOnline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Did it last year and it was well worth the money. Trying to scrap together the funds for the MC2 this year.

How did you find MC1?
    What kind of things did you cover?
    Much practice versus theory?

Debating booking for next month.

This is what @Wonda-Boy wrote on the other thread after last year's MC1:
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Have to say this course was an eye opener tbh. I was expecting to pick up maybe one or two bits as this was the basic course in the 3 offered but hand on heart it was just amazing. I learned so much theory that the practical hands on just seemed to sink in a lot quicker and gave me a hell of a lot more confidence. From learning a much more advanced braking technique to knowing about grip and how it works with a bike it's incredible. Withing 2hrs I had the bike leaning over more then I ever did and feeling safer the more angle I had.

Nice to meet you too Rafal, top lad and cracking gixxer you have m8

Gonna book mc2 and mc3 next year.

As for the balance of theory vs practice, I'd say about 80% is us on our own bikes and 20% is watching Tom and Colm demo technique (which can be entertaining, too) and listening to them explain the theory of what they just did. Most of the practice is in 2 groups using different sections of the track, some of it is with everyone on track while Tom and Colm follow and weave observing and giving feedback.

Couple of photos from last year, hope it gives you an idea of what the Whiteriver track is like.

521051.jpeg

521050.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

dmigsy wrote: »
    Booked a place for the MC1 on 25 August

So did I. Bit nervous as my Tracer 900 GT will be barely run in. Doing want to be abusing my first brand new bike!

veetwin wrote: »
    So did I. Bit nervous as my Tracer 900 GT will be barely run in. Doing want to be abusing my first brand new bike!

Cool. See you there. I'm in the same boat, I've only put about 2500km on my brand new SV650. The way I'm looking at is that, in the long run, the more training I have the less likely I am to make ****e of the bike / myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I did my MC1 last year on a 2mth old KTM1290 Super Adv....It was just out of the box.....I was a little nervous but you will be fine m8

The week went quickly. It was a lot of fun and everyone made a *lot* of progress. Makes me (nicely) jealous how quickly some people learn, esp when given the kind of feedback that Tom Killeen is able to offer. Here is a few pictures I took. Can't wait till 25th August!

Good variety of bikes:
    521767.jpeg

Tom & Colm explaining how grip develops during cornering:
    521768.jpeg

Tom explains the kneedown position during MC3:
    521769.jpeg

And at MC2:
    521770.jpeg

I did the MC1 course on Tuesday. A pity the weather was absolutely sh!te. It p!ssed down all day. We finished up a bit early beacasue the weather was gettting worse.

Nevertheless, the course was brilliant. Format :

1) Led around the track multiple time for a few slow laps to get used to the course.
    2) Demo & instruction body position, bike stability then practicing slow laps of the course and letting go of the bars on straights.
    3) Demo & instruction on steering (soft hands) then practicing laps going around the track with only right hand on the bars.
    4) Demo & insturction on braking technique (building grip) followed by practicing this.
    5) Some slow speed demonstration and practice.

Typing this up, it doesn't sound like much but it's made a huge difference to my riding - I'm more relaxed, more confident and have better bike control. I'll 100% be doing the next couple of levels when they are back over again. It was good craic as well.

Thanks, @dmigsy for the very accurate summary, and for braving the weather, good sport! I’d say the horrid rain made the braking drills *much* more valuable than in the dry. Glad you found MC1 useful. i2i courses transformed my riding a few years ago, and had direct, positive impact not only on my road riding, but also gave me confidence and smoothness I previously lacked for Mondello.

MC2 on Thu was better weather, and we stayed a bit longer than usual, almost till 6pm. MC3 on Thu was wet wet wet but almost everyone got their knee down, before we had to call it the day around 2pm when not only knee sliders started sliding. MC3 on Fri was excellent, actually a tad longer than usual. The core body stability drills were hard but people got the knack of riding the bike slow-speed fully hands-off through a cone slalom, even though the early attempts, mine included, were “hillarious”. :)

I will make sure you get extra care next time round :) as I am fully intending to be helping out, again, next year—fingers crossed. I’ll ping here when we know the dates etc as i2i always seems to sell out early enough. I also hope Tom will come back in earlier, drier months...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Thanks Rafal and everyone who helped out on MC1 Tuesday. Weather was absolutely poxy. A fair bit of hanging around at the start followed by several slow laps had me thinking this was going to be a borefest.

Could not have been more wrong. I am a reasonably experienced motorcyclist and learnt a huge amount in a short day thanks to the awful weather. Tom is an excellent communicator and instructor you really do get value for your money. Highlight for me was when he observed that he could tell I was an advanced rider....:o

My riding has measurably improved already. Will definitely be back to do MC2, 3 and 4 when he returns again

I am a reasonably experienced motorcyclist and learnt a huge amount in a short day thanks to the awful weather. Tom is an excellent communicator and instructor you really do get value for your money. Highlight for me was when he observed that he could tell I was an advanced rider....:o

My riding has measurably improved already. Will definitely be back to do MC2, 3 and 4 when he returns again

Thanks @veetwin. I have been riding for 22 years prior to meeting Tom at i2i in Yorkshire 3 years ago. I have learnt more and I have improved way more in that short space of time than in the 2 decades before it—that is why I am so keen to keep assisting him as each time I improve, but the main jump was MC1-3.

I am glad you are seeing the effect on your riding. You will have a great time at MC2 next year. Hope we meet again, and I hope the weather is better. :)

I just booked MC2 & MC3 for August after doing MC1 last year. The July dates booked out quickly and they've just added the August dates.

dmigsy wrote: »
    I just booked MC2 & MC3 for August after doing MC1 last year. The July dates booked out quickly and they've just added the August dates.

Well done. I am planning to be there helping out, like in the last two years. Something to look forward to—you just made my day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Can anyone give me a bit of info on the MC1 day?

Is it more benefit for track day riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Signed up for the first course. Looking forward to it, hopefully we're a bit back to normal by then and weather plays ball! :) :cool:

• Advertisement

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a bit of info on the MC1 day?

Is it more benefit for track day riders?

If you can, go for MC1+MC2, as they complement each other. It is good to do them both in a short space of time.

You will find MC1 useful both on the road and on track. It focuses on your core (body) stability and your connection with the machine. You will be able to control it with a very light touch/grip, even single-handed if you wanted to—not because one-handed riding is a goal in itself, which it is not, but because it will teach you what exactly happens to the bike when you apply various inputs at different stages and situations. There is also a bit about slow riding, esp. while turning, which greatly benefits from that light-touch skill.

The other part of MC1 is about braking strongly and effectively in a surprisingly short distance.

Overall, it will make your cornering easy and smooth, and your braking highly effective. MC2 will also teach you how to safely brake while cornering. It also teaches more advanced body positions, not as extreme as what you would do on track, but essential on the road, and definitely a major step towards gaining track skills.

When I did all of those (MC1-3) a few years ago (and MC4 only last year) I did it them to improve my road riding. I felt like I have at last understood what was going on, despite riding since 1995. It made my riding easier, better, and far more enjoyable than ever before. However, it also helped me overcome my initial fear and anxiety of riding on track. I have been enjoying Mondello ever since, and if you are even thinking about it you should definitely consider MC1, 2 and 3. Otherwise focus on MC1 & MC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Thanks Rafal, not overly bothered about track riding yet as I only have a bike 6 months so still getting used to it all!

Do you know if they do these courses anywhere else in the country or is Louth the only option?

Bit of a spin on the bike from the southeast!

As far as Ireland goes, Louth is the only location, but there are a few more places in UK. I originall did it in York, which was a bit different due to different layout. The airfield in York is better for slow riding skills but it is not as good as the track in Louth for cornering. I usually commute from Co Wicklow which means an early start but a nice ride, unless the weather is awful. Consider staying locally for 1 night if you do both if you are still a learner, or do MC2 the month later.

By the way, there is usually someone (once I saw two) still with their L-tabards attending MC1 and MC2. The feedback from them is along the lines of "this should be part of standard, compulsory training". Depending on where you are with your riding you might find MC1 a bit harder than others who have been on the bike for longer. However, by midday of MC2 things will suddenly become clear and it should feel like the bike is starting to ride itself. I wish I had access to these years ago, when I was learning, I am still hooked on it, which is why I help out whenever i2i come over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I signed up for MC1. I suppose I should be less of a tight arse and spring for the second one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I would like to do this but it's quite pricey.

Can anyone recommend what modules you should do? I.e if you are an experienced enough rider should you skip mc1 and just do 2 and 3 ..

Anyone have any info on that

All they have left is mc3, is there any point in doing that if you haven't done the first 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Goose81 wrote: »

All they have left is mc3, is there any point in doing that if you haven't done the first 2..

Loads of spots in August for all three.

I signed up for MC1. I suppose I should be less of a tight arse and spring for the second one as well.

Go for it, I am sure you will enjoy it. In any case, they will sell out just like the July ones did, and then you will have to wait another year. :)

Goose81 wrote: »
    I would like to do this but it's quite pricey.

Can anyone recommend what modules you should do? I.e if you are an experienced enough rider should you skip mc1 and just do 2 and 3 ..

Don’t skip MC1. I have seen people try to do MC2 without MC1 and it is often disappointing. I think MC1 is a necessary prerequisite to MC2 anyway, esp. in Ireland because of our more demanding track layout, which you learn during MC1.

I have been riding for 20 years before I did my MC1 and to be honest I felt like a novice realising just how much I learned in a day.

MC3 is different: you can do it on its own if you want to. I have seen people attempt it without MC1+2 and some do manage but more than half come back for MC1 and MC2 and redo MC3 again, with much more success.

There are still spaces on the August dates, which Tom has only opened up recently. I am sure they will all sell out, as they usually do, so grab while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just booked the MC1, is it worthwhile doing MC2 the next day or should I wait?

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just booked the MC1, is it worthwhile doing MC2 the next day or should I wait?

I would do both MC1 and MC2 back-to-back unless you are very much a novice to biking. If you are a beginner then it can be a little hard doing them back to back because MC1 can be physically and mentally exhausting. In that case consider staying local so you don’t have a long ride from and to the next day. If you live nearby, no probs.

Advertisement