Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship League - ITV4 June 1st-11th

Options
  • 21-05-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Dark times when I'm starting a thread for this, but hey it's televised snooker for the first time in months!

https://wst.tv/championship-league-to-start-june-1st/

Wonder will the boredom inspire Ronnie to pick up the bat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

zuutroy wrote: »
    Wow. Surprised by that! 'Only' twenty grand for the winner. Didn't think that would be enough to tempt him. Also the format is the type he hates given he will have to play three 'numpties' in the group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Might indicate an interest on Ronnie's part in a serious run at the delayed World Champs.

Format of the Championship League is good for match practice, the money is not a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Judd looking gudd here

• Advertisement

World championship will be so strange like this. Maybe they'll do every 2nd seat in every 2nd row or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

ITV really need to sort out the brightness and contrast of the main camera view!

Daniel Wells and Elliott Slessor....

I wonder are these some of the numpties Ronnie diplomatically never mentions by name :p

Daniel Wells and Elliott Slessor....

I wonder are these some of the numpties Ronnie diplomatically never mentions by name :p

Probably not Slessor as he holds a winning record over Ronnie. Undefeated if I'm not mistaken!

Probably not Slessor as he holds a winning record over Ronnie. Undefeated if I'm not mistaken!

Didn't know that but maybe Ronnie has him in that category anyway :D
    Well he's slightly better than Wells anyway.

Thanks for starting the thread. Good to see snooker back on the box.

• Advertisement

What's with Wells' bleached hair.
    Must be in the same stable as the "Spaceman" :pac:

Should be showing the Dave Gilbert match
    Playing Jackson Page - an up and comer but has done very little so far.
    Wells and Slessor will hardly be involved at the business end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Should be showing the Dave Gilbert match
    Playing Jackson Page - an up and comer but has done very little so far.
    Wells and Slessor will hardly be involved at the business end

Yeah, I was surprised that they weren't showing the Gilbert match.

Rothko wrote: »
    Yeah, I was surprised that they weren't showing the Gilbert match.

A strange set up, hard to know what to make of it alright.
    Maybe there's TV times quotas or somesuch for players.
    Slessor on again now in control in frame 1 against Judd.
    Wells was also on in the last match against some bald journeyman whos name escapes me.

I want to see the angry farmer meself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

A strange set up, hard to know what to make of it alright.
    Maybe there's TV times quotas or somesuch for players.
    Slessor on again now in control in frame 1 against Judd.
    Wells was also on in the last match against some bald journeyman whos name escapes me.

I want to see the angry farmer meself :)

They were always going to show Trump same as if Ronnie is playing.

Peter File wrote: »
    They were always going to show Trump same as if Ronnie is playing.

True, but they could have showed Dave earlier on.. They would have known Slessor would be playing Trump. It's the earlier scheduling I'm a bit annoyed by. Why are Slessor and Wells getting two TV matches and none for Gilbert.
    I'm surely not alone thinking this.

I guess they only have a good camera setup on table 1 so they just decided to show all matches from one group rather than swapping them in and out.

It looks like possibly Slessor could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory here... Only himself to blame

I guess they only have a good camera setup on table 1 so they just decided to show all matches from one group rather than swapping them in and out.

That's good thinking there Z. Very plausable alright

Reckon Slessor will get 40 odd here,
    and then leave Judd an easy opportunity for a framewinning break.
    He's missing too many easy ones.
    That was a great black by Trump under the cosh in frame 1.

• Advertisement

Some poor fare we were treated to today..

Only 1 quality player Judd. He couldn't have lost to Slessor there if he tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Some poor fare we were treated to today..

Only 1 quality player Judd. He couldn't have lost to Slessor there if he tried.

Yeah, it wasn't great although you'd have to take into consideration that some players haven't had much chance to practice lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Here's a list of the groups and what day each is played.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Championship_League
    Not a particularly appealing prospect tomorrow (Group 3 & Group 9). Nothing much in any of the groups to set the heart racing, and the second phase won't start until next Tuesday.
    Better than no snooker, I suppose.

^^^^

Ta for that.. At least 9 groups.. Must be a lot in and out of the top 64 involved so.... Better than nowt though :pac:

It's 16 groups of 4, 64 players. 2 groups play per day, one per table. So round 1 is 8 days.

Round 2 is then 4 groups of 4, comprising the 16 round one winners. They take 2 days to run through, same as above, 2 groups per day.

Final round is then the 4 group winners from round 2.

Realistically I guess this will be a bit tedious / predictable until round 2 but some good potential from there on in to the end. For certain it will be interesting to see which groups make table 1 Vs table 2.

For anyone making the final 4, you play 9 matches, decent match practice.

Michael Holt the only standout player in his group. Mark Davis past it, less said about Joyce the better. Couldn't pick Heathcote out of a lineup :)

The other group has far more potential with the excellent Lisowski and the talented Belgian Brecel. The relative unknown Robbie Williams and the mediocre Ollie Lines - whose probably more recognised than his talent deserves because of his association with Jack and Judd - complete the lineup.

I really hope the latter group gets the cameras today if itv4 are showing it. Kojak just over now so hopefully it's up next and will watch some of it depending on the games.

^^^^
    Coverage just started. Waiting for the schedule to be announced. Angles And Neal doing punditry. Don't recognise the female presenter.
    Jack and Luca the last match.
    Jack and Ollie lines coming up after the break....

Ollie Lines has a gilt edged opportunity of taking the opener here in what's been a nervy first frame.

Edit - just missed.... Lisowski's for the taking

1-0 to Lisowski

• Advertisement

It's like Judd - Slessor over again. Lines missing easy ones. Lisowski's misses not being punished at all. looks like a 3-0 on current showing.

Jack 60 ahead here with 5 reds left

Advertisement