Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surlaw - Ireland's Guilty Pleasure Number Ones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I presume we're picking the 10 best, not the 10 worst ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I actually hadn't heard a lot of these before! Some of them I can understand why ;)

Submitted now - Was easy to pick my top 6 - the bottom 4 were tricky

I didn't listen to two as I didn't need to know they'd be 19th & 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Rikand wrote: »
    I presume we're picking the 10 best, not the 10 worst ? :)

Pick the ten you dislike the least :D

11 entries so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Zaph wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, there's more cheese there than in a branch of Sheridan's.

And my cheese is of a higher calibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Rikand wrote: »
    Thank you for ruining that song for me forever

giphy.gif

Kolido and JP Liz V1 makes it thirteen victims... entrants! Your sacrifice will not go in vain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That was close - ten songs were culled in the first pass. I was worried it would be 11 and I'd have to listen to them again to revive one :pac:

Won't give away too much about my voting intention (clear number one, absolute choon!) but...

Ice Ice Baby is so, so terrible isn't it?
    One of those songs I haven't heard for a decade or so. Probably haven't heard it sober for a couple of decades. There was a version in my head that was alright, then I listened to the actual song and, hell, is that what it actually sounds like? It's garbage!

One of those songs I haven't heard for a decade or so. Probably haven't heard it sober for a couple of decades. There was a version in my head that was alright, then I listened to the actual song and, hell, is that what it actually sounds like? It's garbage!

Was one of the ones I refused to listen to.

Under Pressure is one of my all time favourite songs and for him to rip it off like that with that abomination is unforgiveable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ice Ice Baby is so, so terrible isn't it? One of those songs I haven't heard for a decade or so. Probably haven't heard it sober for a couple of decades. There was a version in my head that was alright, then I listened to the actual song and, hell, is that what it actually sounds like? It's garbage!

It's great :D

lassykk wrote: »

Under Pressure is one of my all time favourite songs and for him to rip it off like that with that abomination is unforgiveable
    Absolutely, I've always hated the use of that sample, but I least thought the rapping over it was... competent. It's really not :eek:
    Necro wrote: »
    It's great :D
    It's not :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Won't give away too much about my voting intention (clear number one, absolute choon!) but...

I remember when it came out first a friend told me his teenage sister was raving about this great new song. She played it for him and he told her that it was a sample from an older song, but she refused to believe him that something that sounded so cool could be old. He had to go and dig out his Queen records and play it for her before she'd believe him.

I think I actually scored it relatively highly, but that's more a reflection of how bad I thought so many of the others were rather than how good I think it actually is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

EN secretly you love it, just let it flow over you

tenor.gif?itemid=12437930

Necro wrote: »
    EN secretly you love it, just let it flow over you
    No, this is the thing, I thought I did kind of like it. It turns out my memory has improved it so much that the original is jarringly bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Anyhoo. . .
    I'm in.
    In general I despise the term "Guilty Pleasure". I will most certainly not feel guilty for the songs that I like.
    On that note I only had to go through the songs once just so I could listen to the few songs I didn't know. I had the top-6 ranked before listening and it was just a case to decide the last 4.

But great category Shane, thanks for organising!

Zaph wrote: »
    I remember when it came out first a friend told me his teenage sister was raving about this great new song. She played it for him and he told her that it was a sample from an older song, but she refused to believe him that something that sounded so cool could be old. He had to go and dig out his Queen records and play it for her before she'd believe him.

I think I actually scored it relatively highly, but that's more a reflection of how bad I thought so many of the others were rather than how good I think it actually is.

I had a similar argument with a few people over the Eminem song that samples Aerosmith Dream On. I don't hate Eminem but at the time I loved Aerosmith so was highly offended by the sampling :D

I had a similar argument with a few people over the Eminem song that samples Aerosmith Dream On. I don't hate Eminem but at the time I loved Aerosmith so was highly offended by the sampling :D

How do these people get through their lives not knowing that, same with Ice Ice Baby? I'd be a fan of both and loved it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd be in the Ice Ice Baby is awful camp... whether I awarded it points or not is an entirely different story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Word...

Fzjb.gif

I'll play :D

The definitive list has just been sent in.

16 entries already.

Reveal will be this weekend

ShaneU wrote: »
    16 entries already.

I'm too late?

I'm too late?

No, entries still open. Hopefully we'll get to 20

Speed Surlaw, LeVar will be delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Speed Surlaw, LeVar will be delighted :D

Its the Walruses that are in desperate need of a speed injection... It feels like its been 84 years since we last had a new sign-up for Walrus.

Although speed Surlaw is also good.

Umm not exactly sure what happened but I tried to move everyone's pms to a separate folder and now they've all vanished. So If everyone could go to their sent items and forward it to me that would be great :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Umm not exactly sure what happened but I tried to move everyone's pms to a separate folder and now they've all vanished. So If everyone could go to their sent items and forward it to me that would be great :pac:
    lumbergh.jpg

Advertisement