Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethiopian Airlines Crash/ B737MAX grounding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Can I ask what I know is a somewhat naive question with regards to 'stalling' in general?

As an example, if I was driving a manual car down an endless straight road at 30km per hour in 6th gear, the car would try to stall, as the speed versus the gear I'm in does not equate to normal driving and puts the engine and gearbox under strain. My solution, in this situation, is to drop the car into 2nd or 3rd gear, and continue driving the car, until I figure out what the issue was.

Now, translate that to an aircraft. Should the instruments be telling me that the aircraft is about to stall, are there not some 'default' settings I can put the plane into that ensure that the aircraft will not stall, while I figure out what is going on? Be this flap setting x and engine power at y. I realise that I'm trying to simplify what is a very complex task, and ignoring other factors like altitude, but surely there exists a 'default' position in situations like the Lion Air and (possibly) this situation, where the pilots can agree on a setting, turn off MCAS and take some time to figure what is most likely going on?

A stall in aerodynamic terms means that the wings are not generating lift and so the plane will start descending whether you want it to or not. Usually this is because the nose of the aircraft is at too high an angle.

The engines could be working perfectly but the pitch of the aircraft is such that there isn't enough air moving underneath the wings to stop it from falling out of the sky.

Given an infinite amount of time anyone ought to be able to figure out what is going wrong and come up with a corrective action. The problem is that when it happens on an aircraft you have a very finite amount of time before you turn into a crater.

The issue with his flight is that the aircraft right now does not appear to have been in a stall - the speculation is that, similar to what appears to have happened in the Lion Air crash 5 months ago, the device that is meant to prevent a stall (MCAS) activated when it shouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

A stall in aerodynamic terms means that the wings are not generating lift and so the plane will start descending whether you want it to or not. Usually this is because the nose of the aircraft is at too high an angle.

The engines could be working perfectly but the pitch of the aircraft is such that there isn't enough air moving underneath the wings to stop it from falling out of the sky.

Given an infinite amount of time anyone ought to be able to figure out what is going wrong and come up with a corrective action.

The problem is that when it happens on an aircraft you have a very finite amount of time before you turn into a crater.

The issue with his flight is that the aircraft right now does not appear to have been in a stall - the speculation is that, similar to what appears to have happened in the Lion Air crash 5 months ago, the device that is meant to prevent a stall (MCAS) activated when it shouldn't have.

Hence my question. My understanding is that there have been many situations where the plane/pilot believed the aircraft was about to go into a stall (I'm not talking about a situation where a plane is in stall) but conflicting information made that decision open to question. So, (for example) where an automated system was adding nose down/up trim to an aircraft believing that the AOA was incorrect, is there a non-automated setting the pilot can put the aircraft into, that gives them time to think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Now, translate that to an aircraft. Should the instruments be telling me that the aircraft is about to stall, are there not some 'default' settings I can put the plane into that ensure that the aircraft will not stall, while I figure out what is going on?

As raging_ninja says, an aerodynamic stall happens when there is not enough air passing fast enough over the wing to generate lift. Without lift, the aircraft falls out of the sky. The "default" setting is for the aircraft to fall out of the sky! The default correction is for the pilot to (try to) put the aircraft into a (steep) dive so that it falls nose-first, thus creating airflow over the wings, generating lift and getting things back to normal.

The problems arise when either
    (a) the pilot can't tell whether they're "nose up" or "nose down" because the instruments are giving misleading information - or the instruments are giving accurate information that doesn't match information coming from other sources [remember that at altitude and in bad weather/nighttime pilots have few or no points of reference]; and
    (b) the aircraft is so close to the ground that there simply isn't room to dive several thousand feet to get the necessary airflow over the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My OH is flying NYC to Dublin tonight on a 737 Max. I think she's vaguely aware there is some controversy surrounding the plane. My gut feeling is threefold.
    1. You can't read much into cancellations, they have as much to do with politics and marketing ("as safety above all costs")
    2. If the Pilots were worried they would refuse to fly
    3. Right now the pilots are probably as aware and as prepared for an issue as ever.

But I do worry about Norwegian. As an Airline they are struggling financially and probably can't afford to ground the planes. Anything you flight experts would casually say to someone flying on one tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

errlloyd wrote: »
    My OH is flying NYC to Dublin tonight on a 737 Max. I think she's vaguely aware there is some controversy surrounding the plane. My gut feeling is threefold.
    1. You can't read much into cancellations, they have as much to do with politics and marketing ("as safety above all costs")
    3. Right now the pilots are probably as aware and as prepared for an issue as ever.

But I do worry about Norwegian. As an Airline they are struggling financially and probably can't afford to ground the planes. Anything you flight experts would casually say to someone flying on one tonight?

I'm of the same feeling too, booked to fly their max the start if April on a new route. Cant imagine they are in a position to throw money at training and would rather be on a 330.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Flying Ryanair to Budapest in two weeks and my o/h is now paranoid beyond belief. Am I correct in thinking they haven't taken delivery of their MAX8 yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'm a nervous flyer as it is. This is not great for my flight anxiety at all. I'm booked with Ryanair Dublin to Amsterdam in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

errlloyd wrote: »

I'm not a flight expert, but it's worth remembering that there have been countless journeys completed on 737 MAX without incident. I personally flew on one twice last summer with Norwegian. The chances of anything happening are still incredibly small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Ryanair are not yet flying the MAX. As for Norwegian, look, the chances of an accident are still very small. I'd personally not book onto one now until we know more but I still think that the chances of a further accident even if these two had the same cause, is minimal; if it was the same cause, pilots will be more aware of what to do about it; and there's a chance it's just bad luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Doylers wrote: »
    I'm of the same feeling too, booked to fly their max the start if April on a new route. Cant imagine they are in a position to throw money at training and would rather be on a 330.

My wife and I are due to fly to Providence this Friday with Norwegian. Currently in the process of booking new flights (at our own expense :(). Not worth the risk with having two young kids left at home when you consider 2 out 350 operating planes have crashed. I suspect that Norwegian have not grounded their fleet as they know they would go to the wall if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Duff wrote: »
    Flying Ryanair to Budapest in two weeks and my o/h is now paranoid beyond belief. Am I correct in thinking they haven't taken delivery of their MAX8 yet?
    indeed, they get one plane in April and then a couple more in May.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0312/1035824-ryanair-boeing-737-max/

mac_daddy wrote: »
    My wife and I are due to fly to Providence this Friday with Norwegian. Currently in the process of booking new flights (at our own expense :(). Not worth the risk with having two young kids left at home when you consider 2 out 350 operating planes have crashed. I suspect that Norwegian have not grounded their fleet as they know they would go to the wall if they did.

Daft attitude, IMO. The reported fault on the Lion Air aircraft is one that the pilots can work with. No-one knows why the Ethiopian aircraft crashed. None of the Norwegian aircraft have had any significant incidents. The risk of your children being orphaned by a dodgy 737-MAX is still tiny compared to the likelihood you'll be killed by an uninsured driver on the M50 on the way to the airport.

FWIW, my sister and a bunch of friends are all booked on that Ethiopian flight/route later this year. None of them are changing their reservations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Daft attitude, IMO. The reported fault on the Lion Air aircraft is one that the pilots can work with. No-one knows why the Ethiopian aircraft crashed. None of the Norwegian aircraft have had any significant incidents. The risk of your children being orphaned by a dodgy 737-MAX is still tiny compared to the likelihood you'll be killed by an uninsured driver on the M50 on the way to the airport.

FWIW, my sister and a bunch of friends are all booked on that Ethiopian flight/route later this year. None of them are changing their reservations.

Indeed,and by the posters own figures,there are 348 out of 350 still capable of flight ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Why do folks always throw up the comparison of being killed by uninsured driver? The stats here are different than the generic airline fatality measurements. Not sure if you have kids or not but that's when you re-evaluate risk a little differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

That's ott. Lets assume each plane has now made, on average, 1000 movements, then your chances are 2 in 350x1000 = 1 in 175000 on it happening to you.

• Advertisement

Why do folks always throw up the comparison of being killed by uninsured driver? The stats here are different than the generic airline fatality measurements. Not sure if you have kids or not but that's when you re-evaluate risk a little differently.

The risk of dying on a Norwegian 737 today are exactly the same as they were last week.

Yes, I do have children (four of them) and if any of them were available to take your Providence tickets off your hands, I'd tell them to grab the chance of a bargain. They might get killed by a drunk driver in Dublin or be shot by the police in America, but they will not die in a plane crash over the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/boeing-737-ban-uk-airspace-caa-ethiopia-crash-a8819301.html?amp

Looks like the UK have just grounded the MAX, none allowed through UK airspace, also grounded by Australia earlier on today.

That’ll be quite the hit for Norwegian and TUI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FAA actually moving to reassure rather than a wait and see approach is starting to look very off now.

NH2013 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/boeing-737-ban-uk-airspace-caa-ethiopia-crash-a8819301.html?amp

Looks like the UK have just grounded the MAX, none allowed through UK airspace, also grounded by Australia earlier on today.

That’ll be quite the hit for Norwegian and TUI.

Dammit you beat me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Doylers wrote: »
    Dammit you beat me :pac:

That is a very serious move that will see the IAA follow up with the same ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As raging_ninja says, an aerodynamic stall happens when there is not enough air passing fast enough over the wing to generate lift. Without lift, the aircraft falls out of the sky. The "default" setting is for the aircraft to fall out of the sky! The default correction is for the pilot to (try to) put the aircraft into a (steep) dive so that it falls nose-first, thus creating airflow over the wings, generating lift and getting things back to normal.

The problems arise when either
    (a) the pilot can't tell whether they're "nose up" or "nose down" because the instruments are giving misleading information - or the instruments are giving accurate information that doesn't match information coming from other sources [remember that at altitude and in bad weather/nighttime pilots have few or no points of reference]; and
    (b) the aircraft is so close to the ground that there simply isn't room to dive several thousand feet to get the necessary airflow over the wings.

I have stalled an aircraft many times - saying they fall out of the sky is melodramatic hyperbole. In a stall, the wings lose lift and so long as the plane isn't in a turn, the plane noses over sharply and enters a dive, which causes the airspeed to increase very rapidly - re-establishing lift over the wings and returning full control to the pilot allowing them to pull the nose up and to continue flying.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That is a very serious move that will see the IAA follow up with the same ban

Would such a ban affect people with bookings? Will the be entitled to 261 compensation I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm not a flight expert, but it's worth remembering that there have been countless journeys completed on 737 MAX without incident. I personally flew on one twice last summer with Norwegian. The chances of anything happening are still incredibly small.
    Hmmm, they have lost 2 of 350 delivered since 2017 (0.6% of fleet lost with all souls aboard). That's not a good statistic at all. You'd buy hundreds of lotto tickets if you had those sorts of odds of winning. I would not put my family on one right now and I would not advise anyone else to either. Maybe the 2 crashes so far are unrelated but if they definitely were then you can be sure Boeing would be publicising the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

The risk of dying on a Norwegian 737 today are exactly the same as they were last week.

Yes, I do have children (four of them) and if any of them were available to take your Providence tickets off your hands, I'd tell them to grab the chance of a bargain. They might get killed by a drunk driver in Dublin or be shot by the police in America, but they will not die in a plane crash over the Atlantic.

If Norwegian are the only airline left flying the Max, would that change your mind?

It’s a big cost to pay for new flights but it would seems that with half the Max fleet grounded or banned from flying that its not OTT to not want to fly on one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The UK and Oman have joined the growing list of countries to ground the Boeing 737 Max. Ireland will surely follow soon, goodbye Norwegian after that.

EDIT; changed the word to be more precise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just on a related note with Norweigan and the Max.

Do we know why that plane was originally forced to land in Iran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

theguzman wrote: »
    The UK and Oman have joined the growing list of countries to ban the Boeing 737 Max. Ireland will surely follow soon, goodbye Norwegian after that.

My guess would be IAA will wait for EASA rather than make the call themselves.

I would say the IAA will make your choice for you re flying on a MAX soon. Either you'll get something else leased in or you won't be flying with them at all. Norwegian better have good insurance against this sort of thing or they're in trouble.

Casati wrote: »
    If Norwegian are the only airline left flying the Max, would that change your mind?

It’s a big cost to pay for new flights but it would seems that with half the Max fleet grounded or banned from flying that its not OTT to not want to fly on one
    Apparently pilots for Aerolineas Argentinas have refused to fly them and as such the company has grounded their fleet too.

• Advertisement

Seems Norwegian have bit the bullet. In Swedish but Google translate:

Following the flight in Ethiopia, Norwegian puts all its Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft on the ground temporarily.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I would say the IAA will make your choice for you re flying on a MAX soon. Either you'll get something else leased in or you won't be flying with them at all. Norwegian better have good insurance against this sort of thing or they're in trouble.

Shouldn't Boeing ultimately be responsible for all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

but they will not die in a plane crash over the Atlantic.

Both planes crashed shortly after takeoff so it's more likely to be over land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I flew on one with TUI through UK airspace last month, I wonder will this screw a few holidays up.

theguzman wrote: »
    Shouldn't Boeing ultimately be responsible for all this?

I imagine there's arcane and complex contractual relationships that will kick in here alright, but you can't just magic 350 (sorry, 348) aircraft out of thin air either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

murphaph wrote: »
    Hmmm, they have lost 2 of 350 delivered since 2017 (0.6% of fleet lost with all souls aboard). That's not a good statistic at all. You'd buy hundreds of lotto tickets if you had those sorts of odds of winning. I would not put my family on one right now and I would not advise anyone else to either. Maybe the 2 crashes so far are unrelated but if they definitely were then you can be sure Boeing would be publicising the fact.

The problem is that due to the way the statistics are computed the 737MAX has probably become the second deadliest fatal flight statistic after the Concorde which as we know only had the one fatal flight.

I imagine there's arcane and complex contractual relationships that will kick in here alright, but you can't just magic 350 (sorry, 348) aircraft out of thin air either.

You'd be surprised at the amount of perfectly serviceable albeit fuel thirsty airliners sitting in Deserts in America which could be put into service again if needed.

Seems Norwegian have bit the bullet. In Swedish but Google translate:

Following the flight in Ethiopia, Norwegian puts all its Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft on the ground temporarily.

Sky News just stated Norweigan fleet grounded.

Casati wrote: »

At the current time, no. If I was buying a plane tomorrow, I wouldn't choose one of these when there are other options available.

There's absolutely no indication that anyone knows what caused the Ethiopian crash, so it's pointless basing any decision to travel on that. If it turns out to be the same problem that caused the Lion Air crash, well, that's a known issue and there's a way to deal with it (as the crew flying the Lion Air aircraft did on the previous trip).

I would hope that Norwegian's pilots have all heard about the "Lion Air" problem with the 737 MAX's design and have at least read up on the steps to take to disable the problematic components, maybe even done a few hours in the simulator to practice their reflexes - but there are already more than enough things that can go wrong during a flight without adding speculative risks into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Other countries have grounded it because they probably have been advised by back channels of the flight data recorder findings. You wouldn't believe how quickly they actually get the contents off those after recovering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Norwegian Providence and Newburgh canx from DUB today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cnocbui wrote: »
    Other countries have grounded it because they probably have been advised by back channels of the flight data recorder findings. You wouldn't believe how quickly they actually get the contents off those after recovering them.

Agree with this observation.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

As Ryanair were only planning on flying the Max's out of Stansted do you think they will swap them up and fly them out of another city that hasn't banned them by then? Or are we looking at a worldwide ban by April anyway?

Can't see MOL letting aircraft sit parked up.

PCros wrote: »
    As Ryanair were only planning on flying the Max's out of Stansted do you think they will swap them up and fly them out of another city that hasn't banned them by then? Or are we looking at a worldwide ban by April anyway?

Can't see MOL letting aircraft sit parked up.

Looks like there will be a worldwide ban in the next few days. It might be sorted by the time Ryanair gets them.

• Advertisement

The big question is with so many groundings how are the airlines in terms of a stand in/hire in, no doubt some can manage, but other airlines will be in chaos.

GM228 wrote: »
    The problem is that due to the way the statistics are computed the 737MAX has probably become the second deadliest fatal flight statistic after the Concorde which as we know only had the one fatal flight.
    We also know what caused that crash and in fact steps were taken to remedy the weakness. We don't actually know if the 737 MAX has an inherent flaw. If and when the issue is resolved or at least satisfactorily explained, I will not be flying on them.

Concorde was also grounded of course while the issues were resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

GM228 wrote: »

“Following recommendations by European aviation authorities”?

Have EASA issued something?

What, if anything, does this mean for the Neo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

The other thing to consider is that the Lion Air plane was known to be "unairworthy" before the fatal accident. One would like to think that reputable airlines don't allow their craft to fly in that situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement