Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Educational videos/films you were shown in school.

Options
  • 19-11-2017 12:10pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there was already a thread about this before or not but here goes. Does anyone have memories of educational films on drink/drugs/safety etc that were shown to pupils in school. I remember our class was made watch this circa 1990. Everyone was bursting out laughing at the various scenes of careless kids being fried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Videos about the facts of life and hygiene

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

No such a thing as video or "films" when i went to school. Sister assumpta Cornelius told us everything we needed to know about sex, drugs and rock n roll.

National Geographic and David Attenborough videos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Radharc - Dying For A Drink

Watched it in Civics class, 1985 or 1986

CLASSIC

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/354383-dying-for-a-drink/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A 1980s film about the dangers of trespassing on pylons and electricity sub-stations.

The teenage actor grabs some cables and gets fried. I think most people in the class were laughing. Poor form

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    A 1980s film about the dangers of trespassing on pylons and electricity sub-stations.

The teenage actor grabs some cables and gets fried. I think most people in the class were laughing. Poor form

Play Safe

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Sounds like the film that I linked in the first post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Was anyone shown this one back back in the day? I wasn't thanks be to feck, think it would have put me off sex for life.

Another one I remember from circa early 90's was about job interviews (was close to Leaving Cert time). The only bit I clearly remember was a guy in punk regalia walking into an interview and the narrator saying something like "you're not going to impress them with a ring in your nose".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

This wasn't something I saw in school, rather it was at a summer job I did during the 90's in the Hasbro factory in Waterford. It was a health and safety video hosted by Pat Kenny which was obviously from the 80's because he was wearing those huge glasses that were (for some bizarre reason) fashionable then. It was him basically showing you how to lift things properly or wear proper ear defenders around heavy machinery that sort of thing. I had a look on youtube but couldn't find it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Farm safety video with yer man off Glenroe. Dangers of slurry pits, tractors and chemicals.

We were shown this in secondary school. It felt horribly dated even then though I don't think it was that old when we saw it.

I vaguely remember one we were shown in primary school in the early 80's. I'm pretty sure it was a newsreel film on a projector and not a video. It was a short film about a boy in the Phillipines who becomes an altar boy, it was acted, not a documentary. If I remember right it was shown to us by a priest who had something to do with Africa and Far East magazine and was calling to the school.

We had those priests (from "the missions") calling too. God, I remember Far East magazine.

I used to get the Far East magazine.

We had those priests (from "the missions") calling too. God, I remember Far East magazine.
    branie2 wrote: »
    I used to get the Far East magazine.

It's still around, and the title on the cover has exactly the same font design as I remember it having in the 80's.

Far-East-Cover-220x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Just had a flashback of being about 12 or 13 in secondary school and being shown an anti drugs video where it turned out the little girl's older sister 'Suzanne was on da heroin'.

For some reason that sentence has always stuck with me, we found it particularly hilarious being in a fairly rural school down the country with absolutely no clue what heroin even was, we were a bit too young for any warnings like that!

Radharc - Dying For A Drink

Watched it in Civics class, 1985 or 1986

CLASSIC

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/354383-dying-for-a-drink/

We were shown that too. I remember everyone laughing at yer man wearing the "Hows The Crack" t-shirt on honeymoon in Miami.

Ha ha, forgot about the stroppy drunk young wan calling the guard "fcuking pig!" That got a lot of laughs. And the droll voiceover commentary, "In fact she was carried out roaring"

Our teacher recorded "The Rock and Roll Years'- the BBC equivalent/original of RTE's (actually very good) "Reeling in the Years" in the mid-80s and showed it once a week at History class- great times :)

Another one from secondary school 1990-ish just popped into my head. It was Irish made anti drugs educational film. One bit had this fella imagining what life would be like as a junkie and wondering how hard it would be to carry out muggings under the influence of heroin. Then it showed him being beaten up by a bunch of old ladies, it felt like the Hells Grannys sketch from Monty Python. There was a rap as well that had a line that went "I don't want to be like something out of Judge Dredd" or something like that, I remember there was a Judge Dredd reference but can't remember exactly how it went.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - for cultural post-modern enrichment one can only assume.

Our French teacher had these VHS videos taped off French TV when she came back from holiday she'd play them to us to try and improve our French. I remember an ad break and one ad had a black girl at which a couple of d!ckheads in class started chanting the n word.

She used to play us the video of Vanessa Paradis Jo La Taxi as well.

Not one I saw but apparently in the UK in the 80's the Boy From Space regularly used to be shown to kids in primary schools. To what educational purpose I have no idea but it must have caused a few nightmares.

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

"Shudder"

Remember the Simpsons episode where the school is made to watch a sex education video with "Fuzzy Bunny" and Lional Hutches line at the end "now that you know what it is don't do it"? :pac:

"Shudder"

Remember the Simpsons episode where the school is made to watch a sex education video with "Fuzzy Bunny" and Lional Hutches line at the end "now that you know what it is don't do it"? :pac:
    It worked though, virtually zero sti's, virtually zero unmarried Mothers, everyone married and happy (although we did have rampant child sex abuse, corruption and poverty).

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

judeboy101 wrote: »
    It worked though, virtually zero sti's, virtually zero unmarried Mothers, everyone married and happy (although we did have rampant child sex abuse, corruption and poverty).

In the 80's? This was the era of AID's and there were plenty unmarried mothers though it would have been more frowned upon then.

Aids in Ireland in the 80's? Not in Leitrim , same goes for unwed Mothers. I think there was a place in Sligo they went to but can't be sure. It was a simpler time where every black person was either a doctor or a biafran. It was a time where you had only alter boys but for some strange reason no alter boys at the 8:30 Sunday mass with Fr. O'donnell, strange.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Teenage pregnancy rates were vastly higher then than now. People just hid the problems. Women were being thrown in to the homes in the 80s just at a lower rate.

Also, Leitrim is so small (and had even less population then) it really can't be used to judge the prevalence of anything.

As goes married and happy - no divorce, marital rape legal...

L1011 wrote: »
    Teenage pregnancy rates were vastly higher then than now. People just hid the problems. Women were being thrown in to the homes in the 80s just at a lower rate.

Also, Leitrim is so small (and had even less population then) it really can't be used to judge the prevalence of anything.

As goes married and happy - no divorce, marital rape legal...
    Sure if they were hidden, how do you know they were high?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The actual stats don't lie. People's memories, clouded by nostalgia certainly do.

Ireland was as horrible place in the 1980s in about every way imaginable. That awful useless sex 'education' video leaving people ignorant and realistically making things worse was just one element

Advertisement